AR - Debra Stevens dies in flash flood, rude 911 operator Donna Reneau, Fort Smith, 29 Aug 2019

All of this would have been helpful to the woman instead of insulting and berating her. I kind of thought that was 911’s job? To help you be as safe as possible while waiting for rescuers. Talking you through CPR, delivering a baby, how to get out of your flooded car....

Learn What You Should Do If You're in Your Car During a Flash Flood

• Do not stay in a flooded car. If your vehicle is surrounded by floodwater, abandon the vehicle and move immediately to higher ground.
  • If your car is swept into the water and submerged DON'T PANIC! Stay calm and wait for the vehicle to fill with water. Once the vehicle is full, the doors will open. Hold your breath and swim to the surface.

How did she not see the water?

Was her head/floodlights not on?

I can imagine what happened is that she probably saw wet pavement ahead but didn't realize it was a flooding parking lot and road until she’d driven into it. And by that time it was too late.

If you watch the body cam video posted up-thread you can see that the parking lot grading was very inconsistent, and the depth of water in places varied quite a bit. And there were areas that were not flooded at all. I can definitely see her being unclear that she was driving into a deeply flooded area.

So very sad.

How did she not see the water?

Was her head/floodlights not on?
It's very easy to drive in a flooded roadway, especially at 430am. It's not easy to see a road is flooded until you're in it...She was driving in an area she had not previously traveled by her own admission on the recorded call trying to get to her paper delivery route. I find that admonition by the dispatcher grossly repulsive. I live in an area where places flood now that never flooded before. I also believe there's more to this story. The dispatcher was repugnant.

This shouldn't have happened. The sad thing is that so many people don't realize how easy it is to end up in a situation like that.

I don't know emergency-call protocol but all it would've taken is two seconds to Google simple instructions of what to do in a sinking car. It would've been a better use of time. I believe with the right instructions Debra might have survived. Poor lady.

I hope that the dispatcher didn't leave for another dispatch position with a different location. She should not be working in this type of role ever again. If she left one position with this disaster to come to work for my company, I would rescind the job offer. I would never want her working for me. JMO MOO IMO

It appears that some people have crossed the line as to their response of the situation.

‘This will teach you:’ Police receive death threats over 911 call from woman who died in flood

Aric Mitchell with the Fort Smith Police Department said the department received death threats across all platforms, including written messages and phone calls.

“There isn’t anything that would rise to a threat level of concern, as most appear to be from out-of-state and include no specificity,” Mitchell said.

It appears that some people have crossed the line as to their response of the situation.

‘This will teach you:’ Police receive death threats over 911 call from woman who died in flood

Aric Mitchell with the Fort Smith Police Department said the department received death threats across all platforms, including written messages and phone calls.

“There isn’t anything that would rise to a threat level of concern, as most appear to be from out-of-state and include no specificity,” Mitchell said.

I agree that people are crossing the line. No one should issue a threat, either specific or vague. That said, the outrage from the public is fueled by the tepid and tone deaf response of the acting chief. When I think about the last moments of my or my loved ones' lives, I don't want to think that they were shamed, tortured or treated with disrespect. One of the reasons that many here at WS have joined the forum is to be the voice of victims. Even in the article where he states that the threats are out-of-state and not specific, he ignores that his words and the actions he makes on behalf of the department could cause harm to his employees. Just tone deaf, and unaware of the ways that he could enjoin his community with his first responders rather than minimizing the actions of this horrid ex-employee.

I agree that people are crossing the line. No one should issue a threat, either specific or vague. That said, the outrage from the public is fueled by the tepid and tone deaf response of the acting chief. When I think about the last moments of my or my loved ones' lives, I don't want to think that they were shamed, tortured or treated with disrespect. One of the reasons that many here at WS have joined the forum is to be the voice of victims. Even in the article where he states that the threats are out-of-state and not specific, he ignores that his words and the actions he makes on behalf of the department could cause harm to his employees. Just tone deaf, and unaware of the ways that he could enjoin his community with his first responders rather than minimizing the actions of this horrid ex-employee.

On one of the mainstream's article, and no I can't recall the link, it said he was the interim Chief. I doubt he's going to make it to be Chief permanently.

I agree that he is tone deaf. He doesn't realize that the outrage is due to how this woman was treated. The outrage is not necessarily that she could have been saved, as many of us have seen.

It is due to her callous and utterly shocking unempathetic regards to her caller which many of us here who follow cases associate with sociopaths who have no empathy.

Moo

There are standards and protocol and written verbal examples for 911 operators when there are babies born and what to do if they have the right software for the operators. Perhaps something that will come out of this is the proper software responses for 911 operators and questions to ask to calm people down, tell them where to go in the car, tell them that they can take the headrest out to bash out their windows with those very strong spikes as if you are underwater, you cannot open the door if your windows do not work.

We have learned that she had no ability to swim, but yet, the lack of empathy is what we here at websleuths see with sociopaths. And I think that is what upsets me more than anything.

Moo

Perhaps there is nowhere in the United States that has a 911 standard operating procedure for somebody who is trapped in a car. If so, that needs to be changed. Someone Upstream posted that they should stay in the car until it gets up to the very top roof. I very very strongly disagree with that direction, but I don't know enough about it. I know I would bash my window out with a headrest before I had one in are at the very top and hoping my door would open because the pressure was the same. I would not risk it. I would bash the heck out of that window.

I would MINIMALLY hope that we learn, through following this thread, the best way to save ourselves in this situation, and if anybody has more information and how law enforcement handles it in other areas I would love to learn.

Especially right now with a hurricane off Florida where flooding and water is the most common reason for deaths.

Last edited:

I totally agree. And again, death threats are completely inappropriate, but darn it of his first interview didn’t burn me up. When he said (paraphrased): “I wouldn’t even say she violated protocol” :mad: Tone deaf is indeed the word. He should have been unabashedly vocal about the inappropriateness of the dispatcher’s actions and left no question that he was devastated. As it stood, his interview left me thinking he was actually quite callous and was primarily interested in protecting his (former) employee.

While such violent backlash from the community is uncalled for, I think much of it could have been avoided by the chief showing more appropriate responsibility and outrage himself.

Just repeating the same thing as you, but it angers me enough I want to repeat it.

MOO.

I totally agree. And again, death threats are completely inappropriate, but darn it of his first interview didn’t burn me up. When he said (paraphrased): “I wouldn’t even say she violated protocol” :mad: Tone deaf is indeed the word. He should have been unabashedly vocal about the inappropriateness of the dispatcher’s actions and left no question that he was devastated. As it stood, his interview left me thinking he was actually quite callous and was primarily interested in protecting his (former) employee.

While such violent backlash from the community is uncalled for, I think much of it could have been avoided by the chief showing more appropriate responsibility and outrage himself.

Just repeating the same thing as you, but it angers me enough I want to repeat it.

MOO.

It is so sad as I think this has been one of the cases that has had more National coverage from what I have seen on my Google Alerts than many cases, that I feel will not have follow-up because it is such a small town.

Unless the public and constituents specifically gets the media involved and interested on the local level to follow up oh, I have a feeling that this story is going to go away.

I hope not!

Is there an official Facebook post or any thing that we are allowed to refer to on this website is the follow-up? I still have not heard a response by the family oh, and I was thinking they might have done such.

Do law enforcement have scripts within their software which addresses people in Swiftwater within their cars? There's so many questions for the media to ask that I want answered.

It is so sad as I think this has been one of the cases that has had more National coverage from what I have seen on my Google Alerts than many cases, that I feel will not have follow-up because it is such a small town.

Unless the public and constituents specifically gets the media involved and interested on the local level to follow up oh, I have a feeling that this story is going to go away.

I hope not!
Yes, and the chief making sure to state he didn’t think she violated protocol naturally leads the public (at least me) to believe there will be no recourse. How could there be if the chief basically says the protocol was followed?! That is what I think is at the core of the public outrage. Well, that and the actions of the dispatcher of course. JMO.

Yes, and the chief making sure to state he didn’t think she violated protocol naturally leads the public (at least me) to believe there will be no recourse. How could there be if the chief basically says the protocol was followed?! That is what I think is at the core of the public outrage. Well, that and the actions of the dispatcher of course. JMO.

Indeed, we were outraged before, but more outraged now. Added insult to injury he did.

He did not even address that perhaps the systems need to be improved or their software to guide operators on what to say in a swift water rescue situation. Many law enforcement organizations have them, they are called expert systems where you click on something, and it walks the 911 operator under what to say. My guess is, they did not have that software for her to prompt the proper questions so she just verbally abused her m o o. He just said investigation.

Protecting liability?

Last edited:
That poor lady !!!
Terrified and her last moments on this earth were to be berated by an incompetent and callous 911 operator.
It's best if I sit on my hands at the moment.....

Rest in gentle peace, Debra.

I agree he should have said "While protocol may not have been broken I am appalled and disgusted at this dispatchers lack of empathy. I intend to ensure our dispatchers are retrained and include instructions on being trapped in a flooded car. Even if Ms. Stevens could not have been saved the least a dispatcher can do is comfort that person in their last moments. I am devastated that this occurred and I am going to see it never happens again."

Indeed, we were outraged before, but more outraged now. Added insult to injury he did.

He did not even address that perhaps the systems need to be improved or their software. He just said investigation.

Protecting liability?

I do think that it is probably protecting liability as well as an outdated perspective that LEO organizations have little to answer for. There are many public relations people who would have been able to help him (and the town/city) craft a reasonable, measured, and reflective statement that would be honest and reassuring to the community at the same time.

People sue all the time regardless of whether their case is strong in terms of the actions of others. From a liability perspective, he could have protected the city/town equally without using the words to back this person as he did. When he talked about battling rudeness he opened them up further by stating he has a problem but has been ineffective in fixing it.

I agree I don't think he will be hired. I also think the mayor and the council and the LEO leadership need to sit down and figure out how they can move forward in light of the horrid treatment received by one of their town's citizens. They probably would not have been able to save her but they can figure out how to treat people with respect. Training and policies with teeth are needed here. I hope her family and friends and neighbors stay vocal.

A woman was delivering papers in Fort Smith Arkansas. She called nine-one-one for help, and the over 25 minute 911 call is just unbelievable as to the rudeness of the operator, Donna Reneau, while this woman was dying. I just cannot believe the insensitivity of Donna Reneau at 911.

In the past couple of hours they have deleted the last few minutes of the audio of the entire phone call. I have not taken the time to research it because it is too upsetting.

WARNING very graphic and I follow a lot of cases, but this has me wanting to throw my phone up against the wall and to call and complain.

But alas and alack, the department has said that this phone call was done on Donna Reneau's last day ( within the article it said that she had put in her resignation and this was her last day) and her last shift at the 911 center, and they cannot do anything as far as to investigation.

I call bull*hit and I need to calm down before I post anymore. I actually took the time to listen to the entire call, but only listen to the audio if you really really really can take it because it is so very upsetting.

Horrifying 911 Audio, Body Cam Footage Released After Fort Smith Woman Drowns During Flash Flooding

There were about 10 shocking comments that were degrading to the person who died, and this was just one that they put in the article.

"The 911 dispatcher, Donna Reneau, can be heard telling Stevens "this will teach you next time don't drive in the water.."

"Graphic Warning: This story and the accompanying audio and video are graphic in nature, and the content may be disturbing. Though it was a difficult decision, we have decided to broadcast and post the 911 call for help after concerns were raised as to how dispatchers and first responders handled the situation. FORT SMITH, Ark. (KFSM) "

ETA- this situation with 911 upsets me as much as the one of Kyle Plush here on threads. <modsnip> Can't say what I really think right now.

Equally disturbing is the chief of police's justification and minimization of this cruel woman's response to a terrified, dying lady. L

The last words that poor soul heard on earth were cruel and heartless. I don't know how her loved ones will get over that.

She should be sued for intentional infliction of emotional distress. And if this call was within protocol, so should the police department be sued.

Disgusting.

This happened in my hometown where most of my relatives still live. I have read plenty about it today on facebook since the 911 tape was released. The final two minutes that were cut are listed in transcripts as basically Debra screaming she can't breath and the water in now coming in all around her. The 911 operator yelling back at her that she can breath because she is screaming. Then Debra's voice sounding like she is talking under water. The 911 operater says something to the effect of, "Oh my god, did they get to her, she is now underwater". Then the call is cut off. In the 24 minute 911 call so much time is wasted that could of been put to valuable use in finding Debra, correctly assessing the situation, and giving her lifesaving instructions in case help could not arrive in time. The 911 operator should of calmed and redirected Debra to focus on the information needed. Instead she chose to ridicule her and even lead her further into irrelevant conversation. Of course Debra was hysterical, she was fearing for her life and her life was in imminent danger. The 911 operator, who actually was awarded dispatcher of the year earlier this year, had around 5 years experience on the job. She knows how to calm and redirect people to get vital information needed. But it was her last night of the job and according to a text screen shot shared on local facebook pages from who I assume was a coworker, she just did not care. Her shift was almost over and it was her last night. Also another person wrote into the news station that they too were submerged in water and had called for help, spoke to the same 911 dispatcher and met with much attitude. However, another person who called in about 30 minutes before Debra and was also trapped in their vehicle and submerged in water said Donna Reneau, the same 911 dispatcher, was very professional with her. You can go to Garrett Lewis meteorologist facebook channel to read through the lengthy comments and find the two other persons comments whose vehicles were submerged in water and spoke with the 911 dispatcher Donna Reneau and to see what they had to say. The Ft Smith PD and FD were busy helping many people submerged in water as well as putting up barricades. Surrounding cities were also assisting the Ft Smith PD and FD. The area is prone to flash floods during heavy rains. They are in the river valley and in the past 10 years have had two 100 year floods and one 500 year flood. The 500 year flood happening earlier this year. Other areas nearby are prone to flooding drastically. It was just 9 years ago we had 20 campers drown at Albert Pike State Park during torential rainfall that dumped vast 6 - 8 inches of rain in a few hours. I remember that night. I was just an hour away and the storm was crazy. I never seen it rain that hard.

I didn't listen. But what you described sounds like criminally negligent homicide to me.

Baker said he can “completely understand” public concern over how Reneau handled the situation. He also speculated Reneau may have underestimated the importance of the call and not urged officers at other calls to respond as much as she could have, which may have led to Stevens’ demise.

Snipped and BBM.

I don’t say this lightly, but I think that because of the rising waters Debbie would’ve died anyway. It’s very sad, and worse that she knew it was happening. Even once rescue was on the scene, it wasn’t easy to actually rescue her b/c it was almost an hour between arrival and then finally getting to her car. I do think the 911 operator was extremely rude and didn’t do much to try and keep Debbie as calm as possible. I wonder why she was leaving (new job or something else?) I’m almost positive there will be a lawsuit, although like I said, I don’t think she could’ve been rescued in time anyway. I don’t think the police, fire, or whatever other emergency services were to blame.
Attached is the time chart released by the police:

See the above post.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member