AR - Former State Senator, Linda Collins-Smith, 57, found dead, June 2019 *ARREST*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by bubblepup, Jun 5, 2019.

1. PlateSpinner

PlateSpinner Member

According to the article posted above ‘More questions than answers in case of woman accused of killing former state senator’, her body was found in the driveway. It has been moved to the driveway from inside the house. IMO, the killer wrapped her in a rug and dragged her outside with the intentions of putting her in his/her automobile but the body was too heavy to lift. Sounds like they wanted to get rid of the body.

2. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

PlateSpinner, trujac, neesaki and 3 others like this.
  3. CHICANA

CHICANA Well-Known Member

Maybe she told who's behind this and she's in protective custody ?

4. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

The prosecutor trying the murder case against the Randolph County woman accused of killing former state Sen. Linda Collins unexpectedly asked to quit this week, after a similar request made by a judge assigned to the case.
    Third Judicial Circuit Prosecuting Attorney Henry Boyce was relieved by an order signed by Circuit Judge John Fogleman on Wednesday, according to a copy of the document provided by the circuit clerk's office. Fogleman himself was assigned to the case Nov. 26 after the previous judge, David Goodson, asked to be removed for unknown reasons.

Snip

Fogleman's appointment by the Arkansas Supreme Court last week made him the fourth judge to hear matters related to Collins' death.
    Prosecutor in death of former state senator asks departure; trial of woman sees another turn

trujac, watergirl62, neesaki and 7 others like this.
  5. Momof4RN

trujac, watergirl62, neesaki and 5 others like this.
  6. Momof4RN

Robert Dittrich, a longtime prosecutor from Stuttgart, this week became the latest official to be assigned to the case against a woman accused of killing former state Sen. Linda Collins of Pocahontas.

Dittrich will take over as lead prosecutor of the case. He was assigned Tuesday, according to an order from Randolph County Circuit Court.

Snip

It will now be up to Dittrich to decide whether to pursue the death penalty. He could not be reached for comment Friday.

Collins case has new prosecutor; change is latest of several

trujac, watergirl62, neesaki and 4 others like this.
  7. Momof4RN

In a statement released on Monday morning, the Collins family responded to the moves.

"We want to stress that the case brought by the State against the woman accused is strong, regardless of those who have recused from this case," read the statement from Ken Yang, a spokesman for Collins' family.

The statement continued, "Ultimately, we want the focus of this case to remain on bringing justice to Linda. Our hope is that Judge Fogleman will take the actions necessary to set this case back on track, and make it an urgent priority to provide transparency to the public in this case. Thank you all for your continued thoughts, prayers, and privacy to our family as the case moves forward.”
    Family of slain former Arkansas senator responds to recusals in murder case

8. Momof4RN

This is insane imo. Shouldn’t this case just be handed over to the Feds and tried in Federal Court?

trujac, Moonracer, neesaki and 3 others like this.
  9. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

I’m not sure if the Feds could step in but the Arkansa Attorney Generals office certainly could.

10. Tiger Stripes

Tiger Stripes Well-Known Member

Whole thing (all of the recusals, i. e.) certainly smells "fishy" to me... :eek:

ETA: Could those assigned to the case be receiving... *death threats* (were they to reveal anything), thus... their choosing to leave the case? (And... btw, if there were such a scenario, would that information [that every individual previously assigned has had their life/a family member's life threatened, i. e.] *also* be sealed? I wonder...)

11. ElizB

ElizB Active Member

I’m not surprised at the recusals. I’m sure lots of people in the legal community knew Linda either in her capacity as a state senator or through her ex-husband who was a circuit court judge.

trujac, watergirl62, neesaki and 10 others like this.
  12. Tiger Stripes

True. Hadn't thought of that, but it makes good sense.

13. Tobiano8th

Tobiano8th Well-Known Member

grunching here and i haven't read much of the thread.

1) so the other politican dying unexpectedly nearby around same time was pure coincidence... don't get me wrong, there's lot of coincidence out in the world..... if memory serves, it was never established early on that the murder victim politicians would have known each other. (different states and at least one was internal state legislature)...

2) any idea on motive for the alleged murder?... doesn't seem like there was any right away... money? adultery? mental illness? probably the big 3

14. Tiger Stripes

One source (my apologies here, since it's been awhile since I read the information, so I don't have the information at my fingertips) suggested that the former senator had been involved in anti human trafficking legislation (but... what potential connection that legislation may have to her demise (if any connection), I myself truly do not know).

I, also, am very interested in the motive. To take another person's *life*... And... for what reason? Just can't fathom any reason sufficient to excuse such a criminal act (JMOO).

15. GrilledCheezy

GrilledCheezy Creepin' on the interwebs

Whoa. Charged with soliciting to murder Collins' ex-husband and three others as well. What the heck?!

"The charges, filed in Jackson County, allege that Rebecca O'Donnell attempted to solicit the killing of Collins' ex-husband while being held in the county jail." As if she wasn't in enough deep doo-doo.

It's behind a paywall, but if you stop the page from fully loading you can read the article. Fun trick I discovered that actually works on a lot of sites.

Affidavit is here.

16. Momof4RN

Holy smokes! No wonder why everyone is recusing themselves.

17. Momof4RN

18. Momof4RN

Snipped from article

According to a probable cause affidavit filed on Tuesday, O'Donnell spoke to four different inmates at the county jail about arranging to kill Phil Smith, Collins' ex-husband, and have the death look like a suicide. O'Donnell is also alleged to have solicited an attempt to blow up her car to "destroy any evidence that may be in the vehicle," according to the affidavit.

Snip

Boyce, the former prosecutor, withdrew from Collins' murder case last year along with a judge who had previously been assigned to the matter. A new prosecutor, Robert Dittrich, has been assigned to handle the case.

No initial court date has been scheduled on the new charges against O'Donnell.

Woman held in killing of former Arkansas lawmaker faces new charges

19. meanmaryjean

meanmaryjean Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)

20. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh! This woman is completely nuts!