Aug is Utah Cold Case month and the Utah Cold Case Coalition is featuring Rosie Tapia's case
Click on Rosie Tapia's Thread and help Websleuths find Rosie's killer

Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #23

Discussion in 'Serial Killers' started by bessie, Jan 2, 2017.

1. petedavo.au

petedavo.au Well-Known Member

IMO, it'd have to be something direct, rather than her DNA being found in the wagon and a souvenir found secreted in the rafters or in his work locker. IMO it'd have to be located somewhere where no one else, except the accused could have access to, otherwise it could be argued that someone else could of caused it to be there. But then again there's always the possibility of witness testimony that could allege that the accused had given them an item, which the police might allege belonged to the missing girl which she was known to of had upon her at the time she went missing. However, not something which she could've dropped and was simply picked up by the accused off the footpath. That sort of thing. Because IMO even if SS's DNA was found in that car, it doesn't prove WHEN it got into the car, which means of course it could be argued that she got a lift in the car previously, or that the carpet was swapped between cars at Telstra at some point. So I think whatever it is has to be, must be tangible, belonged to SS, known to be upon her, and able to be shown to be in the personal possession of the accused.
    Was any of the other two bodies mutilated, missing body parts etc? I can only wonder just what it is too.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 6:04 AM
    Innerchild, DRT, ESH and 4 others like this.
  2. Zedx

Zedx Active Member

All very good points PD. Are you thinking along the lines of him gifting something to someone? What a horrific thought to find out where your gift came from!! Maybe it took 20 odd years to work it out?? If not that, maybe something got lodged under the carpet or somewhere else out of sight until the car was pulled apart!
    Does any one remember the story of someone saying a police friend told them SS's credit card or similar was found in a car?? It was quite some time back.

3. Eaglette

Eaglette Active Member

I've had a hiatus from this case but, this change in charge has again certainly sparked my interest. I don't think there will be any earth-shattering "evidence" of tokens/trophies coming up in this trial. Just plain old DNA on the bodies/clothes of the victims.

After following the Lloyd Rayney trial WAPOL had it all wrong suggesting Corryn Rayney was killed at her home. Indeed during his trial it was proven she took her last breaths at the Kings Park burial site. Put simply - An expert confirmed that pollen found on Corryn Rayney suggested she took her last breaths in Kings Park (not at her home).

IMO WAPOL looked stupid/incompetent for not getting this part of their accusation & case correct.

I believe it is easier to say "murdered at an unknown location". Therefore, not having to "prove" it was done at the "dump site".

Innerchild, Zedx, alj65 and 5 others like this.
  4. SN76

SN76 Active Member

Hi Zedx

Yes I recall this "doing the rounds"...way back in the early days of the investigation, but I recall it was found in the rear seat of a taxi.

My opinion though is its a Perth "urban legend".

MOO.

Innerchild, Zedx, Annalise and 5 others like this.
  5. no name

no name Well-Known Member

3 murder charges & only 2 recovered victims? Fair chance there has to be something more.

Innerchild, alj65, Annalise and 5 others like this.
  6. Kambo

Kambo Active Member

SS DNA - how would they get a definite match without finding her. Obviously they can get close with testing family members etc but is it concrete enough? All it would prove is that someone from their family had been in the vehicle at some point. I wouldn’t be surprised if the SS charge is dropped and revisited after trial.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    ESH, Annalise and DRT like this.
  7. DRT

DRT Well-Known Member

I believe mutilation is the only thing that WAPOL have definitely denied about the way the girls were killed.

In the article from the Age 30 June 1998 Who Killed These Woman. The Hunt for the Serial Killer the following was said. Links have been displayed here before but I don't believe any are valid any more. One disappeared within a week of me posting it here.

Police have revealed little about the bodies or the investigation, but the rumors became so frightening they told
    The Age emphatically: "They were not mutilated."

8. petedavo.au

petedavo.au Well-Known Member

Multanova image? They do get a good view through the windshield, but someone would have to positively identify the Images of the driver and passenger. Since it's time stamped and includes the location, then if such existed, it could prove that SS and in the car after she phoned Swan Taxis. I'd imagine that they would've gone through the accused fines record, and spent the last year's trying to retrieve the multanova images associated with each fine. That's another possibility, although it'd probably won't prove what happened to her, it would be strong circumstantial evidence.

Annalise, FromGermany, alj65 and 4 others like this.
  9. no name

Nooooo! Could you imagine that. Deer in the headlights with a victim sitting beside you, circumstantial evidence indeed!
    Good god, even the thought freaked me out so its a shame I doubt that happened. It would have to make someone think twice about what they intended to do, at the least.

Spinnaker likes this.
  10. Georgie Girl

Georgie Girl Member

I havent been on here for a while and have just caught up on the conversation. I was at the committal hearing if anyone has any questions. He did look like he'd lost weight. He also looked pale and gaunt. Being locked up for 23 hours a day in protective custody will do that. He also looked like he was waiting for a bus. Not in Magistrates Court being charged with 3 murders and two sexual assaults. The defense wanted more time to organize experts and asked for an October 1st hearing. The prosecution had asked for the 17th September and said they wanted to move forward as quickly as possible to trial. They said full disclosure had been met in early July, and asked to set aside the 1st of May 2019 to the end of December for the trial. They wanted to be done by Xmas 19. However they had failed to organize a supreme Court judge who was available for that time. Seems like some standard procedures were not followed. I hope they tackle the trial with more preparedness. As for the Hakea prisoner who was bashed. No one is allowed to know who it is as it is against the law. However, my opinion is who else would it be? Been in general population for a few weeks after demanding to be let out of protective custody. Bashed Wednesday a few hours after being put back in general population. Who had a court appearance Wednesday? Pleaded not guilty to all 9 charges. Every prisoner would know who he is, and I bet a few were waiting to see if he pleaded guilty or not. I guess his pleas of not guilty upset a few people.

