AR - Fully-Armed Sheriffs Remove 7 Homeschool Children from 'Prepper' Family

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by SStarr33, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

Every school district has tutors for children who are unable to attend school because of illness. The State is not now educating the Stanley children, they have been placed in public schools in Hot Springs.

2. MyBelle

I'm familiar with that school. It is part of the University of Arkansas system. iirc, you have to apply for admission so it is doubtful CPS considered it an option for the older Stanley kids.

3. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

BBM. Uh, no. Not in my personal experience. Just where are you getting this information???
    And why is having a tutor any better than public school??? You're still not having the mom & dad teach.

4. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

Good point LinasK. State paid tutors/educators would be giving the Stanley children state education, whether in a public school building or in their foster settings. So if the Stanley parents are objecting to the children being enrolled in and attending public school, how then would state provided tutors address those objections?

5. MyBelle

The father is a retired Southern Baptist minister. I'm familiar with his beliefs because I grew up in the South and evangelism was what they do. I don't share those beliefs, especially about gays or women being subordinate so I steer clear. This case is not supposed to be about religion. It is supposed to be about physical child abuse that warrants removal of children from their home.

The term, "chasten" and the fundamental Christian use of it isn't exactly new. Once a child reaches adulthood, they can choose whatever they want to believe.

JMO

6. LinasK

I'm thinking the real underlying objection is to them being around other children of different belief systems and lifestyles in public schools that might actually open up their children's eyes and make them think for themselves, and then they'd challenge their parents belief systems. If you keep them insulated from the world, they'll never know anything is wrong with it and that there are other ways to be.

7. MyBelle

Arkansas Statute. The children's school was in their home and foster care is supposed to provide continuity of education. Their books and lesson plans should be portable. These children were placed in a public school classroom before the court hearing. Younger children thrust into a classroom mid-year can be emotionally traumatized.The Stanley children have never attended school. They're used to their brothers and sisters being in the classroom with them. Since this started, nobody seems to be caring about the emotional toll this is taking on the children.

Pursuant to Ark. Code Ann. § 9-28-113, every school district must identify a foster care liaison

The statute provides that individuals who are directly involved in the care, custody and education of foster children work together to ensure the continuity of education services so that foster children:

remain in their schools of current enrollment whenever possible,

are moved to new schools in a timely manner when it is determined to be necessary, appropriate, and in their best interests, by the court.

http://www.arkansased.org/divisions/learning-services/foster-care-liaison

8. MyBelle

Where do you get that an EMT examined the children? An EMT is not qualified to make any examination of the children. They are technicians trained in emergency care only. The search warrant was for a mineral supplement. That information came from the search warrant, not from the father.

JMO

9. revampz

revampz Active Member

Sounds like dad is a religious zealout loonie to me..............I hope these kids get a chance of having some form of a more "normal" existence........otherwise they will become, like many in the past of similar upbringings, psychologist dream patients!>

10. MyBelle

BBM. What he "appears" to be has to be backed by actual evidence his children are endangered by his presence. The mother has not made any allegation her husband is abusive to her or the children. The Southern Baptist Convention takes the position that wives are subordinate. If she wasn't in agreement, I think she would have bailed out eight kids ago.

JMO

11. LinasK

Okay, but you still didn't answer my question. You stated that every school district has tutors for children in case of illness. I've never run into that in my whole life in California. Is this an Arkansas thing???
    And why would a tutor be preferable to the Stanley parents over public school? They're presumably going to teach the same public school curriculum, just without the influence of other children from different cultures and backgrounds.

12. MyBelle

when you live in a nation that features religious zealots on reality television as entertainment, it is no wonder psychologists have such a booming business.

JMO

13. 1&2&3

1&2&3 Well-Known Member

Is the homeschool program similar to the Core program that all US elementary schools are supposed to be using (as I understand)?

14. kalekona

kalekona Well-Known Member

I'm sure you know that statute is to prevent foster children from being switched into a different school every-time they switch foster homes. It has nothing to do with homeschooling.

15. IAMME

IAMME Active Member

I know for a fact that my local schools have no such tutors in public school, if the children are medically unable to actually attend school they are of course excused, and the parents are free to hire a tutor, the schools districts will however provide for speech, physical and occupational therapy for these children. I know of two different kids near me that are battling cancer and have followed their parents stories regarding all of these issues regarding their kids IEPs on Facebook. The focus is on getting the kids healthy enough to return to the classroom asap.

16. IAMME

IAMME Active Member

Nope, in arkansas homeschool parents pretty much have complete freedom as to which, if any, curriculum is used.

17. MyBelle

18. MyBelle

I've never heard of a district that didn't have substitute teachers on call. wow.

19. LinasK

A substitute teacher in a public school classroom is not the same thing as a school district hiring out private tutors for children in the home.

20. IAMME

IAMME Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.