Armchair psych profile and personal background

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this case, I truthfully don't think it matters if the quote I added reflected Canadian or US. I feel his thoughts and motives are that a jury will be more likely to see things his way and that he will be able to outsmart them. Additionally, w his NPD, I am sure he still views the Canadian system as quite adversarial, or will as soon as things take another turn against him.

Those are my thoughts. I don't think any of us can truly be right or wrong here because we have no have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

Hmm, just to clarify, I definitely was not meaning to imply that you were "wrong" and my reply was "right".

It's too hard to say anything that definitive right now, as we don't have much to go on. I think we can say some things are more likely than others; but not that something is definitely right/wrong.

As for the jury selection, yes, in the end, I believe it's just a self-interested decision based on his own perceptions: he probably believes he can use his "good looks", "charm" and "145 IQ" (lol) to fool a jury overall for acquittal, or at the very least, manipulate a single juror, so that he'll have a hung jury, etc.

As for LRM's choice of a jury trial, I'm sure his choice is self-interested, like everything else. It's not about his "trust" but more about his own personal advantage.

We all know from LRM's interviews and online ramblings, that he is arrogant and self-regarding and probably thinks he can manipulate and outsmart a juror of average citizens better than a judge.

I don't have much to contribute on this subject; but I did want to pop in and say that I couldn't have said this better myself. Luka is very arrogant, fact. Luka did outsmart police for 18 months, fact. Luka did evade international police when he was the #1 most wanted man for almost a week. Fact.

He probably believes he will getaway with this. Not a fact, just my opinion :)

Im not sure if this has been posted yet in this thread....I have tried to keep up w/ the thread....This video was posted yesterday by Steely Dan on another thread...I thought it was fitting here...the latter part of the video (around 26min) talks about narcissistic psychopaths...

narcissists - full documentary - YouTube

if already shared...then just ignore me!

ETA....the entire video is good!!

Im not sure if this has been posted yet in this thread....I have tried to keep up w/ the thread....This video was posted yesterday by Steely Dan on another thread...I thought it was fitting here...the latter part of the video (around 26min) talks about narcissistic psychopaths...

if already shared...then just ignore me!

ETA....the entire video is good!!

Haha. That was awesome.

The "Self Aware" narcissist was fascinating.

But I am really shocked that NPD was used as a successful defense in that criminal trial. That is a ludicrous interpretation of the traditional "Disease of the Mind" requirements. But on the facts, it sounded more like he claimed "psychotic break", than simply he was a narcissist that murdered his parents.

Thankfully in Canada, personality disorders like psychopathy are unlikely to constitute "insanity defenses", simply because the psychopaths fully understand and appreciate the nature and consequences of their actions.

They know what they're doing is morally wrong (though they may not "feel" the morality, they understand the concept of social morals). They know what they are doing is illegal.

But they still commit the crime anyways, most often because they gain excitement from breaking the rules and pushing social conventions and because they lack any capacity to empathize with their likely victims.

I don't have much to contribute on this subject; but I did want to pop in and say that I couldn't have said this better myself. Luka is very arrogant, fact. Luka did outsmart police for 18 months, fact. Luka did evade international police when he was the #1 most wanted man for almost a week. Fact.

He probably believes he will getaway with this. Not a fact, just my opinion :)
I concur; however, I believe that he got away with the kitten killings simply because LE are generally understaffed and they are forced to prioritize things like child abductions and murders rather than acts of animal cruelty. I know this is difficult to stomach, but an understandable reality. What is mind boggling is that Luka was cocky and arrogant enough to think that because he got away with a few kitty killings that he could get away with killing a human (in a very public manner). Really, I feel it's testimony to how irrational his thought processes really are.

Just adding to what you said... It seemed more like a crime of passion following years of mental and possibly physical abuse. That's not to say he didn't also have NPD as a result of all that mental abuse. Still, it's a very different case from that of Luka who seemed to decide years ago that he hated people and wanted to kill them.

Haha. That was awesome.

But I am really shocked that NPD was used as a successful defense in that criminal trial. That is a ludicrous interpretation of the traditional "Disease of the Mind" requirements. But on the facts, it sounded more like he claimed "psychotic break", than simply he was a narcissist that murdered his parents.

Thankfully in Canada, personality disorders like psychopathy are unlikely to constitute "insanity defenses", simply because the psychopaths fully understand and appreciate the nature and consequences of their actions.

They know what they're doing is morally wrong (though they may not "feel" the morality, they understand the concept of social morals). They know what they are doing is illegal.

But they still commit the crime anyways, most often because they gain excitement from breaking the rules and pushing social conventions and because they lack any capacity to empathize with their likely victims.

