Aug is Utah Cold Case month and the Utah Cold Case Coalition is featuring Rosie Tapia's case
Click on Rosie Tapia's Thread and help Websleuths find Rosie's killer

Anthony's Computer Forensics

Discussion in 'Caylee Anthony 2 years old' started by DAWN TREADER, Aug 19, 2008.

1. DAWN TREADER

DAWN TREADER New Member

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/orl-caylee0808aug08,0,4938442.story

Excerpt:

Detectives obtained some of Anthony's e-mails and found one that appeared to be from a worker at Universal Studios, where Anthony said she worked as an event planner. The supposed sender of the e-mail, about an upcoming Universal event, does not work for the company and the e-mail domain of the sender's address was invalid.

I wonder if LE is investigating the origin of this email to determine who might have sent it, if not a worker from Universal Studios? Obviously they know WHEN it was sent but as far as I know, that information hasn't been released publically. (If I'm wrong - please let me know because I would love to know the date of the email)

Also, given that Casey was apparently using a computer for social networking (Myspace) I would imagine LE would want to examine all computers she might have used or had access to (e.g. parents, brother, boyfriend, girlfriend, blackberry, etc.) to gleen information helpful to the investigation and timeline.

2. Loading...

3. olive

olive New Member

Good idea for a thread. Yes, I think LE would have to have ALL the myspace and facebook records, as well as those uncovered here by our sleuthers. (you're welcome, LE :)

They are not hard to obtain by LE.

I'm sure they've traced the fake Universal email as well. You can basically find out anything through tracing web and computer records. Probably the best evidence they have. I have no doubt that if they prosecute Casey those will be a major factor in the prosecution considering how many sites she posted to and the trail she left. She may not have left much of a trail elsewhere, but she sure did love the internet.

4. DAWN TREADER

DAWN TREADER New Member

Shouldn't be too hard to find the ISP of the email sender. Just hope we hear more about this because I do feel it's an important issue.

5. DAWN TREADER

DAWN TREADER New Member

IIRC, emails found on Chandra Levy's computer was one of the reasons why the police searched the park where her body was ultimately found a year later by someone walking their dog.

6. imnotheonlyone

imnotheonlyone New Member

There are many email anonymizers out there on the net - anyone can send someone an email anonymously by funneling it though the anonymizer ... the send can make it look like the email came from any given name/company, etc. that they choose...

7. JBean

JBean Retired WS Administrator

Great thread. Have we heard anything about anything on Casey's computer in general?

8. technicalconfusion

technicalconfusion Curses! Foiled Again!

It is extremely easy to spoof an email. Extremely easy. Right from your own mail program.

9. DAWN TREADER

DAWN TREADER New Member

Regarding the subscriber identity module (SIM) card that Casey mentions in the interview with her brother -- there are ways to recover deleted data and text messages from celluar phones. SIM RECOVERY PRO is one way I have heard of. I need to research what exactly the nature of their conversation was about the SIM card and why they were even talking about it.

10. technicalconfusion

I would bet a dime to a donut that any site she has used and registered with has been subpoenaed for all of their log files, accounts, anything pertaining to
    Casey, Caylee, her family, et al. If the hosting company is on the ball, they will have kept logs for months, if not a year.

11. ThoughtElf

ThoughtElf Former Member

True, but that is beyond the capabilities of most end-users, at best most could spoof on parts of the headers. Annonymus service is a better bet.

12. ThoughtElf

ThoughtElf Former Member

IIRC, Casey said she switched the SIM between her two cells.

13. DAWN TREADER

DAWN TREADER New Member

Yes, good point. But even a proxy server can be subpoened.

14. technicalconfusion

Not really. Ok, someone who has issues turning on their computer might have a problem, but anyone who can setup their email in outlook or thunderbird can in fact do it.

15. ThoughtElf

ThoughtElf Former Member

But would the average user either know that, know where to read up how to do it? Not arguing the point, just too jaded with years of tech support to believe that would be as likely as using a web service to do it.

16. technicalconfusion

If they knew what to search for. I know where you're coming from, re the tech support.

17. ThoughtElf

ThoughtElf Former Member

Agree on both counts.

I'd like to get my hands on any of the Anthony's pcs.

18. DAWN TREADER

DAWN TREADER New Member

So the SIM card in the cell phone the police have is the SIM card from the lost phone?

19. technicalconfusion

Field day!

20. ThoughtElf

ThoughtElf Former Member

No idea. That was where I got extremely confused during the Lee call. It didn't make sense to me that she had the SIM in the existing phone, yet she referenced a lot about the lost phone. How did the SIM card get back in the cell she was using. Wouldn't the SIM have been lost when she lost the blackjack?

Edit to clarify: she told Lee during a taped conversation that was released that she swapped the SIM back and forth between phones.

21. DAWN TREADER

DAWN TREADER New Member

Ok, I found the transcript of the jail phone call with LEE about the cell phones and SIM Cards and all I can say is Casey seems to have an answer for everything and anything and yet at the end of the day - it seems to me she really doesn't provide any information that is particularly helpful. Is it just me, or does anyone else see it that way?

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/p...ale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1