11. El Gordo

El Gordo Well-Known Member

I am not meaning to be smart about this , but a prisoner cannot be locked up for 23 hours a day in protective custody And in the general prison population

A remand prisoner would not be locked up for 23 hours a day anyway , they are innocent until proven guilty

Even if he is in protective custody the state has to protect him , not put him in solitary

I know I am repeating myself but this is a 20 year old case the prison population could not care less about , if you doubt that , look at the number of people who follow these threads

The general public is not interested in this case , why would the prison population
    If it was BRE who was bashed it would be front page news despite Rules... the defence would make sure of it … there are newspapers in other states that would print it if the local ones didnt

Fortune Cookie, Spinnaker and DRT like this.
  12. Georgie Girl

Georgie Girl Member

BRE has been in protective custody for over a year and a half hence the pale face. The assaulted prisoner had been in protective custody until a few weeks ago when he demanded to be let out into the general population. The assaulted prisoner had been in the general population for a few weeks the reports said. The prisoner was assaulted the Wednesday after BRE appeared in court via video link. He would have been removed from the general population to appear via video then returned to general population following the link up and pleas. Does that clear it up for you? I've read all of the news reports linked above surrounding the assaulted prisoner and they all say slightly different information. You need to read between the lines. As for the rest of what you say I disagree. I'm going to find some links for you.

13. El Gordo

I do not need to read between the lines , I have my opinion you have yours , and please do not provide links for my benefit , I know how the prison system works

Spinnaker, DRT and Annalise like this.
  14. Georgie Girl

Georgie Girl Member

Great. I wasn't having any luck posting links anyway. Indeed my opinion is it was highly likely BRE was the injured prisoner given the timing and the delay in reporting the assault and trip to hospital. You don't have to read between the lines. And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm not here to fight with you.

lampformypath, Spinnaker and Annalise like this.
  15. El Gordo

I have said this previously , I doubt BRE is among the general population , but if he was why would he have to be the victim .. if he is guilty he has a capacity for violence , why couldn't he be the attacker
    And I know this sounds horrible but the victims are not from the right demographic that the prison population would be interested in avenging them , especially after the time that has passed , drugs rule prisons now and have for a long time , the majority could not care less about BRE and the minority are not thugs

16. Annalise

Annalise Well-Known Member

Thank you Georgie Girl for the information about the trial on 25th July. Its good to hear from someone who actually attended instead of the little bit of information the news let's us have. Nice to get a physical description too. JMO

Innerchild, aequitas and FromGermany like this.
  17. janwa

janwa Active Member

This will give you the gen on Hakea Prison

Protection Prisoners 6.58 As the inspection commenced in May 2012, there were 71 prisoners placed in Unit 6, the protection unit. Two others were place in the management Unit, and one in Crisis Care. Unit 6 has 71 cells, so almost all had single cells. A diverse range of prisoners find themselves in need of protection in prison. Some fear retribution for a crime committed (or allegedly committed) against a person beloved by another prisoner, some are members of feuding outlaw motorcycle gangs or families, others are targeted by others for drug debts or for cooperating with the authorities, some have committed (or alleged to have committed) crimes others consider heinous, especially against children, and some are mentally unwell or otherwise feeling vulnerable.

Prisoners hate to be in what they call the SHU (special handling unit) as the rest of the population presume they are all child molesters.

http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/pub...b1360bdc638a491648257b4f0027e667/$file/17.pdf

Annalise, Innerchild and FromGermany like this.
  18. no name

The truth about life behind bars at WA’s Hakea Prison | PerthNow
    December 2017, Sunday Times invited into Hakea. Mentions BRE being in protection in unit 6 currently housing 105 prisoners.
    7000 prisoners a year pass through its doors.
    "After a day spent either working, attending court appearances, participating in education, training or life-skills programs, playing sport or working out, the prisoners are back in the tight confines of their cells — most of which have double bunks and all of which have a TV with two DVD channels, a fan, shelving, toilet and basin — by 6.20pm for the nightly lockdown".
    Approx 13 hours a day spent in their cells & assume thats for the majority who can conduct themselves accordingly.

El Gordo - any suggestions as to why he may be in Protection if no one cares about him or his crimes?
    The amount of people in the forums has no correlation whatsoever to the amount of interest & to suggest there is no interest in this case publically or within the prison population is mind boggling to me. I cant understand how you formed that opinion

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 3:34 PM
    Annalise and Innerchild like this.
  19. Kambo

Kambo Active Member

Yes that's right, he is in protection because nobody cares about him or his crimes as they are over 20 years old....... El Gordo, That's probably one of the more bizarre things i have read on here, and that's saying something. The public interest in this case is enormous.

Annalise and no name like this.
  20. El Gordo

I will respond to a couple of comments here so will by pass quotes … BRE is in protective custody because he is a high profile prisoner , he is innocent until proven guilty and has a right to be protected … the authorities would not take any chances with him

The general public may be interested in this case when its in the news , and then they are not , I do not know one person in the real world who discusses this case

I follow this case for personal reasons , take those reasons away and I would not , I do not follow any other cases because I have no interest in them

Most of my opinions are formed from life experience , including how the prison system works , but if people wish to think they know more than I do that's fine with me .. I am quite happy to shut up and say nothing

Footnote , the prison population know who was assaulted and by whom , if you want to know ask one of them … they are not covered by suppression orders and such

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 11:09 PM
    no name likes this.