Anyone Else Freezing Up?

Discussion in 'Welcome To Websleuths' started by hopingicanhelp, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopingicanhelp

hopingicanhelp Well-Known Member

When we first switched over to this new format, I loved it. Now, for about the last week, I'm having the following problems on a daily basis:

1) Site moves extremely slow -- even as I type (and even when I'm typing in my sign-on info), there is a delay. It seems like it's constantly "buffering" for lack of a better word
    2) Screen often goes blank or partially gray
    3) It does not matter which browser I use
    4) I clean out cookies/cache regularly -- just did, made no difference
    5) Depending upon the forum I am in, I am now getting a "Not secure" warning or icon (depending on browser) in the web address -- related to "unsecure content". Is it the ads on those particular pages? I just noticed same warning now as I try to post.
    6) Sometimes my screen has "seizures" and wants to fight me, continually taking me back to whatever video ad is embedded at the bottom of the page
    7) These issues "freeze up" my computer to the point that I have to use task manager to close out of the browser altogether as well as everything else I have open.

So, I've run all the checks/maintenance and cleared out everything and nothing works to fix these problems. I can read through posts while logged off and avoid these problems, but logging on to participate is asking for trouble. Anyone else? Any suggestions?

PS - this is my 4th attempt to get this posted

2. cpeacock1

cpeacock1 Verified family member - Allison Renee Smith case

It’s a constant battle for me. I would say more but I’m lucky to get this comment posted

3. hopingicanhelp

Well, I guess it's a relief that it's not just me??? That means, at least, it's not user error I hope!

4. Gooddeeds

Gooddeeds Former Member

Can you move over to the Welcome to Websleuth thread for this? We are with you and want to keep it going in one place for the obvious reason of getting feedback to Admin. We are equally flustered.

Thank you Hope!

margarita25 and Laughing like this.
  5. Gooddeeds

Gooddeeds Former Member

margarita25 and Laughing like this.
  6. Aescwynn

Aescwynn OMG Vapor Maid Sticky Buns Butterscotch, take me a

Yes. I have been out of town since Friday, so I’m using my iPad. The site is super laggy and buggy on this format, and pretty much unusable on the Chrome browser (which I prefer.) Things are more manageable using Safari but still reallllllllly slow.

charminglane and Laughing like this.
  7. Hazelnutty

Hazelnutty Kindness Matters

Same! Extremely frustrating

8. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Well-Known Member

yup, really frustrating. And I don't know the right words to explain it so I will continue to follow the dialogue for as long as I can before I have to scream and just log out (again).

9. hopingicanhelp

Thank you everyone - I didn't see the Welcome #2 thread for some reason -- moved link to this thread and my OP over to Welcome to Websleuths #2 Welcome To Websleuths # 2

10. totesmagoat

totesmagoat Well-Known Member

Thank you! I thought it was just me! I’m about ready to give up! It started out fine for me too but this past week has been difficult.

11. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when the ad stream switched in the previous version -- when the rhyming tourism ads started I was essentially shut down. Sigh.

12. totesmagoat

totesmagoat Well-Known Member

Is it the ads? I don’t think I noticed them until things started slowing down.

13. charminglane

charminglane Helcat!

Anything longer than about 4 sentences and I have to have a do-over. No saved to draft as before, just poof! Gone.

14. Jewels53

Jewels53 Well-Known Member

I am not sure what the issue is for everyone, I haven't had any problems since the move.

15. hopingicanhelp

I don't know for sure if it's the ads or not, but since I followed some advice here and downloaded extensions specific to each browser (for Edge, for Chrome, for Mozilla), I have not experienced the slow-down lag (so far, crossing my fingers). I am learning from others who have tried to help by posting links and names not to do that, but basically you want to block the ads, with block being the verb and ad being the object. Therefore, you'll Google in the singular as "ObjectVerber for [insert browser here]". There are privacy things you want to read thoroughly and decide if that's for you. I know this is elementary to some, but I can be too when it comes to technology. hth!

16. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

I'm on an iPad. I'm getting the black/gray pages and very slow scrolling.

17. ?mysterian?

?mysterian? Well-Known Member

I'm another iPad user. The website for me is slow, reloads constantly, losing what I'm posting, and now I'm getting black/gray pages. Also takes several times before I can "like" a post.

18. charminglane

charminglane Helcat!

My issues are with the iPad and now, Kindle Fire.

BayouBelle_LA, 8paws and Laughing like this.
  19. 8paws

8paws Member

Websleuths page freezes up on me often and I have to click out and get back on. THat's on my laptop. NOW , on my IPad, I've had nothing but trouble. It will go to the Websleuths site but when I click on a thread to read, it kicks me off to home page. I have reset IPAD and cleaned out cookies and cached. I don't know what else to do.

20. Hazelnutty

Hazelnutty Kindness Matters

Seems worse today. Incredibly frustrating, but im too addcted to give up. Took a very long time to type this post. Like type a few letters, wait wait wait. Give up. Come back. Type a few more. Wait wait wait. Walk dog. Type a few more let.... rs...ugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.