Arrested mom asks for apology

I think this lady does deserve an apology. Yes, she left her child in the car, but if she was truly right there the whole time..I don't see a problem.

It's so easy to say she should have done this or she should have done that. But I'm guessing it was a chaotic scene and she was at the mercy of an overzealous police office. It happens. I'm sure this woman was scared.

Just last week I was taking my daughter to school and stopped at a gas station. There was an officer speaking to someone in the parking lot and totally blocking one of the exits. It was morning rush hour and I needed to go around, so I politely rolled down the window and said excuse me. Well...I could tell that did not please him and before I knew it, I was told to pull over. My daughter was late to school and I was issued a citation:waitasec: I'm always telling my 14 year old to respect police officers and now I also have to teach her to not say excuse me if they are in your way. Some of them do get a little crazy and they taser people all the time for what they consider being disrespectful.

I guess I've had enough experiences to know that not all police officers are nice. Some of them do let that position of authority get to their heads and they run with it. It sounds like that is what happened in this case.

Cheetah I really think the truth of this story is closer to what you said than anything else. I doubt the husband, this family would speak up so much if they were lying, knowing there is a videotape. I am already half expecting to hear some news about the tape being 'accidentally erased'. Yes, I know that's what we call being paranoid. ;)

On the other hand part of me hopes the police are correct in this and the family is lying... because if not, then that just makes people more scared of people they're supposed to be able to trust - the cops.

Do I understand correctly though that their youngest was taken away from them?? If that's true then that makes me quite angry, especially since I tend to believe the family's story. That poor child!

Wow, over 230 comments at the Tinley Park, IL Topix forum INCLUDING comments from the husband:
http://www.topix.com/city/tinley-pa...pology/p13?threadid=FDMU2SNS0BF7MHQE#lastPost

<TABLE class=post_table style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="authorbox anonymous">

</TD><TD class=postbox vAlign=top>
#259 8 hrs ago

Jim wrote:​
WOW - You're covering all grounds.... You should run for government!​
Tim Janecyk: 8 days later. My wife was arrested while she broke no law. Our child was taken from us. Our other two children were never given any consideration by The Crestwood Police. For a week I have defended my wife... that is what a husband does. For more than seven days I have asked for an apology for my children where they have been wronged... that is what a father does. For a week I have pointed out to the public something terrible that public officials have done... that is what a citizen does.

For a week, Crestwood Police Chief Timothy Sulikowski has said there are two sides to every story, yet he does not tell us what his side is. He will not release the police report to my attorney because it is an 'open investigation'

Everything was caught on video and the police have had that video for a week. What is left to investigate? The incompitence and negligence and misconduct of three Crestwood Police officers that's what.

This is far from the first time the officer involved in this case has done this. Complaints have been made at the police station by other parents. Still, the police offer no comment, no report, no video.

Wipe the egg off of your face Chief Sulikowski and give my children the apology they deserve. Drop the charges against my wife.

Several officers at the Crestwood Police department also think this went way too far. They have the decency to admit it.

Bottom line is that the Village of Crestwood doesn't seem to concerned that Chief Sulikowskis officers arrested a woman who broke no law, seperated her from her children, took a child away from her... tore apart an innocent family that night... where is Mayor Stranczek on this? How about the city council? None too concerned.

What the Crestwood Police department did to my wife and children was wrong. People all over the world are talking about your department. You can't even defend them... no comment is all you can muster up for the decent Police on your force, Their reputation becomes more tarnished by the day because of the actions of three cops that made some pretty bad mistakes. Guys, if my chief chose only to defend me with the words 'no comment' I'd begin to worry about my chief. Restore some dignity to the Crestwood Police. Admit the mistakes and make it right for my family and my children and I'll give you the respect that comes with you taking the first step to fix the wrong that was created a week ago.

There are a lot of Police Officers out there who do an outstanding job of serving and protecting the community. Let me be one to thank them and commend them. I have seen three officers 'serving and neglecting' and it is a shame that their actions should disgrace those who are honorable and decent public servants.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SO there is video. LOL Sounds like this family isn't backing down.

Plus I found this while googling. Seems like the father saw a UFO about 10 years ago, if this is the same guy. :D
http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v02/rnd02_47.shtml

I'm just seeing this today, but I've got to say this: he says the police gave his other two children no consideration, but NEITHER DID HE. He said in an earlier article (not a post) that he assumed his other kids were in one of the police cars parked around, but he did nothing to assure that they were there, he didn't wonder if the girls were freaked out about being in the police cars, were they scared for themselves? were they frightened about their momma? did they need him? Nope, he just assumes they are in a car somewhere, and doesn't make one move to check on them.

There is something terribly wrong with this family dynamics. Neither the mother nor the father even MENTIONED the two girls, neither asked about the safety of the girls, both of them addressed law enforcement officers from an adversarial point of view immediately. Something is wrong here. And I don't think it's with LE. Or not completely with LE, if it turns out that the woman was less than 10 minutes away from her child.

She called her husband within the first few minutes and he advised her not to answer any questions until he arrived. She told the police that she would not answer any questions until her husband arrived and that he'd be there within a couple of minutes.

Quite frankly, although I'll get toasted here for this. I would not have answered the police questions on the scene either. She was within her rights. cook, lake, dupage, and will county police departments don't have the best reputations. :angel:

IMO, this whole situation has been blown way out of proportion. The family went public after crestwood refused to either drop the matter or provide the arrest report, and walmart video. The only law she clearly broke was a parking violation. It'll be interesting to see if the video shows her being away from the car less than 10 minutes (as per the law). As far as I'm concerned regarding the girl's being left at walmart ... they're ALL AT FAULT. Bunch dang losers.

I'm not going to blast you, but I am going to point out that answering questions is a drastic difference from informing officers that you have two OTHER youngsters with you.....

http://www.prlog.org/10041572-mothe...positing-change-in-salvation-army-bucket.html

she returned to the car she was arrested and placed into the back of a Crestwood police car in handcuffs. She screamed at least three times "My other children are on the other side of the car." According to the mother of three the police ignored her pleas and just rolled up the squad car windows.

I'm not going to blast you, but I am going to point out that answering questions is a drastic difference from informing officers that you have two OTHER youngsters with you.....

No blasting here either, but how much more do you think those cops wanted to get informed?

Also, you said: I'm just seeing this today, but I've got to say this: he says the police gave his other two children no consideration, but NEITHER DID HE. and: Nope, he just assumes they are in a car somewhere, and doesn't make one move to check on them. ('He' being the husband and father).
And that is exactly my problem here. He assumed that the older children were safe with the police. Everyone has always been taught that the cops will take care of you, go to a cop for help, etc. etc. so I can certainly see why he needed to deal with the most urgent situation at hand, first. Remember there was a small child probably literally being torn from their arms!
I don't think he's guilty of anything other than doing what any reasonable person would do and is being raised to do: trust the cops. He was dealing with a most outrageous unexpected scenario and still his ingrained 'you can trust the cops' was there, too.

This could (and would IMO) be the scenario if you choose to believe the family.

Mom faces trial for leaving kids in car
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h-zINILllcWKubXt21ki9Ti_eGcQD8VC23R00

By DON BABWIN &#8211; 37 minutes ago
CHICAGO (AP) &#8212; Treffly Coyne was out of her car for just minutes and no more than 10 yards away.
But that was long and far enough to land her in court after a police officer spotted her sleeping 2-year-old daughter alone in the vehicle; Coyne had taken her two older daughters to pour $8.29 in coins into a Salvation Army kettle.
Minutes later, she was under arrest &#8212; the focus of both a police investigation and a probe by the state's child welfare agency. Now the case that has become an Internet flash point for people who either blast police for overstepping their authority or Coyne for putting a child in danger. (more plus pic at link)

I get nervous leaving my doggie in the car so what possess people to leave kids in the car for even 2 minutes. You walk around the corner someone knocks out a window and the kid is gone all in less than 2 mins. Think people, think.

Prosecutors plan to drop criminal charges against a suburban mother who briefly left her two-year-old daughter alone in a locked car, officials said.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6014800

Good, I think this whole thing was totally radiculous and a waste of my state of Illinois's money. I don't care if she didn't say anything, the police started the whole thing. They should have never acted the way they did thus triggering her reaction. They do owe her and the children an appology. A lot of the police, well, here in Illinois anyway are on big ego trips, it will be good to cut them down a notch, IMO.

Good, I think this whole thing was totally radiculous and a waste of my state of Illinois's money. I don't care if she didn't say anything, the police started the whole thing. They should have never acted the way they did thus triggering her reaction. They do owe her and the children an appology. A lot of the police, well, here in Illinois anyway are on big ego trips, it will be good to cut them down a notch, IMO.

This women left her baby in the car!! Alone!!
I think the police did their job.

This women left her baby in the car!! Alone!!
I think the police did their job.

She did leave her in the car but she could see the car and it was for a few minutes. I could see if she would have went in the store shopping but she did not. The child was in eye sight. I have left my 9 and 3 year old in the car to go in and pay for gas. I lock the doors and the 9 year old lets me in when I come back. I can always see the car. I do think it is a crime to leave a small child alone in a car for anytime if you cannot see the car.

I get nervous leaving my doggie in the car so what possess people to leave kids in the car for even 2 minutes. You walk around the corner someone knocks out a window and the kid is gone all in less than 2 mins. Think people, think.

She didn't walk around a corner. She went less than 10 yards away. Within earshot and eyesight. Sheesh you people really are so quick to judge.

This is old news here in Chicagoland. It's great that they're dropping charges because IMHO she did NOTHING wrong.

She did leave her in the car but she could see the car and it was for a few minutes. I could see if she would have went in the store shopping but she did not. The child was in eye sight. I have left my 9 and 3 year old in the car to go in and pay for gas. I lock the doors and the 9 year old lets me in when I come back. I can always see the car. I do think it is a crime to leave a small child alone in a car for anytime if you cannot see the car.

Yes, that is true. In Illinois, it's illegal to leave a child in a car if you CANNOT SEE the car.

Nothing illegal about leaving a sleeping two year old in the car while you go drop money in a Salvation Army bucket within sight and sound!

A lot more detail on the case at this link. Crestwood is very unhappy that the state's attorney has decided to drop the charges saying that they can't meet their burden of proof. Interesting that the arresting officer had a "personal" relationship with the community service officer.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-treffly_14mar14,1,6442162.story

Forbes disputed that, saying she saw the video and it shows Coyne was away for around three minutes.

Coyne said an angry officer was waiting for her when she returned to the car. The chief acknowledged that a police sergeant who responded to the scene was dating the community service officer who confronted Coyne, but said that had no bearing on the arrest. "What's the relevance," he said.

From the most recently cited article:
"The officers at the scene never bothered to listen to her story -- they just chose to charge her," Forbes said. "We're glad that the state's attorney's office reviewed all the evidence, looked at the [store security] videotape and agreed with us that no crime was committed."

News stories about Coyne's arrest sparked heated debate across the country on Internet message boards, with some accusing the police of abusing their power and others supporting them for their quick action.

Sulikowski said Thursday that the security video shows Coyne was away from the vehicle for about seven minutes, and that the community service officer who noticed the car said Coyne was about 70 feet away and her view of the vehicle was blocked by a cement pillar.

Forbes (Coyne's attorney) disputed that, saying she saw the video and it shows Coyne was away for around three minutes.

This does sound like a police abuse of power case.

You know, I thought she was crazy when she demanded an apology from them. Just leave well enough alone, lady, and move away from that town! lol

She claims to have never been more then 30 feet away from her 2 yo..

How quickly do you think some predator could have taken that baby with her 30 feet away???

This woman is soooo clueless.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back