Australia - 7 dead in mass shooting and suicide - Osmington WA - 11 May 2018

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by MelmothTheLost, May 11, 2018.

1. Canaille

Canaille Well-Known Member

I wish we had answers to everything. I know it's not any of our business, but I can't help but wonder where the son was that night (the one living on the farm). No, I don't suspect him. I'm just curious as to why PM killed all who were living on the property except for the son. Also, is that the same son that had gotten married a couple years ago? I wonder if he's still married, or if they separated and that would be the reason for him living on the farm.

The only answer I can think of is that PM was not only not of sound mind, but that he may have been financially in trouble. Then, I could see where he might have felt hopeless... if he'd only killed himself, that would've left his wife, Katrina and the kids struggling. If that were the case, maybe he believed all were better off dead. So sad if that's what happened. So sad regardless of the reasons.

lorelei2017 likes this.

2. alicat

alicat Member

I believe Neil is the son who married.

A bit of Facebook searching and you can match the faces to the wedding pic on Katrina's picture.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

3. x_files

x_files Well-Known Member

Excellent questions that deserve answers.

4. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

Perhaps Tom was in Perth with his brother. His brother was undergoing major surgery. I find it unusual that none of his birth family were near to him at such a gruelling, stressful, worrying time for him. When he needed as much family support as possible. If the brothers are fairly close, it would be appropriate for Tom to be there ... with Neil's wife, presumably.

Perhaps that is why there is no question about Tom. The police may know he was far away at the time.

It may also have cleared the way for Peter to do what he is thought to have done, with no major interference.

5. SouthAussie

Peter may have thought his wife, daughter and grandchildren would struggle without him. But women are strong and get through unbelievably tough times. Which is why I find it all so unfair.

I was looking at government family support payments the other day, for a woman with 4 dependents, to see what Katrina would have been receiving. Katrina could have made it through with the children. Thousands of families in similar situations do ... every day.
    The same applies to Katrina's mum.

6. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

It's possible Peter decided to kill everyone after he placed the ads for work but before the neighbor called him and set up a time to meet. It would have been easier to set up a time to meet knowing he'd never show and the neighbor would later know why, than to try and come up with some reason to refuse to set up a time to meet at all.

I think refusing to set up an appointment after you placed ads for work would have looked stranger than setting one up that you never show for.

7. SouthAussie

Yes, I think he had his plan firmly in mind when he was offered a job by his neighbour.

Another neighbour, Richard Dossor, said he called Mr Miles the day before the mass shooting to offer the 61-year-old a job.
    Mr Dossor said he “sounded strange” on the phone.

“[He was] just not someone who I would have thought was keen to find a new client or customer,” Mr Dossor told Seven News.
    “He didn’t seem enthusiastic if you know what I mean?” he added.

http://www.news.com.au/national/wes...g/news-story/b056d8e00aa6315d2150f727d8372309

8. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Former Member

The police may have the answers to all those questions. Maybe that is how they came to the murder/suicide statements. They are not going to tell us every detail. We may never find out those details if the coroner denies access due to privacy concerns.

9. Tigerlily75

Tigerlily75 Well-Known Member

In addition to Sole Parenting Payment and Family Tax Benefit, she would have also received Carers Payments for the children with Autism, and possibly Child Support from the ex. Given she was living on her parents property there may have been no rent to pay. She would have had enough to support herself and her children.

If PM wanted to leave this world but was worried about his family's future, a life insurance policy would take care take care of that. I was surprised to learn that my own insurance policy covers suicide after a waiting period.

So IF PM is the perpetrator - and we don't know that yet - there is some other reason he's decided to take them all out. I just can't fathom what that could be from his perspective. Nothing has come up that seems out of the ordinary of regular life stressors. Including depression... people with depression don't wipe out their whole family.

There's just so much we don't know yet.

10. MRichards

MRichards On Time Out

Peter has shot the immediate family only pertaining to the exhusband who was on the boundary of the property. Not his whole family.

Peter was being medically treated for mental illness and probably on meds or has stopped taking them.
    It will be found he had a form of psychosis at the time.

Gob smacked firearms werent removed from gun safe as procedure.

There is text messages and a 000 call that police have.

There will more than likely be no logic in what has happened, if Peter made sense on the 000 call.

This will more than likely be the result of paranoid delusion, sometime the result of stopping medication.

11. SouthAussie

There is so much we don't know ... and so much we likely will never know.

I have wondered if Peter's own marriage was struggling. I wondered why Katrina's mother posted Katrina's poem. Katrina's mother also had four children. But she comes from a much more private generation.

I have read nothing to indicate that there is any substance to my wonderings, just that Cynda did not want to speak about it ... and I think she must have been going through great struggles of her own, considering Peter's reported depression and sense of failure, plus the lifestyle change from town living to self-sustainance farming.

“I had spoken to Cynda just on last week and I said ‘you’re looking tired, is everything okay?’” she told 7:30.
    “And she said to me then, oh, their son is in hospital up in Perth, he’s having major surgery and that was a concern,” adding that Cynda also confided there were “difficulties at home”.

“I didn’t want to push. I mean, if she doesn’t want to tell me she doesn’t want to tell me.
    “But clearly Peter was becoming less rational and that was a worry to her ... He’s had a difficult life,” she said.

http://www.news.com.au/national/cri...s/news-story/25dd2b8edd269e380de5142c6e670893

12. MRichards

MRichards On Time Out

While there might not have been any threat at the time, stressors such as marital splits do not help these situations.

Stress can be a trigger for mental illness leading to these actions.

Ive seen this before where our neighbour at about 60 years of age started seeing men in her cupboard.

She was shifted to a mental institution suffering delusions for everybodys safety..

13. SouthAussie

It is said that often girls "marry their father" ......

It's said that women fall for men like their fathers both physically and personality-wise and now a relationship expert has revealed just why this phenomenon occurs.
    Speaking to Marie Claire Dr. Judith Wright, from Illinois, Chicago, explains that 'pre-sexual programming' occurs at a very young age and children learn about relationships 'based on the way we are treated by their primary caregivers.'

Even if women have had bad relationships with their fathers they will apparently still go for a similar type of man because they think they can 'fix it and do a better job this time around.'
    She added: 'You might think that you're dating the extreme opposite to your father, and yet the unconscious mind finds a way of slipping back into what's comfortable.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...reveals-women-attracted-versions-fathers.html

14. MRichards

MRichards On Time Out

For all we know, Peter has conspired in his head the world has ended.

The rest is just guessing until an inquest is released.

15. MRichards

MRichards On Time Out

Do we have a percentage?

None of the immediate women I know have gone for men like their father.

16. Kid64

Kid64 Member

Have they came out and said they absolutely sure the grandfather killed them or are they just going by want it looked like when they first got there? After reading/listening to fathers statements I can't believe he didn't do it..I understand the grandfather was depressed over the death of his son but I still have a hard time with my fathers death and it's been 26 years. Is there anything out there that's shows the grandfather being a bad person? The father proves it every time he opens his mouth. I just want them to check all the evidence and anything they do before they have an answer

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Umbopus likes this.
  17. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Former Member

I am sure that the police are checking all the evidence.

18. symbah

symbah Well-Known Member

bbm
    Katrina's financial income may of recently changed as once a child turns eight (Kadyn, 8) the parenting payment single as it's now known ceases and is replaced under application with the newstart allowance. Newstart is based on the applicant searching for employment and is considerably less dollars than parenting payment.

http://singlemum.com.au/links/single_mother_financial_centrelink_benefits_support.html

19. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Former Member

She would still get the carers allowance and the disability bonus payment for each of the autistic children. I am not sure if the supporting parent's benefit is cut off when the youngest child is eight if you are a registered home schooler, that was the case few years ago, but may not be now.
    Also at 16 the eldest child would go on to the Disability Pension.

20. SouthAussie

New article ....

They also have many help lines referenced at the end of the article. Something we know they do when a terrible situation has eventuated, and they want to show others the way to relevant help, if they need it. This is usually indicative of the situation, in my experience.

Lifeline 131 114; MensLine 1300 789 978; Beyondblue 1300 224 636; National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service 1800 737 732; Men’s Referral Service 1300 766 491.