Arkansas player ends game with noble gesture

Discussion in 'News that makes you smile!' started by AdoraBlue, Sep 24, 2009.

1. AdoraBlue

AdoraBlue I've been known to be a little too "woo-woo."

http://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=992976
    SNIP
    Thamail Morgan took the kickoff and headed up the field.

The two-time Arkansas all-state selection was headed for a touchdown.
    40 ... 30 ... 20

He glanced at the clock and saw the final seconds ticking away. He realized his team, Cave City, was on the way to a victory over Yellville-Summit, comfortably ahead, 34-16. He also realized two other things: This wasn't an ordinary game. And he wasn't the same Thamail Morgan. When he reached the 2, he stopped. He took a few steps back and took a knee at the 5-yard line.

Yelleville-Summit is a co-op program, a combination of two small rural schools in the northern part of Arkansas, near the Missouri border. Combining the schools allows them to field a football team.

On Sept. 11, before a game with Salem, the schools came together for a pep rally. Afterward, four of the players piled into the bed of Kymball Duffy's truck to head to his house for a pre-game meal.

As Duffy came over a hill, he quickly came upon a brush pile in the road. Duffy swerved into the other side of the road, attempting to avoid it. He lost control of the truck, sending it into a tumble.
    The four players in the back - whose names are not being released - were thrown from the vehicle. Miraculously, three of the players in the back suffered only minor injuries. A fourth remains in the hospital but appears to be headed for recovery. Duffy was killed at the scene. SNIP

Worth the read. I only wish the players had not ridden in the back of a pick-up truck.

2. Loading...

3. Lyn1001

Lyn1001 In constant need of a nap

Thank you for posting the story, it brought tears to my eyes.

4. Tranaice

Tranaice New Member

Great story, thanks for posting this. I really hope he gets a scholarship to a good school.