Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some confusing news. Unfortunately the article is paywalled so only the first sentence is available.

Apparently EP has been reading the Bible and even reciting verses out loud as she sits in jail. I thought she was an atheist?

Ms Marple this is not a criticism of you at all. Thank you for your post.

Journalists are not allowed to interview prisoners, so how would they even know this information?

I mean, did they ask a prisons officer? I just think the premise of this article is absolutely ridiculous.

IMO

Some confusing news. Unfortunately the article is paywalled so only the first sentence is available.

Apparently EP has been reading the Bible and even reciting verses out loud as she sits in jail. I thought she was an atheist?

Everyone somehow 'turns to God' when they are facing life in prison. I am not sure how sincere they are, but it does seem to be a real trend.

Journalists are not allowed to interview prisoners, so how would they even know this information?

I mean, did they ask a prisons officer? I just think the premise of this article is absolutely ridiculous.

IMO
A lot of this kind of personal info comes from recently released prisoners. How credible it is seems to be an issue though.

I believe the statement that she's an atheist came from a 'friend' who knew her from a Facebook true crime forum. The quote was "She's an atheist as far as I know" which seems less than definitive.

We get these little nuggets about Erin dribbling out—like the coworker who talked about behavior on Sept 11—but the actual sourcing of these claims can be pretty tenuous.

So, maybe she was never an atheist; maybe her beliefs changed over time; maybe her current situation has prompted some soul-searching; maybe she's putting on an act because she thinks it will help her case. Who knows?

IMO

Do defense attorneys in Australia hire PR people, like they do here in the US? My first thought is that the defendant's lawyers could be the source of the leak? Either via an actual PR maneuver or an attempt at one.

Katydid is probably right, though (released prisoners would be an excellent source for such info - while not necessarily reliable, they are saying fairly mundane things, so not sure why they'd make such things up).

Speculation of course.

So did I, but many people "find God" in prison.

$70 per month for a phone account is generous. Is internet access on a smart phone permitted?

Mobile phones are banned in prisons here. Some prisons have jamming equipment to thwart smuggling of them. Calls are usually monitored and recorded, they are time-limited and prisoners have to pay for them, hence the monthly allocation.

As for Victoria specifically:

Phone calls
Prisoners can make phone calls to family, friends and legal professionals, as well as to other services.

You cannot make a phone call to a prisoner but, if you would like to receive a call, they must add you to their phone list. They have access to instructions and help in how to do this.

Once the prisoner has requested to add you to their phone list, the prison will contact you to confirm your phone number. The prison will also ask you if you agree to receive phone calls from the prisoner.

If you agree, you will be placed on the prisoner’s phone list.

If you are not on their phone list, you can send them a letter asking them to add you.

Access to phone calls
Prisoners can have a maximum of 10 phone numbers on their phone call list at any one time.

Phone calls are limited to 12 minutes per call and may be monitored and recorded for security purposes.

Prisoners must pay for all phone calls, except calls to the Victorian Ombudsman and the Health Services Commissioner.

I believe the statement that she's an atheist came from a 'friend' who knew her from a Facebook true crime forum. The quote was "She's an atheist as far as I know" which seems less than definitive.

We get these little nuggets about Erin dribbling out—like the coworker who talked about behavior on Sept 11—but the actual sourcing of these claims can be pretty tenuous.

So, maybe she was never an atheist; maybe her beliefs changed over time; maybe her current situation has prompted some soul-searching; maybe she's putting on an act because she thinks it will help her case. Who knows?

I think that EP may never have been an atheist. The article says that a source stated that, in the Burra Flyer, the church segments were very large. Disproportionate. That you would pay $130 for an ad to be placed in the Flyer, and a church puff piece (as described) would take up a full page or two.

It also says that the bible-reading and sometimes speaking paragraphs out loud in jail happened during the first nights of EP's current stint on remand. It doesn't say that it is ongoing, so it may have been reported by someone who has since been released. Or it has stopped.

I think that EP may never have been an atheist. The article says that a source stated that, in the Burra Flyer, the church segments were very large. Disproportionate. That you would pay $130 for an ad to be placed in the Flyer, and a church puff piece (as described) would take up a full page or two.

It also says that the bible-reading and sometimes speaking paragraphs out loud in jail happened during the first nights of EP's current stint on remand. It doesn't say that it is ongoing, so it may have been reported by someone who has since been released. Or it has stopped.
She probably doesn't have a large choice of reading material. Anyway atheists and non-Christians can enjoy (re-)reading the bible.

She probably doesn't have a large choice of reading material. Anyway atheists and non-Christians can enjoy (re-)reading the bible.

I had read a piece, a while back, that while EP did not participate in many church activities, she always supported the church.

I have been looking again for the link - I think it was in a paywalled article - but am not having any luck at the moment. If I find it, I will add it.

Either way, plenty of Christians have committed (alleged) murder. It is not a crime that is specific to atheists.

imo

I had read a piece, a while back, that while EP did not participate in many church activities, she always supported the church.

I have been looking again for the link - I think it was in a paywalled article - but am not having any luck at the moment. If I find it, I will add it.

Either way, plenty of Christians have committed (alleged) murder. It is not a crime that is specific to atheists.

imo
Quite. And I also read locals saying that most of them attended church for the social/friendship benefit. I don't see it as an environment where religious enthusiasts battled with atheists.

IMO
IMO - With respect, I believe journalists can interview prisoners, however, they must gain permission from the Corrective Services Chief Executive.

EP Being Held at Dame Phyllis Frost Centre?
Thx for posting this. @SouthAussie
Implementing OPCAT in Victoria: report and inspection of the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre

And TYVM @JBowie for this link.

Could be faulty memory or from quickly skimming news on my part (or both, ;) ) , but I did not realize she is in a facility holding (mainly?) persons already convicted.

I imagined she was in a police gaol (seems term was still in use at time of 2017 OPCAT publication page 7. Excuse me if no longer correct in VIC.)

As correctional facilities go, opening in 1996, DPFC is rather newish.

Further reading on DPFC.

EP Being Held at Dame Phyllis Frost Centre?
Thx for posting this. @SouthAussie
Implementing OPCAT in Victoria: report and inspection of the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre

And TYVM @JBowie for this link.

Could be faulty memory or from quickly skimming news on my part (or both, ;) ) , but I did not realize she is in a facility holding (mainly?) persons already convicted.

I imagined she was in a police gaol (seems term was still in use at time of 2017 OPCAT publication page 7. Excuse me if no longer correct in VIC.)

As correctional facilities go, opening in 1996, DPFC is rather newish.

Further reading on DPFC.

EP spent her first night in Morwell station police cells, then was transported to Dame Phyllis Frost Centre soon after that. Presumably after her court appearance the next day, as police cells are usually for overnighters.

Ms Patterson is likely to languish in the tough conditions for more than a year, with her next court appearance scheduled for May.
Erin Patterson’s new life in jail revealed in Victoria’s maximum security prison

I still dont understand why she is on remand and not bail?
The jurisdiction where she had her recent mention would not have been able to grant bail, and she (her legal team) did not apply at that time.

If she wanted to apply for bail, that would need to be done through the Supreme Court.

So: Maybe she’s not applied to the Supreme Court for bail?

IMO
INAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members