NOTGUILTY AR - Thomas Naramore, 18 mos, dies in hot car, Hot Springs, 24 July 2015

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Knitty, Jul 26, 2015.

1. bluesneakers

bluesneakers not today satan

My nephew once fell asleep in the car after about three hours of being extremely agitated, crying, thrashing about, etc. So we got home and didn't want to wake him. We (my mom and I) were so freaked out at the idea of forgetting him we just parked in the driveway, rolled down the windows, and sat on the lawn until he woke up. And even then we'd still get up every so often to check even though we could see him. At the time we laughed at ourselves for being so cautious but now, looking back? I think we were right to be hyper-vigilant.

This happens too often and tragedy strikes SO quickly. :(

2. popsicle

popsicle faith hope love

3. panthera

panthera Retired WS Staff

It is beyond my comprehension how a parent can forget their child is in the car, especially for any length of time. Are parents (in general) so preoccupied with phone calls, text messages or everything else they think is important that they just walk away from the car? Is is because these car seats are in the back seat and not obvious when the parent is exiting the car? Every day when going to work and coming home, there are certain things I have with me that I get out of the car before going into my home. Some days it is one of the cats who has had to go to the doctor and they are on the front passenger seat. I could no more forget the cat (carrier) is on the seat and leave the cat (carrier) in the car! How much more so could one forget their human child who is often talking or making noise?

:(

MOO

4. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

My mom taught me the perfect trick. I did it religiously and it is FUN. I had a big huge teddy bear in each of the two car seats.
    When I put a baby in the seat, the teddy came up to the front passenger seat. My kids even enjoyed the game and loved that Teddy sat in their seat when they were gone.

When you have one or two HUGE teddy bears in the passenger seat, there is no way you can get out of your car and not notice them there. I never put them there unless my kids were in the back seat.

5. nitsirk

nitsirk Active Member

6. bluesneakers

:smile:

7. meanmaryjean

meanmaryjean Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)

He drove to a neighbor's instead of calling 911? Did I read that correctly?

8. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Please Everyone,

If you see a post that violates our terms of service alert on the post. Don't quote it and denounce it. Just creates a lot more work for the mods.

Thanks,
    Tricia

9. Sweetgrits

Sweetgrits New Member

This is the same question I had. Why DRIVE to the neighbors instead screaming your head off to alert someone for help?Why not walk into his own home or use his own cell phone (I guess he could have left his cell inside)?

10. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

Why didn't the learned judge not want the authorities to respond to his own house? How about call 911, get kid out, start CPR on shady place in driveway, garage, yard until help arrived? Why get in the car and drive him around longer in the boiling hot car? Who else was at his house?

11. wendybtn

Great. More turmoil for families already in turmoil. They will all be assigned a new judge(s) & have to wait for them to catch up.

12. wendybtn

I would just take the car seat inside, put it on the living room floor, let them finish their nap.

13. wendybtn

I vote for a SAH parent whose main job is to take care of children. If both folks are at work all day, using up 75%-85% of their daily energy, what is left after that? I have slept through alarms, ignored sounds for a text message, etc. Nothing beats a loving parent whose focus is the offspring. And I would never rely on a phone call from day care to prevent my child boiling in a vehicle.

14. Kaliste

Kaliste New Member

Very smart! I keep my diaper bag or purse in the back near the car seats now and still double and triple check I have everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Sweetgrits

Sweetgrits New Member

Isn't it sad that we would think to check for our briefcase, diaper bag, purse & that cell phone that grows out of most ears but we forget to check for a child? A living, breathing, human child. It bothers me that our priorities are so screwed up. And this isn't directed towards anyone, it's JMO

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

16. bluesneakers

We were afraid we'd wake him up again if we did that and he'd had a really rough afternoon. That's what I always did with my daughter though.

17. Margo/Mom

Margo/Mom Active Member

The car seat in the back has always bothered me. Granted it's the best protection in a crash. But crash dummies that generate crash data are not human babies. They cannot choke, undo the latch or lots of other things that might happen with a real kid. I applaud all of the memory triggers--because parents are human as well. Clearly a family is stunned and grieving today. And this can never be put right.

18. T4Tide

T4Tide Verified Registered Nurse

It's reading things like this that make me glad my almost 11 month old screams her head off every single time she's in her car seat. There's no forgetting her. ...she came with her own alarm.

19. Saltwithsavor

Saltwithsavor New Member

I've heard the judge is in jail...I'll post a link when I find it. FYI Arkansas is a great source for info.

20. popsicle

popsicle faith hope love

:what: