Found Safe NC - Shaylie Madden, 7-week-old infant, Biltmore Park in Asheville, 9 May 2019 *Arrest*

I'll bet the 911 caller was her mom. When the 911 operator asked for her full birthdate, the caller immediately knew it. The caller was also extremely familiar with her car and car license tag holder. The 911 caller also mentioned she could watch Krista and Shaylie on their baby nest monitor.

and thought they knew her cell phone carrier

hypothetically, what sort of personality disorder would a person have were they to make up a kidnapping story and try to murder their baby?

That's what I want to know! Maybe bipolar disorder? A friend of mine discovered she was bipolar in college, and her "outing" came along with all sorts of hallucinations and jumping to random conclusions. As in, "she was convinced I was in danger and showed up at my dorm room, so insistent that campus security forced my door". Mind, this was before cell phones, so her not being able to find me "in" was not a stretch of the imagination nor as dire as we might think it now; while I was at the house of a local friend in town, having a perfectly fine time hanging out.

Retired after I had kids but still try to keep up with research and newer stuff! If you're looking at Axis II or personality disorders, I'd guess that the histrionic type would be the most likely to be attention seekers. That and/or the borderline.

That being said I know nothing whatsoever about Krista's personality, relationships, or interactions with others so these are just names of the more attention-seeking personality disorder types.

I don’t see the part about any health issue in the baby?
A lot more is blacked out related to the baby's health issue immediately after this on the very first "Help I've been kidnapped and thrown into the back of my trunk" 911 call made by the friend or relative
Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 10.52.04 AM.png

Last edited:
It's interesting that before claiming she was kidnapped, Krista turned off her location service on her phone which her relative or friend (whoever made the first 911 call) had previously used to find her (Find a Friend app).

It's also very interesting that her surgeon husband and family haven't bail bonded her out of jail to put her into a psychiatric unit for treatment. She's still sitting in jail.
Inmate Search Results Details

It's interesting that before claiming she was kidnapped, Krista turned off her location service on her phone which her relative or friend (whoever made the first 911 call) had previously used to find her (Find a Friend app).

It's also very interesting that her surgeon husband and family haven't bail bonded her out of jail to put her into a psychiatric unit for treatment. She's still sitting in jail.
Inmate Search Results Details
In an article on my local news, it said that her attorneys (and presumably family) are looking for treatment space for her and don't want to bond her out until that is found. Hang on, let me look for it.

ETA:

Evaluation sought for woman accused of trying to kill baby :: WRAL.com

"Devereux says Madden's attorneys haven't sought to get her $750,000 bond reduced because they need to secure a spot in a facility before she makes bond."

In an article on my local news, it said that her attorneys (and presumably family) are looking for treatment space for her and don't want to bond her out until that is found. Hang on, let me look for it.

ETA:

Evaluation sought for woman accused of trying to kill baby :: WRAL.com

"Devereux says Madden's attorneys haven't sought to get her $750,000 bond reduced because they need to secure a spot in a facility before she makes bond."
It's been 5 days since Krista Madden was arrested. She is an employee of the huge Mission Health System which means she has excellent health insurance. In addition, Mission is affliated with hospitals that have mental health beds. Although there is a shortage of mental health beds, there isn't this huge of a shortage that patients have to wait 5 days for acute psychiatric care. The average length of stay in an acute car psychiatric facility is about 10 days plus or minus 3 days, so there are always patients being discharged leaving open beds. She would have been admitted by now IF she had been bail bonded out. Nobody has paid her bail bond, so she sits in jail.
Length of inpatient stay of persons with serious mental illness: effects of hospital and regional characteristics. - PubMed - NCBI

It's been 5 days since Krista Madden was arrested. She is an employee of the huge Mission Health System which means she has excellent health insurance. In addition, Mission is affliated with hospitals that have mental health beds. Although there is a shortage of mental health beds, there isn't this huge of a shortage that patients have to wait 5 days for acute psychiatric care. The average length of stay in an acute car psychiatric facility is about 7 days, so there are always patients being discharged leaving open beds. She would have been admitted by now IF she had been bail bonded out. Nobody has paid her bail bond, so she sits in jail.
In the article, it explains that they are waiting for space at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill because UNC specializes in postpartum issues. I'm just going by what MSM is reporting.

ETA: Interesting, they took the reference to UNC out, but I found it in the article they referenced from the Asheville newspaper:

Krista Madden attorney: Incident came 'totally out of the blue'

Psychotic patients need to be treated immediately (if she is psychotic). Psychosis "rewires" the brain. Delay in treatment can make the treatment more difficult and relapse is more likely to occur.

She could have been admitted to another psychiatric facility and TREATMENT STARTED and then transferred to Chapel Hill (when a bed opened) if that facility is the most acceptable facility to the family. But she's not going anywhere because nobody has paid her bail bond....and her husband is a cardio-thoracic surgeon.

Psychotic patients need to be treated immediately (if she is psychotic).

She could have been admitted to another psychiatric facility and TREATMENT STARTED and then transferred to Chapel Hill (when a bed opened) if that facility is the most acceptable facility to the family. But she's not going anywhere because nobody has paid her bail bond....and her husband is a cardio-thoracic surgeon.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

A common misconception about inpatient mental health facilities is that they provide treatment. They really just medically stabilize the patient so that they aren’t at immediate risk to harm themselves or others. The real treatment begins after that, with intensive therapy and medication adjustments. It’s a long road of recovery and a week in a facility is not going to go very far in terms of help.

A common misconception about inpatient mental health facilities is that they provide treatment. They really just medically stabilize the patient so that they aren’t at immediate risk to harm themselves or others. The real treatment begins after that, with intensive therapy and medication adjustments. It’s a long road of recovery and a week in a facility is not going to go very far in terms of help.
Acute psychiatric hospitals provide assessment, diagnosis, and medication treatment needed asap for psychotic patients.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back