GUILTY AR - Cassie Cotta 24, Fort Smith, 30 Dec 2011

I've been thinking the same, Clu. The only thing I can see that is changing is views on religion. I think a lot of people nowadays do not believe in a God figure and do not believe in an afterlife, therefor they do not care about their actions here on Earth.
(snipped by me)

I respectfully disagree. I am an atheist, and because of that I care as much or more about my actions here on earth than the many religious people I have encountered throughout my life. To me, life is about caring for others, doing no harm, and helping one another as best as we can during our time here. I don't believe that way of thinking is unique to me, either. IMO atheists are just the same as devout believers and everyone in between when it comes to the likelihood of committing murder or other criminal behavior. Is there any evidence that Brent was an atheist? I'm not being snarky - I'm curious if your line of thinking was in general or specific to this case.

What I really came here to say was that I am not at all surprised at the outcome (in fact it's exactly what I suspected from the beginning, given everything I saw on Facebook). Still, I am very very sad that Cassie's life was taken by her husband. She seemed like such a vibrant, lovely young woman who inspired devotion in her friends and family. I would have liked to have been friends with her, and I mourn her passing even though I never met her.

Police: Brent Cotta Admitted Killing Wife

Investigators Say Cassie Cotta Planned To Leave Husband

snip

Fort Smith police Sgt. Daniel Grubbs said a neighbor reported hearing the couple fight late Friday. A witness also told police that Brent Cotta had an SUV backed up to the door of the Johnson Street home.
Police said they can prove by cellphone records that Brent Cotta was not at the home at the time they believe Cassie Cotta disappeared.

Read more: http://www.4029tv.com/news/30132885/detail.html#ixzz1iVvgvmAT

I don't know if this has been posted, but in it he is sniveling and lying thru his teeth to find her. At the end I believe that is Cassie's mom he is hugging

Raw Video: Brent Cotta Talks About Cassie

http://www.4029tv.com/video/30131746/detail.html

I watched the interview and the video of Brent passing out flyers.

I've seen this many times, but it never ceases to amaze me. The perp/POI searching or giving an interview after killing the victim and you'd never know it by watching them or listening to them speak.

Jorelys Rivera-Ryan Brunn
Lauren Giddings-Stephen McDaniel

Two of the most recent that come to mind.

I watched the interview and the video of Brent passing out flyers.

I've seen this many times, but it never ceases to amaze me. The perp/POI searching or giving an interview after killing the victim and you'd never know it by watching them or listening to them speak.

Jorelys Rivera-Ryan Brunn
Lauren Giddings-Stephen McDaniel

Two of the most recent that come to mind.

I agree my husband and I were talking about that last night. How can you just go on a pretend nothing is wrong. Doesn't it eat you up. Heck, I can't even lie because I feel like the biggest loser ever and always come out and tell the truth right after I've said the opposite.

It seems that in these cases, the intial hours that LE spends with the last person to have seen the victim, i.e. the husband, boyfriend, are so crucial and need the most skilled persons available, as if they do not get cooperation right then, they seem not to get it at all. We tend to see the suspect leading LE to the body fairly quickly, or we hear that the suspect has an attorney and will not be speaking with LE, seldom both.
I commend this LE for obtaining what seems to amount to a confession so quickly and allowing Cassie to be found.

Again, I am overwhelmed, even as a spectator, at the outpourings of love for Cassie. I hesitate to even think of another victim who had such huge amounts of love and support sent her way the instant her disappearance was known.

Judging from FB pics and posts there, she and her husband seemed to live a kind of fast life -- probably normal for young people like them, fast to me. :)

I don't know if he is the jealous sort, but there are a lot of guys (and girls) posting on FB of their deep and intense love for Cassie (before she was found). There are also some pictures on her FB that may seem a little...on the edge, for lack of a better word. There are also pictures of him looking totally blotto.

The bar, and the bar scene, seemed to be a big part of their lives. (Not being judgemental, just stating facts, based on the pictures they posted, tweets, etc.)

She seemed like someone outgoing, that people gravitated towards. He seemed less so. Jealousy and alcohol can be a lethal combination.

I think the bar scene was a big part of their lives because Cassie was a bartender...

