Armchair Psych Profile and Treatment

I am entertaining the notion that he snapped when he did poorly on his orals.

:fence:

Maybe "snapped" after a spring semester downslide in grades, but orals weren't the beginning (probably) because he'd purchased a gun a week before and another immediately after orals. Maybe orals were a confirmation of something in his mind....Check out the timeline.

Test drugs I don't think the school would do if they are paying his way to the tune of $26,000 per year. Allow students to take notes during such a thing perhaps, but not participate given outcomes are unknown and liability for the student, waiver or not.

Maybe a neursosci program is different, but as far as my experience goes, grad students are still members of the general public. Schools can't "allow" or "disallow" someone, even a student, from signing up for a drug trial. In fact, how would it reflect on the school, if they said it was "too risky" for their own student but not for the general public!

My daughter was able to opt out of the health insurance at college. I do believe to get the schools health insurance was an additional 700 added on to her tuition. At the time, she had ours. We were able to sign on to her school account, add our health insurance and click the box that we declined. She was not charged that additional money. I do know that colleges require you to have some type of health insurance.....if you don't, you have to buy theirs.

Maybe "snapped" after a spring semester downslide in grades, but orals weren't the beginning (probably) because he'd purchased a gun a week before and another immediately after orals. Maybe orals were a confirmation of something in his mind....Check out the timeline.
I agree. Unless something different comes out, if he snapped, I think it happened may-June.

UI interviews (doc dump) - there are more scheduled interviews but I thought it interesting these are 2 psychs. James had asked specifically to meet with Juraska.

Pg.14 - PDF
11:00 Interview with Dr. Paul Gold, Psychology 529 PM (1 hr)
1:00 Interview with Dr. Janice Juraska, Psychology 735 (1.5 hr)

Is this supposed to give them an inkling of who the student is? Do all schools do this for the Grad applicants?
Do you think Fenton interviewed Holmes as an applicant?

UI interviews (doc dump) - there are more scheduled interviews but I thought it interesting these are 2 psychs. James had asked specifically to meet with Juraska.

Pg.14 - PDF

Is this supposed to give them an inkling of who the student is? Do all schools do this for the Grad applicants?

These are professors who do research. He is meeting with all of the professors to see which one expresses an interest to have him in their lab. If you look up these people on line, both of them do research.

These are professors who do research. He is meeting with all of the professors to see which one expresses an interest to have him in their lab. If you look up these people on line, both of them do research.

Agree.....but if you read the emails, it is stated that jh's wants to meet a specific teacher during his tour. That teacher made plans to meet with him.

That leads me to believe that jh researched all these teachers. He picked Colorado for a certain teacher. IMO.

Agree.....but if you read the emails, it is stated that jh's wants to meet a specific teacher during his tour. That teacher made plans to meet with him.

That leads me to believe that jh researched all these teachers. He picked Colorado for a certain teacher. IMO.

That's normal. They would like students that do a little research beforehand. But he wouldn't meet with just one teacher, he would meet with a number of them.

That's pretty standard for entering a doctorate program. Generally, the prospective student will/should read the research of various departmental professors and would meet with the researchers of papers that interest them to see if there's a fit. Otherwise put, a student prepared has a much higher chance of getting accepted into the program.

That's pretty standard for entering a doctorate program. Generally, the prospective student will/should read the research of various departmental professors and would meet with the researchers of papers that interest them to see if there's a fit. Otherwise put, a student prepared has a much higher chance of getting accepted into the program.

Okay, thanks for explaining. Makes sense.:rocker:

In a real world, students with student health insurance utilize student health services. And its not considered a conflict of interest.

Who doesn't consider it a conflict of interest?

A professor hearing a student report an incident of another professor being abusive in some way might try to protect her employer: conflict of interest.

And I find the idea that experimental drugs are being tested on students to be completely laughable.

A lot of psych depts ask students to volunteer for experiments, like sleep deprivation etc. How do we know that this university would not ask for such participation? Maybe they thought it was safe.

Posting link to the public FB fan page of cEvin Key about his meeting with JH. Scroll down to his post on July 20. He also provides additional information through the posts below his status update. You'll need to expand the comments to hunt those down.

https://www.facebook.com/cevinkey

Walker, I get what you are saying about the therapist being in a "conflict of interest" position.

I have also wondered about JH volunteering for an experimental drug.

Thinking it through tells me this.

Fenton did not notice anything about JH until sometime in the" first 10 days of June". JH quit school on the 12th of June, or thereabout. So, there was no time to refer him to anyone else. He was gone from there. If they tried to call him just to help or suggest, he may not have answered, or cared.

Test drugs I don't think the school would do if they are paying his way to the tune of $26,000 per year. Allow students to take notes during such a thing perhaps, but not participate given outcomes are unknown and liability for the student, waiver or not.

JH taking drugs of any sort, homemade, street made, lab made, that is obvious. That was his personal choice though, and not related to the school.

:moo::moo::moo:

Sorry, I do not agree.
I think as a parent I would like her to be sued and have her license removed.
I would like to see all the victims sue the school too.
I hope that JH parents did sue immediately. Before she transfers all her holdings to a family member.

Pg.14 - PDF

Trying to get caught up. Can someone please provide a link for this information? TIA!

:moo::moo::moo:

Sorry, I do not agree.
I think as a parent I would like her to be sued and have her license removed.
I would like to see all the victims sue the school too.
I hope that JH parents did sue immediately. Before she transfers all her holdings to a family member.

Yes, If the school knew something was wrong when he dropped out, and then did nothing. If that is the law now, its needs to be redone.

My son is only 8, this has me thinking of the future, when he goes off to school.I will make him sign a release, if the school feels something is wrong, I want a phone call.

Who doesn't consider it a conflict of interest?

A professor hearing a student report an incident of another professor being abusive in some way might try to protect her employer: conflict of interest.

A lot of psych depts ask students to volunteer for experiments, like sleep deprivation etc. How do we know that this university would not ask for such participation? Maybe they thought it was safe.

All research on humans and animals in a University have to be approved by a REVIEW BOARD with strict standards. There is extensive documentation and followup. Now, there are noninvasive experiments regarding learning and cognition etc that do not involve drugs etc that students participate in for credit in lower level classes but the PROTOCOLS are still under approval.

According to a news report
JH sat in the courtroom today, looking dazed and confused as a lawyer discussed a charity's efforts to help victims. His hair is reportedly fading, to mostly orange, and he has grown a mustache and mutton chops.

It would be nice if we could see a picture, at least. :moo:

All research on humans and animals in a University have to be approved by a REVIEW BOARD with strict standards.

A review board = a bunch of people who may well make mistakes.

There is extensive documentation and followup.

which may have been SEALED.

Now, there are noninvasive experiments regarding learning and cognition etc that do not involve drugs etc that students participate in for credit in lower level classes but the PROTOCOLS are still under approval.

Protocol = set of rules.

Can a protocol be lax or mistaken? Yes.

Academic Psychology has a culture of using students in nutty experiments. At my college, for part of my course work in Psych 101, I was required to participate as a subject in some studies. I went to the psych lab, and someone purporting to be PhD student told me I should stare into a very hot bright light until my eyes hurt. I told him, no, and walked out. I went to the Psych dept and made a complaint, but no one took me seriously because I was an undergrad. Then, a girl student suffered serious burns to her face as a result of the same experiment. They investigated and found that the "researcher" wasn't associated with the university at all; but he somehow had gotten access to the labs. Eventually I did complete the participation requirement, but I hated going to that lab, because it just reeked of pot. And, that formed my impression of psych professsionals in general: their insights can be useful, but they are not too trustworthy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back