Art expert fooled by chimp's painting

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Casshew, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

A German art expert was duped into believing a painting done by a chimpanzee was actually painted by a respected artist. Dr Katja Schneider, director of the State Art Museum in Moritzburg, Saxony-Anhalt, suggested the painting was by Guggenheim Prize winning artist Ernst Wilhelm Nay.

Dr Schneider said: "It looks like an Ernst Wilhelm Nay. He was famous for using such blotches of colour."

After the real artist was revealed by the Bild newspaper, Dr Schneider said: "I did think it looked a bit rushed."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1648314.html?menu=news.quirkies

2. Loading...

3. Puca

Puca New Member

I feel badly that a man spent so much of his life getting an education in art, and than was so badly shamed! One mistake out of how many estimates?

4. sillygoose

sillygoose Member

Maybe the chimp is just really talented. :crazy:

5. Details

Details Former Member

I think that reflects accurately on the state of a lot of 'art' today, as well as the 'experts' who read so much into it. Reading all kinds of meaning and greatness into splashes of a paintbrush - just because the artist manages to get a critic or so on his side to say it is great.

6. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

Too funny!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: