Au revoir, Mlle: French government drops "mademoiselle"

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Feb 22, 2012.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

'Mademoiselle' gets boot in new French rules (AP)
    more at link above

2. BuzzieCat

BuzzieCat New Member

3. TracyLynnS

TracyLynnS New Member

This is making me wonder, historically, when, how, and why did titling a female based on her marital status get started in the first place.

Seems like almost every culture does it and I don't know enough details of world history to know about its origins. Anyone got the answers? And what about eastern countries... do they do this too? I'm only familiar with

Madame, Mademoiselle

Frau, Fraulein

Misses, Miss

Senora, Senorita

From the article:

[E]ven ordering groceries online in France requires a woman to identify herself as madame or mademoiselle.

That made me realize how many times we are made to choose between Mrs. Miss, and Ms. whenever we fill out any kind of documentation here in the US. We're so used to automatically choosing a marital identifier, but it does seem kinda strange when you stop and think about how often we have to do it, and sometimes for such mundane reasons as a french lady's grocery order.

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Daily Mail's take on the matter:

Au revoir, Mademoiselle! France bans word for 'Miss' from official documents because it suggests a woman is 'available'
    more at link above