Hmm, just to clarify, I definitely was not meaning to imply that you were "wrong" and my reply was "right".

It's too hard to say anything that definitive right now, as we don't have much to go on. I think we can say some things are more likely than others; but not that something is definitely right/wrong.

As for the jury selection, yes, in the end, I believe it's just a self-interested decision based on his own perceptions: he probably believes he can use his "good looks", "charm" and "145 IQ" (lol) to fool a jury overall for acquittal, or at the very least, manipulate a single juror, so that he'll have a hung jury, etc.

Oh no, I didn't take it that you were saying I was wrong; more so sometimes I have "lots o' feelings" in my head and realize I may have said something incomplete or that my point might be misconstrued. :)

I would not be surprised if LM comes out and says he did not kill JL. He may very well say that JL died of an overdose. The Crown would then have to prove otherwise. This may very well be why he pleaded not guilty, at least to the first degree murder. I sure hope that the original video the police have will clear that possibility so that the jury can't be fooled into finding him guilty on a lesser charge.

I agree to this! I think he had some kind of romantic idea about how his life would pan out as well as how prison was, but I would not be surprised if he is going absolutely nuts in solitary without acess to his admirers and that that drove him to a breaking point of sorts.

To address your comment about pleading, I agree, his lawyer would have advised that. However, I think LM has other ideas in his head that may have lead to the plea panning out as it did.
Does anyone know what Canadian prisons are like and what priviledges are afforded to prisoners? Do they have access to TV? Are they allowed to read newspapers and/or magazines? Are those in solitary allowed to send/receive mail? Are they allowed calls and visitors? I'm just wondering if LM has any idea what's being said in the media?

Does anyone know what Canadian prisons are like and what priviledges are afforded to prisoners? Do they have access to TV? Are they allowed to read newspapers and/or magazines? Are those in solitary allowed to send/receive mail? Are they allowed calls and visitors? I'm just wondering if LM has any idea what's being said in the media?

I filled in at a temp job and delivered canteens right inside various prisons (in Ontario) but its the same provincially in Quebec,so I can give you a pretty good idea of the setup. (and no, it was not an enjoyable job, hence TEMP)

He's being held in solitary so he doesn't have much access to a lot of things.
When you're awaiting trial at these detention centers you're either in community cells (with 2,4,6 or even 8 inmates to a large sized cell with beds spread around the area) .. or in solitary in a very small individual cell with only the basics. Bed, sink, toilet. I know TV's (with very limited channels) are available in the community cells, so you might get a couple of stations, CBC and a local station or two. I'm not sure if the inmates in solitary get a tv. Internet access of any kind is extremely unlikely. They're given books, magazines, unsure about newspapers, quite possibly.

Access to detainees awaiting trial is very restricted and limited, vs once they're sentenced and in a federal pen, like Kingston Pen or that isolated Pen in Northern Quebec that has been referenced for this case. Once they're relocated to a permanent place to complete their sentence there is more priviledges for phone calls , possible occasional visitors (depending on his status discipline wise, who they are, and if he wishes to see anyone -- it all has to be pre-arranged, you can't just walk in and request to see someone even if they are immediate family) . As for sending old fashioned letter mail, I'm not exactly sure how straight forward it is here, vs the US where it seems to be very easy to keep in contact with people inside jail, as long as you know their inmate #. Heck, I even saw a website for a woman's prison in the US where its like a dating site and they're looking for potential husbands ! Insane, I know.
Anyways, hope that helps.

I concur; however, I believe that he got away with the kitten killings simply because LE are generally understaffed and they are forced to prioritize things like child abductions and murders rather than acts of animal cruelty. I know this is difficult to stomach, but an understandable reality. What is mind boggling is that Luka was cocky and arrogant enough to think that because he got away with a few kitty killings that he could get away with killing a human (in a very public manner). Really, I feel it's testimony to how irrational his thought processes really are.

Although the kitten killings are really sad, their deaths may have saved a few human lives. LM's progression seems to mirror the increasing bravado and deluded omnipotence killers often display as their pathology spirals into the abyss. Its sort of like the serial killer who goes from carefully planning, carrying out, and then hiding his/her crime...and over time becomes careless and sloppy, just dumping a body on the side of the road for any/all to see. I do think that as one spirals into the abyss they increasingly discard rationality... Although LM may have carefully planned so much around the murder of JL, it lacks rationality. He had gotten away with the kitten murders and was so convinced he could do the same again, but on a much bigger stage. I think he believed in his invincibility at least for longer then what happened, and that it was his distorted self-perception that in part played a role in how he failed to realize how over-the-top he went towards incriminating himself.