One of the headlines I remember was even "No New Leads in Bartender's Disappearance."

http://www.4029tv.com/news/30131226/detail.html#ixzz1iWTRtnNX

Cassie Cotta, 24, was reported missing on Saturday after she didn't report to the place where she worked as a bartender.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/abc329a346314e03a4d9e0a12aa6b9f0/AR--Missing-Woman-Fort-Smith/

Cassie Leigh Cotta, 24, was reported missing after she didn't show up for her bartending shift at Perry's Place Bar on New Year's Eve.

Police: Brent Cotta Admitted Killing Wife

Investigators Say Cassie Cotta Planned To Leave Husband

snip

Fort Smith police Sgt. Daniel Grubbs said a neighbor reported hearing the couple fight late Friday. A witness also told police that Brent Cotta had an SUV backed up to the door of the Johnson Street home.
Police said they can prove by cellphone records that Brent Cotta was not at the home at the time they believe Cassie Cotta disappeared.

Read more: http://www.4029tv.com/news/30132885/detail.html#ixzz1iVvgvmAT

If that is his booking photo on the murder charge, it looks like she got at least one good lick in fighting for her life. I did think it a tad strange that he was wearing shades while being interviewed prior...

If that is his booking photo on the murder charge, it looks like she got at least one good lick in fighting for her life. I did think it a tad strange that he was wearing shades while being interviewed prior...

His booking photo wasn't in the article earlier and yes it is a black eye. From an article yesterday the reporter stated that he was wearing sunglasses because he had a black eye.

I wish I could feel good about her getting a good punch in, but I can't because it just doesn't matter

I'm confused.. Does this guy have a permanent black eye because if you go to her FB page, in the photo album SAWEEEET BERRY WINE! there is a picture of the two of them laying down or something and it was uploaded in May of this year and he has a black eye. I saw this first before ever hearing of his black eye on the news, so when I saw him walking into the court house with a black eye, I thought is was very strange.

I think the bar scene was a big part of their lives because Cassie was a bartender...

One of the headlines I remember was even "No New Leads in Bartender's Disappearance."

http://www.4029tv.com/news/30131226/detail.html#ixzz1iWTRtnNX

Cassie Cotta, 24, was reported missing on Saturday after she didn't report to the place where she worked as a bartender.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/abc329a346314e03a4d9e0a12aa6b9f0/AR--Missing-Woman-Fort-Smith/

Cassie Leigh Cotta, 24, was reported missing after she didn't show up for her bartending shift at Perry's Place Bar on New Year's Eve.

Right. She was. But she also spent a lot of time drinking, as did her husband. The pictures on Facebook tell that particular story. Again, just the facts.

re him having a black eye in May I read that there were many calls to LE re domestic assaults by him and her. Think it was a very volatile relationship.

This guy not only ruined his own life by his jealousy, rage, etc...but look at all of the other people he has affected, not to mention the lives of his children. Just for being unable to act like a man. All of her hundreds of friends and her loved ones will be without her forever and most likely, so will his children.

Lots of men have been drinking too much since the beginning of time, but I don't think they killed their wives as often...or maybe they did and we just didn't hear about it, or it was considered their right to keep their wives in line, who knows. Anyway maybe we on WS are the only ones who see it as an "epidemic" but it sure does seem like it happens more and more.

As sad and tragic as this has turned out, I do have doubts that this murder was premeditated. All the same, you pretty much "can see it coming" now, looking back at the couple's past history.

RIP Cassie

This guy not only ruined his own life by his jealousy, rage, etc...but look at all of the other people he has affected, not to mention the lives of his children. Just for being unable to act like a man. All of her hundreds of friends and her loved ones will be without her forever and most likely, so will his children.

Lots of men have been drinking too much since the beginning of time, but I don't think they killed their wives as often...or maybe they did and we just didn't hear about it, or it was considered their right to keep their wives in line, who knows. Anyway maybe we on WS are the only ones who see it as an "epidemic" but it sure does seem like it happens more and more.

I think it happens more and more because you've got people who get away with it (not mentioning any names, we can all think of several) -- so people see it as a "do-able" alternative. I don't get it. Myself, I told my husband, "Listen, if you ever get that tired of me, just go for the divorce. And I'll do the same."

Everywhere we go, we see it. The news. TV shows. Here on WS. Nancy Grace and JVM, and countless other shows. We've lowered the bar. We're becoming desensitized to this as a society.

I don't think the fact that they were involved in the bar scene has anything to do with her death.

We've seen countless cases where supposedly upstanding citizens have tried to get away with murder. One that I recall is the rabbi in NJ a few years back that had his wife killed. I can't remember his name.

Anyway JMHO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher