Atlanta Child Murders theories

Discussion in 'More Case Discussion Forums' started by Sweatpantssleuth, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Sweatpantssleuth

Sweatpantssleuth New Member

Theory 1: What if Nathaniel Cater jumped in the river? The medical examiner ruled he had died of "probable" asphyxia, but never specifically said he had been strangled. Police theorized that Williams had killed Cater, and that his body was the source of the "loud splash" they heard as his car crossed the bridge.

Theory 2: How are we certain that the carpet fibers found on the bodies are from Williams’ carpet? The main prosecution evidence against Williams was tiny fibers found on the bodies and matched to rugs and other fabrics in the home and cars of Williams parents. The court filing says the fibers weren’t identical to those in Williams home, and theres no direct connection between him and the bodies. Williams sought a retrial in 2004 based on the scientific unreliability of the fibers, but a federal judge rejected the request for retrial. How can we be certain that the carpet fibers, the main damning evidence, wasn’t from someone else’s carpet?

Keep in mind I am not making a statement for or against Wayne Williams. These are questions that I have and I would love to know more on these two subjects, perhaps these questions have already been answered.

2. ddav

ddav Active Member

Cater was residing in downtown Atlanta and the bridge was a considerable distance away. Since he had no means of transportation it seems a very unlikely way for him to choose to commit suicide by walking miles to such a remote location. Also it strains credulity to that by coincidence hes found dead downriver right after Williams was arrested.
    The significance of the carpet fibers were their rarity. Also hairs from Williams were found on two of the victims were matched by DNA to Williams, and hairs from Williams dog were found on several of the bodies. In addition blood from 2 individuals was found in Williams car, and the blood types were not from Williams but happened to be the same (A and B if my memory is correct), blood type as the only two victims who were stabbed. Add to that the testimony of several witnesses who saw Williams with the victims, and the alibi he had for being on the bridge was clearly a lie the evidence seems to me overwhelming. One should keep in mind that most of WWs advocates are people who desperately want to believe the killer was white, against all evidence, and could not be convinced to the contrary.

GarAndTeed and Curious Guy like this.
  3. Sweatpantssleuth

Thank you so much for the incredibly detailed response! Do you have any files/links to the reports on the blood/particulates?

4. ddav

ddav Active Member

I would check out two books "the Atlanta Child Murders" by Jack Mallard, the prosecutor in the case, (not terrifically well-written but good for the information about the case with extensive info on the fiber and dna evidence.) Also "Child Killer" by Jack Rosewood a brief but good overview and the author provides a lot of biographical info on Williams himself.

5. Sweatpantssleuth

I will check these out! Again, thank you very much for taking the time to help me out!

6. Mrs Marple

Mrs Marple Well-Known Member

I don't remember this but l do remember the mini series in the mid 80s. I must have been 9 or 10 when l watched it. How times have changed! This might have been the beginning of the sleuthing...

7. ddav

ddav Active Member

no problem!

8. ddav

ddav Active Member

By and large the CBS series was very supportive of Williams, where it stuck to the factual evidence the first episode of the series was not too bad but the second half really went bad. A later documentary Wayne williams at DuckDuckGo was much better, not pro Williams but given time the critics of the case

Curious Guy and Mrs Marple like this.
  9. Mrs Marple

Mrs Marple Well-Known Member

I hardly remember it now to be honest; I remember the horror of the crimes and the sadness of many of the victims not having their case heard in court. I think it was presented as them not being worth it.

10. ddav

ddav Active Member

I dont think its that. IN most multiple homicides of that magnitude only some of the cases are tried. Ted Bundy for example was only tried for the murders he committed in Florida. The simple fact is if WW had later gotten off on a technicality, the other cases would have enabled him to be recharged. Secondly, there was dispute even by those that strongly believed he was guilty, that he didnt commit every murder he was possibly accused of . (for example, no one thought he really killed the two little girls, and one of the victims bodies was never found. The simple reality was the case was at the time one of the most expensive in GA history and holding a serious of trials for someone already convicted would have represented a serious drain on the courts resources to try other unconvicted criminals, especially since the evidence for his guilt in most of the other crimes was presented in the pattern evidence presented during the trial.

11. sleuther0192837465

sleuther0192837465 Well-Known Member

Hope I am posting this in the proper thread:

Police to re-test evidence in Atlanta child murder cases
    From the article:
    “Police announced Thursday a plan to re-test evidence from decades-old child murder cases that rocked Atlanta in the late '70s and early '80s.“
    Very short article, but happy to see this!!!
    MOO

Dontknow? and Proud Country Gal like this.