I didn't watch the video yet but NPD can lead to a 'narcissistic rage' episode.
Brian Blackwell case used it as a defense.
Brian Blackwell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Haha. That was awesome.

Rivière-des-Prairies Detention Centre
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pT4uDsFhPY0/T0zTw6Mc7JI/AAAAAAAAAao/VQsecOE1Y_k/s1600/prison8.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LDMV23VqqDg/T0zTgfvYG0I/AAAAAAAAAag/Ck0acIMwd-Y/s1600/prison7.jpg

http://translate.google.com.br/tran...gspot.com.br/2012/02/prison-contre-chsld.html
http://droitcriminel.blogspot.com.br/2012/02/prison-contre-chsld.html

I agree to this! I think he had some kind of romantic idea about how his life would pan out as well as how prison was, but I would not be surprised if he is going absolutely nuts in solitary without acess to his admirers and that that drove him to a breaking point of sorts.

To address your comment about pleading, I agree, his lawyer would have advised that. However, I think LM has other ideas in his head that may have lead to the plea panning out as it did.

Unfortunately I think solitary may not be bad for him.I think he can receive mail and he actually seems to have "fans" now.This may be the first time in his life where it is actually him that is receiving love and attention,like he always craved.He is not hiding behind any sock puppets and he can communicate and embellish stories just like he did online via mail.He must have spend most of his time online so his actual surroundings must not be that important to him and unfortunately I think he has now what he always wanted.Fame.

Thank you. That is more or less what I thought, but uncertain about the details about those in solitary. And if he can have visitors or send/receive mail, wondering if he has? I wonder if the 2 suspected friends he had are even still associating with him?

I filled in at a temp job and delivered canteens right inside various prisons (in Ontario) but its the same provincially in Quebec,so I can give you a pretty good idea of the setup. (and no, it was not an enjoyable job, hence TEMP)

He's being held in solitary so he doesn't have much access to a lot of things.
When you're awaiting trial at these detention centers you're either in community cells (with 2,4,6 or even 8 inmates to a large sized cell with beds spread around the area) .. or in solitary in a very small individual cell with only the basics. Bed, sink, toilet. I know TV's (with very limited channels) are available in the community cells, so you might get a couple of stations, CBC and a local station or two. I'm not sure if the inmates in solitary get a tv. Internet access of any kind is extremely unlikely. They're given books, magazines, unsure about newspapers, quite possibly.

Access to detainees awaiting trial is very restricted and limited, vs once they're sentenced and in a federal pen, like Kingston Pen or that isolated Pen in Northern Quebec that has been referenced for this case. Once they're relocated to a permanent place to complete their sentence there is more priviledges for phone calls , possible occasional visitors (depending on his status discipline wise, who they are, and if he wishes to see anyone -- it all has to be pre-arranged, you can't just walk in and request to see someone even if they are immediate family) . As for sending old fashioned letter mail, I'm not exactly sure how straight forward it is here, vs the US where it seems to be very easy to keep in contact with people inside jail, as long as you know their inmate #. Heck, I even saw a website for a woman's prison in the US where its like a dating site and they're looking for potential husbands ! Insane, I know.
Anyways, hope that helps.
Thank you! I have worked in multiple prisons in the US; however, I was only in the medical unit so it wasn't very informative in terms of prison life. I toured one facility and that was interesting, but mostly I'd only see the inside of our section and then the med hold area (which was pretty scary).

I would not be surprised if LM comes out and says he did not kill JL. He may very well say that JL died of an overdose. The Crown would then have to prove otherwise. This may very well be why he pleaded not guilty, at least to the first degree murder. I sure hope that the original video the police have will clear that possibility so that the jury can't be fooled into finding him guilty on a lesser charge.
Nothing at all would surprise me. He might even try to somehow claim that the death was unintentional as a result of self defense, and that he then just snapped with rage and, well, you know what ensued. Although I'd hope his lawyers would advise against such a ridiculous claim.

No matter what, I am quite certain that insanity is going to play a big role in his defence. I mean, how couldn't it? Every single thing this guy has done over the past 10+ years has been bat**** crazy. Not sure how denying psych evaluation plays into this, but I am sure there's a method to the madness (no pun intended).

Nothing at all would surprise me. He might even try to somehow claim that the death was unintentional as a result of self defense, and that he then just snapped with rage and, well, you know what ensued. Although I'd hope his lawyers would advise against such a ridiculous claim.

No matter what, I am quite certain that insanity is going to play a big role in his defence. I mean, how couldn't it? Every single thing this guy has done over the past 10+ years has been bat**** crazy. Not sure how denying psych evaluation plays into this, but I am sure there's a method to the madness (no pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member