Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks, Tootsie.

The funerals have been delayed while the families wait for police reports. It doesn't say what those police reports may be. (Presumably some kind of clearance?)
The small town of Korumburra has instead held a vigil in St Joseph's church so that the locals have somewhere to light candles, place flowers, sit quietly, and pray.

It also says that EP's' ex-husband won't speak directly with the media. He has hired Intrawork business services director Jessica O’Donnell to liaise with the media. She represents both the Patterson and the Wilkinson families (but not EP).

The good news is that Ian is improving and may no longer need a liver transplant.

The police say there are no updates, they don't expect that to change in the short term, the deaths are still listed as unexplained.

Last edited:
I'm getting a bit confused now. Not sure if I've misread. Just to clarify - the kids WERE at the lunch, and NOT the movies?

TIA

The article says that EP said the kids were at the movies, and that Homicide detectives say the kids were at the lunch.
Detectives said that the kids had presented at a hospital within days of the poisonings as a precaution, but they believe neither child ate the beef wellington.

While police have only said Erin Patterson is a person of interest, and haven’t suggested she tried intentionally poisoning her in-laws, experienced psychologist Tim Watson-Munro says there are a number of bizarre elements that need to be investigated.

Speaking to the Australian, Watson-Munro, who has worked on catching some of Australia’s biggest criminal offenders, stated: “I’m not a big believer in coincidences.”

Red flag number one​

The first red flag he highlights was that Patterson’s former husband nearly died twice in 2022 from gastric-related complications.

The Herald Sun reported a family friend said Simon felt “a bit off” and his illnesses “often coincided [with] when he spent time with her [Erin]”.

In a police statement regarding July’s deaths, Patterson also questioned herself as to whether she poisoned Simon’s parents and aunty.

“Obviously, he was either wilfully poisoned or it was just bad luck,” Watson-Munro told the Australian.

Red flag number two​

Watson-Munro isn’t convinced by Patterson’s statement in which she claimed she purchased the mushrooms at an unnamed Asian supermarket.

In his view, he believes her claim sounds “ludicrous” because death cap mushrooms are not commercial products.

He said: “People just don’t retail them. It’s not that loose.”

Red flag number three​

Patterson revealed in a follow-up statement to police that her children were not present at the lunch, despite initial reports they were.

She claimed they were at the movies, but ate leftovers of the meal the following day.

Watson-Munro believes it is “weird” the children were out of the house during what was meant to be a family lunch.

Watson-Munro says police would be looking for points of weakness and the slow, steady approach would be tactical. He said: “It is a fascinating case. Everyone is talking about it.”

A police statement by Patterson was reportedly leaked to the media, revealing she became unwell after eating the meal.

She admitted she then dumped a dehydrator she used to prepare the meal at a nearby tip soon afterwards because she was in a panic.

She told them she dumped it there a “long time ago”, before revealing she did it after her guests fell ill.

She now claims she was at the hospital with her children “discussing the food hydrator” when her estranged husband, Simon Patterson, asked: “Is that what you used to poison them?”

“The Patterson family (including Erin and estranged husband Simon) would pick mushrooms each year when they were in season,” the friend said.

The Herald Sun quotes sources close to the investigation as saying the ambulance officer felt it necessary to make police aware of what was said, though the details are yet to be released.

“I lost my parents-in-law, my children lost their grandparents. And I’ve been painted as an evil witch,” Patterson told the Australian.

“And the media is making it impossible for me to live in this town. I can’t have friends over.

“The media is at the house where my children are at. The media are at my sister’s house, so I can’t go there. This is unfair.”

She said she did not leak her police statement. “I didn’t put any statement out,” she told the Australian.

“I have no idea how it got out. I made a statement to the police.”
There’s an awful lot of “I me me my” in EP’s statements. She might as well just say “I’m the real victim here.” Maybe she’d be better off staying quiet as her whining seems petty in light of her ex relatives suffering and dying. JMO

I wonder what the Victorian Police think of Charlie Bezzina ‘putting his two bobs worth‘ in with this incident? No charges have been laid and it appears the authorities are still waiting on test results. I think it’s poor form from him and I’m sure he wouldn’t have liked the interference when he was a Cop.

Same deal for Watson Munro.

Oh that is good news.

Yes, I think it is good news. There should (thankfully) be a survivor - and a living witnesses about the lunch, who may be able to speak with the police soon/now. They will also be able to clarify if the children were there or not.

Has it said anywhere how old the children are?

ETA: I have found the answer, the children are in Years 7 and 5. Link
So, likely 12/13 years old and 10/11 years old.

Last edited:
I wonder what the Victorian Police think of Charlie Bezzina ‘putting his two bobs worth‘ in with this incident? No charges have been laid and it appears the authorities are still waiting on test results. I think it’s poor form from him and I’m sure he wouldn’t have liked the interference when he was a Cop.

Same deal for Watson Munro.
Agreed. We have no idea what the evidence is at this point. IMO for all we know the poisoning victims all said something that clearly points in one direction (i.e. there's only one item of food that they all consumed) or that they all stated EP said something at the meal that could be perceived as suspicious. He's not privy to things the Victorian police know.

Thanks, Tootsie.

The funerals have been delayed while the families wait for police reports. It doesn't say what those police reports may be. (Presumably some kind of clearance?)
The small town of Korumburra has instead held a vigil in St Joseph's church so that the locals have somewhere to light candles, place flowers, sit quietly, and pray.

It also says that EP's' ex-husband won't speak directly with the media. He has hired Intrawork business services director Jessica O’Donnell to liaise with the media. She represents both the Patterson and the Wilkinson families (but not EP).

The good news is that Ian is improving and may no longer need a liver transplant.

The police say there are no updates, they don't expect that to change in the short term, the deaths are still listed as unexplained.
Much appreciated. Thank you!

Erin has said she also fell ill after eating the beef Wellington and was taken to Monash Medical Centre in Melbourne by ambulance for treatment.

She said her two children, who were initially thought to have been present at the lunch, had gone to the movies before the others ate.

When they returned that evening, she claimed that the two children did then eat the dish – but that she had scraped off the mushrooms as they didn’t like them.

Then, after learning of her in-laws’ illness, Erin said she preserved the meal and handed it over to toxicologists. However she initially refused to speak to police.

In the statement, Erin has now said she had received advice immediately after the deaths to decline to speak to police.

“I now very much regret not answering some questions following this advice given the nightmare that this process has become,” she said.

Erin said she found the police interview “terrifying and anxiety-provoking”.
* I’m a bit on the fence to be honest. She appears guilty when you connect the dots. But still…

There was absolutely no reason to 'panic' and throw the thing away.

People are sick/dying/dead... if innocent you want to help find the cause. If guilty you might 'panic' and try to hide the evidence of wrong doing.
My feelings exactly. Her husband accused her of using the dehydrator in poisoning. If she didn't use the dehydrator in poisoning, what is she panicking about?

While police have only said Erin Patterson is a person of interest, and haven’t suggested she tried intentionally poisoning her in-laws, experienced psychologist Tim Watson-Munro says there are a number of bizarre elements that need to be investigated.

Speaking to the Australian, Watson-Munro, who has worked on catching some of Australia’s biggest criminal offenders, stated: “I’m not a big believer in coincidences.”

Red flag number one​

The first red flag he highlights was that Patterson’s former husband nearly died twice in 2022 from gastric-related complications.

The Herald Sun reported a family friend said Simon felt “a bit off” and his illnesses “often coincided [with] when he spent time with her [Erin]”.

In a police statement regarding July’s deaths, Patterson also questioned herself as to whether she poisoned Simon’s parents and aunty.

“Obviously, he was either wilfully poisoned or it was just bad luck,” Watson-Munro told the Australian.

Red flag number two​

Watson-Munro isn’t convinced by Patterson’s statement in which she claimed she purchased the mushrooms at an unnamed Asian supermarket.

In his view, he believes her claim sounds “ludicrous” because death cap mushrooms are not commercial products.

He said: “People just don’t retail them. It’s not that loose.”

Red flag number three​

Patterson revealed in a follow-up statement to police that her children were not present at the lunch, despite initial reports they were.

She claimed they were at the movies, but ate leftovers of the meal the following day.

Watson-Munro believes it is “weird” the children were out of the house during what was meant to be a family lunch.

Watson-Munro says police would be looking for points of weakness and the slow, steady approach would be tactical. He said: “It is a fascinating case. Everyone is talking about it.”

A police statement by Patterson was reportedly leaked to the media, revealing she became unwell after eating the meal.

She admitted she then dumped a dehydrator she used to prepare the meal at a nearby tip soon afterwards because she was in a panic.

She told them she dumped it there a “long time ago”, before revealing she did it after her guests fell ill.

She now claims she was at the hospital with her children “discussing the food hydrator” when her estranged husband, Simon Patterson, asked: “Is that what you used to poison them?”

“The Patterson family (including Erin and estranged husband Simon) would pick mushrooms each year when they were in season,” the friend said.

The Herald Sun quotes sources close to the investigation as saying the ambulance officer felt it necessary to make police aware of what was said, though the details are yet to be released.

“I lost my parents-in-law, my children lost their grandparents. And I’ve been painted as an evil witch,” Patterson told the Australian.

“And the media is making it impossible for me to live in this town. I can’t have friends over.

“The media is at the house where my children are at. The media are at my sister’s house, so I can’t go there. This is unfair.”

She said she did not leak her police statement. “I didn’t put any statement out,” she told the Australian.

“I have no idea how it got out. I made a statement to the police.”
Excellent article. Thanks for posting. Too many coincidences.

Reverend Ian Wilkinson’s wife, Heather, 66, a local teacher; her sister, Gail Patterson, 70; and husband Don Patterson, 70, died after eating toxic wild mushrooms at lunch with friends, according to police.
BBM: Am I reading this right - is it stating that the reverends wife was the sister of Simons mother? So his aunt and a great-aunt of the kids? Am I the only one that did not know that?
In that case, it seems more like just a "family dinner" than "meeting with a pastor and very religious parents-in-law".

I’d be interested to know when the dehydrator was taken to the tip. Was it before or after the guests died?
After EP’s own hospital visit? (She must have recovered quickly?)
Also, why panic about the dehydrator but willingly hand over left over beef Wellington for testing?
And how much leftovers would there have been after the Saturday luncheon and Sunday leftovers for the children? A quick google search of recipes suggests beef Wellington serves 4-6 people. I think she cooked two. One with DC mushrooms and one without.
I think she faked her mild symptoms. Any child, certainly an adult can fake a bad tummy ache. Diarhea is a private symptom - no one going to check. She did not eat what she served the others.

Surely part of intent if she is guilty is the fact she is fine.
Motive … retire detective says need motive. We’ve just seen baby nurse Lucy Letby convicted of murdering those babies with no motive. Possibly EP just angry about something & wanting to teach those people a lesson. She’s not much of an evil genius planner. She just wanted them ALL dead but hadn’t really thought it through.

BBM: Am I reading this right - is it stating that the reverends wife was the sister of Simons mother? So his aunt and a great-aunt of the kids? Am I the only one that did not know that?
In that case, it seems more like just a "family dinner" than "meeting with a pastor and very religious parents-in-law".
I think so too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members