Australia Australia - Claremont SK, 1996-97, Perth, WA - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a photo of BRE in his last year at GHS. He was about 17.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Edwards.jpg
    Edwards.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 223
How Serial Killers were caught

Peter Coonan (formerly named Sutcliffe) – Nicknamed the Yorkshire Ripper (Sheffield UK – 1975 to 1980)

In summary, Sutcliffe was convicted of murdering thirteen women within the U.K. Sutcliffe was arrested in Jan 1981 when police realized his car was fitted with false number plates, and officers noticed a resemblance between him and the characteristics of the Yorkshire Ripper. Police returned to the scene, of Sutcliffe’s arrest the following day - locating a knife, hammer and rope.

https://www.thesun.co.uk

respect the ocean. I have witnessed the gentle waves of Cottesloe fracture my friends neck after dumping her.
Waves have been so ferocious that they have snapped the bell (an old concrete pylon left from the first shark net) )

Days when the south-westerly swell after a big storm, was big enough to wash over Cottesloe Groyne and take any loose fishing rods and tackle with them over into the water on the Northern side.

More a reflection of the stupidity of fishing in those conditions. (me included:)) than the power of mother nature.

The hitchhiker Tilbury confessed to picking up was Vanessa Devlin, murdered 17th June 1988 (this is correct date).
However, the suspect they were looking for was mid 20's (description in following news reports). Many articles made an emphasis on the connection between VD’s murder and the southside rapist and with Victoria Clark’s death on 9[SUP]th[/SUP] September 1987 (this is also the correct date).

It would have been interesting if the audio interview asked Tilbury what sort of mags he had on the car and what was on the stickers on the rear window. I have summaries from newspaper reports at the time Took photos but rookie error, as none came out.

The West Australian June 18[SUP]th,[/SUP] 1988, page 1. By Steve Lague.
New Southside murder hunt.
Police find partially clothed body of Vanessa Roberta Devlin 23 years old.
Certain similarities to other attacks by south side rapist.
Found on floor of a sleepout at the rear of an Albany Highway house. House is 100m from highway and no close neighbours with a railway line running alongside.
South side rapist may be responsible for more than 16 attacks on women in the past 2 years. They include the murder of Victoria Clark aged 30. Suspect is mid 20’s 175 cm tall medium build, dark curly hair and brown eyes. Police unwilling to say just one man was responsible. Maybe shift worker.

Sunday Times Perth June 19[SUP]th[/SUP] 1988 Page 1 by Andrew Masterson and Maxine Brown.
Is a sexfiend on the loose?
Murder Hunt Car Clue
Dead in bedroom
Police investigating the brutal sex murder of Vanessa Roberta Devlin, 23, have appealed to the public to help in the search for a man who gave her a lift to her Maddington house just before she was murdered. The man was seen arriving in a metallic green Datsun 240 C sedan and is believed to be the last person to see her alive. Senior Detective Sergeant Max Kiernan the man heading the hunt for the notorious “Southside rapist” said yesterday the 1976 ? or 1977 model car had been parked at Miss Devlin’s house at 2003? Albany Highway. It had mag wheels, stickers on the rear windscreen and black and yellow registration plates.
Urgent
The urgent hunt for the driver of the vehicle may help to resolve the disturbing question haunting police this weekend. Was the murder the work of the “southside rapist” or is there now a second sex fiend stalking the southern suburb? Sergeant K said police believed the driver of the car had given Miss Devlin a lift to her home when she was hitch hiking from a friend’s house on Friday morning. It is believed she was picked up near Nicholson Rd Canning Vale. Senior D-S Vince Katich said the murder had occurred between 11.30 am and 2.00pm on Friday. Her body was discovered about 3? pm by the other occupant of the house, Mr Max Carroll. She was lying in a rear bedroom naked from the waist down and had been strangled with an electrical cord.
Mr Carroll was yesterday being interviewed by police but was not suspected of any involvement in the crime. Miss Devlin, unemployed had been living at the house for only seven weeks before her death. The house is an old rambling bungalow set back from the road on a large block next to Stockerly railway station. It is surrounded by trees and tall bamboo plants and has no near neighbours. Police sources said it appeared Miss Devlin had been strangled while she was being raped. The sources said there were marked differences between her killing and that of Victoria Clarke – but a link between them had not been discounted.
“There is every chance it is the same person involved, but we just can’t say” said S Kiernan. “There are indications? and some evidence to support a connection.”

Copycat crime
He said the daylight timing of the killing was “out of character” for the southside rapist who is thought to have so far struck at night. He asid it was possible it was s copycat crime. “But I think we are one step closer to catching the southside rapist” he said. Sarg Katch said they are “extremely confident” the man seen driving the Datson could explain what had happened on Friday. Continued Pg 2.
Have you seen a car like this?
Picture of Datsun 240C
Police hunt sex killer pg 2
...talks about VD's mother losing her husband and parents in the last year and just revering from heart surgery. Real estate agent calls it the ýobbo' house...
Sunday Times Perth, June 26[SUP]th[/SUP] 1988.
Pg 26 Police silent on girl’s heroin running”

Federal Police allege Victoria Devlin was involved in a heroin ring.
Victoria Devlin (23) was charged with heroin possession several days before being killed, under the customs act.
Denis Michael Herbert (26) was charged the day before and is in Canningvale Remand Centre. He had a visit from VD on the day she was murdered. It was alleged she was a courier bringing heroin in from the Eastern States.

Pg 30 Arrest, but rapist search still on by Andrew Masterson.
James Alexander Tilbury (46) was arrested for the VD murder.
A man is still sought for the southside rapes and the Victoria Clark (30) murder. There had been nine rapes in 1986, five in 1987 and one so far this year.

The West Australian June 28[SUP]th[/SUP]. Page 3. Murdered hitch hiker faced heroin charges
James A Tilbury in court facing charges for the murder.

Video of JR outside Hotel - Person of Interest

A few days ago someone asked if the POI within the video footage was BRE. My apologies for not quoting your original post - I was unable to locate it.

It's a good question, and one I'd like an answer to as well. It's the back view of a person, and I don't know if it can be used as evidence. Does anyone in the forum know if it can be used as evidence?

Beforehand, forum members have mentioned that WAPOL probably have clearer images of the various footage but haven't released them to the public.

I'm sure BRE will need to provide an alibi for the night in question but I believe he's been quiet 'tight-lipped' about the whole matter!

These are only my thoughts and opinions.

Enough about the waves and how the car ended up there already.... zzzzzzzz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enough about the waves and how the car ended up there already.... zzzzzzzz

Great post!

Posts are purely my own opinion unless otherwise stated with source links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Now that an individual is in custody, if they were found to be linked to other crimes (for example, via DNA) would this information be made public before trial?

Now that an individual is in custody, if they were found to be linked to other crimes (for example, via DNA) would this information be made public before trial?

Good question !

Good question !

I have so many questions...

I have so many questions...

Fire away!

Firstly, between all of the sleuthers here, I've noticed a wide range of background expertise and career knowledge that comes through in their posts. There's a bunch of 'experts' who post here!! Someone can probably help answer your questions.

Secondly, many sleuthers here (not me) have been sleuthing here for years, so their knowledge about the CSK case is a massive resource. If the experts can't help you the 'old-timers' probably can!

Good luck with your sleuthing

[emoji317][emoji317][emoji317]

At the time, my dad suspected our night driver of our taxi. He drove that model datsun but it was a mid blue. The next shift after Kerry Turner disappeared, his car had been detailed top to bottom, including an engine wash. This was unusual for this guy as dad had to constantly be on his back to clean the taxi at end of shift. Dad reported his info to crimestoppers at the time as that night he had returned the taxi early
hours his instead of 6am return. He suspected him as where she went missing was a meeting spot for night drivers.

That is funny you say that. My husband works in automotive repair and worked with someone that around the time of JR disappearance bought his car to work and pulled it apart (as in took the seats out, etc) and cleaned it absolutely soaking it inside and out. We reported to crime stoppers a decade ago. People that work with cars know you don't saturate the interior with a hose as it causes rust and mould, etc. this guy was also a slob when it came to cleaning.

Your Dad's story is so similar to my husbands. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Video of JR outside Hotel - Person of Interest

A few days ago someone asked if the POI within the video footage was BRE. My apologies for not quoting your original post - I was unable to locate it.

It's a good question, and one I'd like an answer to as well. It's the back view of a person, and I don't know if it can be used as evidence. Does anyone in the forum know if it can be used as evidence?

Beforehand, forum members have mentioned that WAPOL probably have clearer images of the various footage but haven't released them to the public.

I'm sure BRE will need to provide an alibi for the night in question but I believe he's been quiet 'tight-lipped' about the whole matter!

These are only my thoughts and opinions.

IMO they may be able to use it to judge MM height. If they know the height of JR they could calculate MM height and say someone similar in height was seen talking to her before she disappeared but I don't think it would be useful for much else.

IMO they may be able to use it to judge MM height. If they know the height of JR they could calculate MM height and say someone similar in height was seen talking to her before she disappeared but I don't think it would be useful for much else.

IMO the bouncers working the door on the night of Jane's disappearance were probably asked if they knew the identity of MM and maybe even help contribute to an identikit picture.

Quote Innerchild :
"I swam every morning for 2 years winter and summer around the pylon to end of groyne and back, although we had moved by 1988."
------------------------------------

"Moved by 1988"
---------------
Adamant that the reef was covered with sand ?
Well, I can remember the little reef myself, around 1988 .

I think in Winter , much more so than summer , that sand and beach shape change consistently.
The reef maybe covered & uncovered regularly.
Beach Sand isnt as permanent as a reef is.
1988 was a "la nina" event that caused storms and beach erosion .
(Links have been provided in previous posts )

If a car was on top of the reef , and there was sand covering the reef it wouldnt act as a cushion anyway .
A bit of sand on a solid rock reef is not going to protect a car if it scrapes over it upside down .

Another factor is the
Swell direction at the time (1988) is crucially important. Ive provided the historical data , Angle of degrees in previous posts .
The swell direction is crucial because of rottnest island , garden island and gage roads acting as swell blockers shadowing cott beach from the South to SW to West.
The swell direction , according to the data i provided (links in previous posts) was around Nor-West which is completely different than the recent event on sunday which was WSW .
Theres no islands blocking the swells if its come from the northwest .

All these factors have to be considered.

Weather forecasts or tide forecasts are not excact or correct .
Forecast and hindcast are different.

Below is an example of predicted and Actual tide data showing how the barometric pressure affects tide levels.
Tides can go the other way just as easily too , dependant of hpa pressures.
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/imarine/albany-tide-and-wave.asp

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/imarine/cottesloe-tide-and-wave.asp
Cottesloe data showed 1.5m maximum
on sunday. This is no comparison to the power of waves on the 20th or 22nd june 1988
(Links to graphs have been posted previously)
f99bb0f5325e4094b3142d5cae733c5f.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member