AR - Thomas Naramore, 18 mos, dies in hot car, Hot Springs, 24 July 2015

All I can find and recall about this case from the first 3 pages of this thread is that the Judge was in his home while his son was in the car seat in the car in the driveway. When he discovered his son in the car, he drove to the house of a friend for help. I do not recall anyone reporting the Judge made a 911 call.

There have been 911 calls released recently that weren't available in the beginning. And the judge has been charged now as well.

All I can find and recall about this case from the first 3 pages of this thread is that the Judge was in his home while his son was in the car seat in the car in the driveway. When he discovered his son in the car, he drove to the house of a friend for help. I do not recall anyone reporting the Judge made a 911 call.

None of this turned out to be correct. Here is an article summarizing what actually happened (at least based on what judge claims).
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...issued-circuit-judge-after-sons-hot/?breaking

The judge had his first court appearance today and plead not guilty. According to numerous reports, he and his wife were surrounded by supporters who tried to keep the media from filming them. One reporter was knocked down in the elevator as he had taken the stairs and reporters were trying to catch up. I believe this case is just going to go through the motions. I don't believe the prosecutor will really try to win, but it is to be a jury trial so not sure how that might play out.

The judge had his first court appearance today and plead not guilty. According to numerous reports, he and his wife were surrounded by supporters who tried to keep the media from filming them. One reporter was knocked down in the elevator as he had taken the stairs and reporters were trying to catch up. I believe this case is just going to go through the motions. I don't believe the prosecutor will really try to win, but it is to be a jury trial so not sure how that might play out.
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/mar/11/arkansas-judge-set-hearing-sons-death-hot-car/

I will never understand why people argue that this is not a crime when you do it to your own child, but everyone pretty much agrees that it would be a crime if you did it to someone else's child. If your actions result in someone's death, why should your relationship to the victim determine whether it's a crime or not?

And most people who lose a child, grieve, but you don't get off the hook because you'll be punished for the rest of your life as people have said.

The Sentinel-Record reports that Wade Naramore's attorneys filed a motion last week arguing that prosecutors hadn't disclosed requested material.

Deputy Prosecutor Charles Finkenbinder says all materials in his office's possession were turned over to the defense Tuesday. He says the distance between his Jonesboro office and the Hot Springs Police Department has made it difficult to satisfy the defense's disclosure requests.
http://ualrpublicradio.org/post/prosecutor-garland-county-judges-attorneys-have-whole-file#stream/0

This is MOO... I think there is a real possibility that he is covering for his wife. She could have placed Thomas in the car, thinking her husband was about to walk out the door. Maybe he was on the phone, or occupied with something and acknowledged her. My husband pretends to hear me with some form of acknowledgement quite often. :) It seems to me that emphasis was placed on the morning prayer with Thomas, to make it known that he knew he was in the car, along with the McDonald's stop. The afternoon errands have never been detailed publicly.

Wonder if there was a diaper bag in the car, and if so where it was located. I always carried one to travel even a short distance. Usually a bag is left with food, a favorite toy or naptime stuffed animal/pillow, etc when dropping off at daycare.

It was not mentioned if food was purchased at McDonald's for both of them....

I don't think this was done intentionally. Would love to hear answers to many questions. I believe sweet baby had already passed away when Dad returned to the car after three hours in court. Like others that commented, I believe there would have been an odor of feces. I remember leaving a soiled diaper in the car by accident a time or two. When it was hot, after a short period of time, we had to air the car out. When he was headed to daycare and said he heard a noise, it is possible there was a shifting sound, but a smell is more likely.

In hopes the truth will come out. Whatever that may be, all possibilities are sad and tragic. If he truly had a lapse in memory, and believed in his mind he had already dropped Thomas off at daycare, he will never get over the what ifs. I have on more than one occasuon drove off without paying for fast food, as someone else commented, have driven to a home that we moved from the previous month, looked for my phone while talking on it, etc... I have never forgotten my son anywhere, though. I am far far from Mom of the year, but can't imagine that happening. I thank God it never did, and hugged my 8 year old lil man a little tighter when I read this story. Can you imagine the quietness of the home without the 18-month old around anymore, or the guilt the father feels when his wife cries for her baby?

I have read comments on social media that he looks smug and without remorse. I think he looks as though he has aged significantly, and his eyes look as though he never stops crying. Instead of looking up and walking with confidence, he looks down, and clings to his wife. He looks like a broken man. I am not by any means saying he shouldn't, as I would be in an institution weaving baskets. It is just an observation and opinion.

From what I have read, many or most of these cases don't result in jail time. If the jury finds him not guilty, it is unlikely he will feel any joy or relief. Does anyone know if intent has to be proven? If so, I don't see that happening.

Morning efforts are detailed because he claims he forgot the child in the morning. Seem no point to detail afternoon efforts if they don't have anything to do with the case.

This is MOO... I think there is a real possibility that he is covering for his wife. She could have placed Thomas in the car, thinking her husband was about to walk out the door. Maybe he was on the phone, or occupied with something and acknowledged her. My husband pretends to hear me with some form of acknowledgement quite often. :) It seems to me that emphasis was placed on the morning prayer with Thomas, to make it known that he knew he was in the car, along with the McDonald's stop. The afternoon errands have never been detailed publicly.

Wonder if there was a diaper bag in the car, and if so where it was located. I always carried one to travel even a short distance. Usually a bag is left with food, a favorite toy or naptime stuffed animal/pillow, etc when dropping off at daycare.

It was not mentioned if food was purchased at McDonald's for both of them....

I don't think this was done intentionally. Would love to hear answers to many questions. I believe sweet baby had already passed away when Dad returned to the car after three hours in court. Like others that commented, I believe there would have been an odor of feces. I remember leaving a soiled diaper in the car by accident a time or two. When it was hot, after a short period of time, we had to air the car out. When he was headed to daycare and said he heard a noise, it is possible there was a shifting sound, but a smell is more likely.

In hopes the truth will come out. Whatever that may be, all possibilities are sad and tragic. If he truly had a lapse in memory, and believed in his mind he had already dropped Thomas off at daycare, he will never get over the what ifs. I have on more than one occasion driven off without the food after paying for it, as someone else commented, have driven to a home that we moved from the previous month, looked for my phone while talking on it, etc... I have never forgotten my son anywhere, though. I am far far from Mom of the year (too scattered), but can't imagine that happening. I thank God it never did, and hugged my 8 year old lil man a little tighter when I read this story. Can you imagine the quietness of the home without the 18-month old around anymore, or the guilt the father feels when his wife cries for her baby?

I have read comments on social media that he looks smug and without remorse. I think he looks as though he has aged significantly, and his eyes look as though he never stops crying. Instead of looking up and walking with confidence, he looks down, and clings to the hand of his wife. He looks like a broken man. I am not by any means saying he shouldn't be, as I would be in an institution weaving baskets. It is just an observation and opinion.

From what I have read, many or most of these cases don't result in jail time. If the jury finds him not guilty, it is unlikely he will feel any joy or relief. Does anyone know if the prosecution will have to prove intent? If so, I don't see that happening.

Statutes have been posted (and not those pertaining to intances of negligent homicide while under the influence), that seem to require at least knowledge that they were creating a risk. The Judge would know leaving a child in a hot car creates grave risk, but that is if one believes he knew the child was in the car. Unless the prosecution goes with Xanax as being under the influence, for example (and I have not been privy to tocicology results), I wonder if their burden will be met. If prescribed drugs were in his system, the defense could certainly assert that he followed the prescribed dosage, and would not have perceived the effects it would have on his thought process. I have read a lot about this case on social media, and there have been so many scenarios mentioned as if fact. None of what I am posting is known to be fact... just things I have pondered as I have read things throughout the past year. It would be great to see more thoughts and discussion on here. There are so many strong opinions about it on SM. Understandable, since there is a loss of an innocent baby boy.

That makes sense from their perspective. With all of the different scenarios people have been throwing out there, it just seems the defense would want to clear that right up. They certainly aren't obligated to at this point, but it could put an end to some of those comments. Those only create negative thoughts in the minds of potential jurors. My curiosity (which I realize is just that) is about how the baby wasn't noticed back there as the errands were being run. I suppose for the same reason he wasn't that morning. Dad thought he was at daycare, and the baby must have not been in view thru the rearview mirror. Wondering if he got in and out of the car, or went thru drive-thru. When I drive thru at the bank the teller always asks if my son would like a treat, smiles at or makes a comment about my son. My windows are tinted in the back, but he is visible. If he parked and went inside, it is possible that his windows are so dark people passing by couldn't see in.

My main hope is that everything is brought out, as even the smallest bit of info can possibly help prevent another tragedy. Whether it brings awareness to a parent, to people passing by vehicles, or daycare procedures, surely it can have an impact.

For those that want to follow along at home here is a link to a local reporter that is live tweeting from the trial. One of the same guys that live tweeted the Arron Lewis trial for the Beverly Carter murder.

Check out Drew Petrimoulx (@DrewPetrimoulx): https://twitter.com/DrewPetrimoulx?s=09

Edit to add: here is link to another reporter who also tweeted from the lewis trial. This one happens to also be a lawyer, so her perspective is interesting.
Check out Chanley Shá Painter

(@chanleysha): https://twitter.com/chanleysha?s=09

Also, I read that he judge has banned cell phone use in the courtroom, so the updates may not be as often as they were in the Lewis trial because they have to leave the courtroom and go in the hall to tweet.

Chanley Shá Painter ‏@chanleysha 37m37 minutes ago

Final jury is 6 women 6 men and 1 male alternate #ARnews #NaramoreTrial

Drew Petrimoulx ‏@DrewPetrimoulx 35m35 minutes ago Hot Springs, AR

Jury seated in #NaramoreTrial. 6 men. 6 women. One male alternate. #ARnews

Neighbor describes finding judge sitting in yard cradling son's body after child was found dead in hot car

Arkansas Circuit Judge Wade Naramore, 36, charged with misdemeanor negligent homicide in son Thomas' death

Eighteen-month-old was found unresponsive in back of his father's car

The toddler's core body temperature was found to be 107 degrees

Thomas was pronounced dead at the scene on tragic day in July 2015

Neighbor described finding the judge cradling his baby on front yard

Gerald Keith testified that he heard him repeating 'I killed my child

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-judge-sons-hot-car-death.html#ixzz4HXNtaP24

The defense has an expert witness on the stand today, Dr. David Diamond, a neuroscientist from Florida who is an expert in "forgotten baby syndrome".

I just realized it's the same doctor interviewed and quoted extensively in that Pulitzer Prize winning Washington Post article called "Fatal Distraction". They really pulled out the big guns for this one, although I can't say as I blame them. He did testify on that although he's being paid, there was an understanding from the beginning that if after studying the evidence, if he did not truly think it was an accident, he was not going to testify. I'm guessing from the fact that he's on the stand today that he came to the accident conclusion....or he wouldn't be here.

Here's the article. It's very long, but VERY good! If you've ever said to yourself "How could you ever forget your child?", you need to read this. It's can happen to anyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/fatal-distraction-forgetting-a-child-in-thebackseat-of-a-car-is-a-horrifying-mistake-is-it-a-crime/2014/06/16/8ae0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html

Defense is still presenting their case. There is talk of the trial going into Saturday (tomorrow).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back