AR - Josh Duggar Admits Molesting Girls As A Teenager - #2

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by LietKynes, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorrell skye

sorrell skye Well-Known Member

I don 't remember how they phrased it, but the parents said something about how it happens in lots of families.

IMO, this is their attempt to normalize incestuous sexual abuse, as if to say "We're not the only ones, so what's the big deal?"

As far as I'm concerned, if the parents are personally acquainted with other families in their extremist culture in which this is occurring, then something very serious and dangerous is going on.

When I looked at one of Gothard's lesson plans (that was posted in the previous thread), it was apparent that the entire lesson was centered around sex and the concept of chastity. I was flabbergasted. Why would a history lesson, or a chemistry lesson (that was being taught to children) be hyper-focused on sexuality?

That was a red flag to me, and seems to indicate that this extremist culture is inordinately obsessed with sex.

I suspect that many of the adherents to Gothard's teachings have skeletons of a depraved sexual nature rattling around in their closets, and are desperately seeking some method to keep those hideous skeletons hidden and under control, lest they be discovered, as has occurred in this case.

2. human

human Well-Known Member

Yay escapesc! You escaped and have a better life. You learned from it and made positive changes instead of going down the same path!!!!kudos!

I am sure it was not easy.

3. sorrell skye

sorrell skye Well-Known Member

Bless you escape2sc. ((((hug))))

Thank You for sharing the story of your journey.

4. NotALawyer

NotALawyer Member

Escape2SC, I am so sorry. Your story really clarified how these people work. Thank you for sharing.

5. Mrs G Norris

Mrs G Norris #JeSuisUrsa

I think it's no coincidence that we see a lot of sexual abuse happen in these so called 'purity' sects .. and yes, there is way too much focus on sex. My guess is yes, the Duggars do know a lot of families where this happens, wouldn't surprise me at all sadly.

Keep digging Duggars, you're doing a great job of letting everyone know what you're all about.

6. escape2sc

escape2sc Well-Known Member

Thought I should add. My younger sister is in LE , in a town not far from where my brother lived when he died.. She went to his memorial service and had an interesting conversation with a social worker . Apparently, in the last months of my brother's life, Social Services became involved as guardians for his teenage children ( son and daughter ) That converstation led my sister to do some research on her own. It seems LE and Social Services have been a constant presense in his life for decades , in all the different states he has lived in. Dozens of allegations from his friends with their children and from his own children's friends. Due to his moving around a lot , type of friends he associated with , shortage of case workers to continue follow up , etc the investigations could never turn up enough to charge him with anything.

7. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

I am so sorry as to what you have endured. That phone call is beyond sick and cruel. I hope you are doing well today and have/had a support system. I hear you. That is my biggest fear about Josh today. I agree they minimize their victimization. If there are not others due to their bubble world there sure is many more instances than Josh admitted to.

8. potboiler

potboiler Member

I feel this is a very important post. So many factors go into the healing process. It may be that creepy uncle soand so likes to squeeze a butt cheek and everyone knows and tries to avoid him. You may get caught one time and are able to take a shower and rinse the slimy away. ......But then someone you trust gets too intimate and you know its wrong, thats harder to get away from. Too many factors go into it besides just being asleep (yeah right), over the clothes etc. Who can you you tell? Are you told to get over it, it's no big deal?

Comparing wounds and minimizing what happened to someone on an arbitrary scale does a big disservice to victims.

jmo

9. Mrs G Norris

Mrs G Norris #JeSuisUrsa

Here is the full interview with the girls for those who missed it:

[video=youtube;PmEgQjKiHK8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmEgQjKiHK8[/video]

10. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

Just wondering, are the women/girls in this family somehow spiritually obliged to avoid cutting their hair (at least with respect to the general length of it)? Or do some have short hair? I've seen some (enough) episodes of the show, but I wouldn't pay attention to something like that.

11. Mrs G Norris

Mrs G Norris #JeSuisUrsa

Apparently JimBob the dad likes long curled hair, hence the hairstyles (I know)!

12. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

JMO, but seems like another sexual control issue. I just looked at those girls' hair, and had to think that it would have taken many years to grow it that long. I've got nothing against long hair, mind you. It just seems that if it is a policy, it is a sexual policy.

I can understand military branches requiring certain sorts of hairstyles, but they are of a different order of institution than is a family.

13. IzzyBlanche

IzzyBlanche Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the interview, just came across this quote. OH. EM. GEE.

As others have posted, normal 14-year-old males "a little too curious about girls" don't seek out 5-year-olds to satisfy their curiosity.

And usually it takes only one instance of whateveritis for humans to "satisfy their curiosity." Not multiple instances of whateveritis spread out over more than a year. I know that whenever I've done something to satisfy my curiosity, one time and I'm done. Anything beyond that becomes an interest.

"Mild, inappropriate touching"? As opposed to severe inappropriate touching, I guess.

"Most of it while the girls were sleeping." The fact that the victims were sleeping mitigates Josh's culpability? Shouldn't that make it worse, considering if they truly slept through the whole thing (which I doubt), that robbed them of their ability to fight back?

At least they did use the word "victims" in their attempt to otherwise downplay their brother's victimization of them and their sisters. Out of the mouths of babes, which these poor brainwashed girls are IMO.

And from the freeze frame in post 1109 that they are still adhering to Gothard's dictum for long, medium brown, wavy hair.

14. IzzyBlanche

BBM for focus.

You are correct. I know this from personal experience. I grew my hair similarly to the Duggars', not due to any external influence, but because I liked it that way. It wasn't until I was a junior in high school, as I recall, that it reached my waist after only maintenance trims from about age 7 or so.

15. BritsKate

BritsKate Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderf

I've never seen the show but have done a lot of research into the patriarchy/quiverfull movements (eerily, it very much mirrors what happens in an emotionally abusive relationship) - long and wavy (or soft curls) is considered the 'ideal' for ATI/IBLP female followers based on Gothard's teachings. There are dozens of accounts shared online expressing this. Here's one I found that's a perfect example of shaming someone into compliance:

http://heresyintheheartland.blogspot.com/2014/02/a-snake-for-fish-my-life-following.html

16. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

Thank you for such well-informed answers. While I have no issue with someone choosing to grow his/her hair long, I guess I have to question when people are compelled to do so. So thank you both, IzzyBlanche and BritsKate.

17. IzzyBlanche

In my post #1113 I referred to Gothard's teaching that the ideal hair for women is long, wavy, and light brown. Just wanted to add that I read that somewhere but I don't have the link handy. I'll try to find it later.

But the discussion of hair reminded me of something else I thought of: no way Michelle's hair (nor Jim Bob's for that matter) are completely gray-free at their ages. They have to be coloring it. Isn't that immodesty? I know immodesty doesn't apply to men in their worldview but still.

And also it looks to me as if Michelle's hair would take a long time to style, the bangs alone. Wouldn't that time be better spent caring for her 19 blessings from God instead of making herself look so pretty that her husband can't help but dry hump her at the Putt-Putt in front of their daughter?

Good grief these people make me want to hurl.

And what makes me want to projectile hurl is the $ they have earned with their self-righteous hypocrisy, $ that could have gone a long way toward good works performed by sincere Christians--and those of other religions as well--to help those in true need.

/rant

18. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

Clearly, hair that...distinctive takes a long time to groom, not to mention the money for the product. I'm no theologian, but I don't really see how spending that much time or money fits into any sort of a modesty plan.

Mind you, I'm all for people doing their hair as well or awfully or indifferently as they like. But I hope that if they spend a lot of time or money, they wont be making me feel guilty for spending whatever time or money I do on my hair.

And for what it's worth, I don't see how a pledge of modesty is consistent with being the focus of a television show about how wonderful ones family is. But that's just my opinion.

(It is also my opinion that these sorts of contradictions/tensions have to have some consequences for their many innocent kids. I hope they get help/break free.)

19. mrsobrien

mrsobrien Well-Known Member

II'I'd guess that the length of their hair is biblically required.

1 Corinthians 11:15

"But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her, for her hair is given to her as a covering."

The style though. ...I'll agree with you all, it's got to be "someone's" personal preference.

All I know is that my kinky Irish hair would not ever fit the bill, lol.

20. SCHMAE

SCHMAE Well-Known Member

My uber AOG family members do not cut their hair. However, they do not style it wavy or curly it or anything. But all of the daughters have long flat hair. Way past the waist is common . fwiw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.