Australia - Eight children killed in mass stabbing, Cairns, Qld, 19 Dec 2014 *Arrest*

It's ok on my part Zuckerscneke if the Australian mental health system is criticised. Because due to funding cuts it is pretty bleak for people with MI here. And unfortunately I think it's only going to get worse. :(

It's such a tragic situation. Australia is hurting at the moment.

I saw this on the news during my every morning waking up and can't sleep time and it makes me so sad what these kids must have gone through.

My first thoughts were that it was the mom, only because some of the kids seemed older and if this was some random murder, then they would have had to do it in such a way that the older kids couldn't intervene. I immediately thought that whoever did it, did it in some 'order.'

The holidays are a tough time for people, I am definitely not making excuses for her or whoever did it IN THE LEAST but these things tend to occur around this time of year as it brings out the loneliness and depression in people. And I hope no one goes criticizing the mental health system in Australia because the US is in deep doodoo in this area.

BBM - I hate that my mind went there, but I thought the same thing. Logistically, how does a mother do this? Physically, how does a mother do this? Mentally, how does a mother do this? Some things I just can't wrap my brain around. I do have sympathy for her if she was having hallucinations and had lost touch with reality. That's probably as far as I can go right now with it.

BBM - I hate that my mind went there, but I thought the same thing. Logistically, how does a mother do this? Physically, how does a mother do this? Mentally, how does a mother do this? Some things I just can't wrap my brain around. I do have sympathy for her if she was having hallucinations and had lost touch with reality. That's probably as far as I can go right now with it.

I hate thinking it, but the first thing that popped in my head was Andrea Yates. She did it methodically and she was certifiably nuts. If what this neighbor is saying is true, that she was screaming and ranting about needing forgiveness etc, then she sounds like she lost it. It's sad. There is ZERO excuse for it, but mental illness is real. And that many kids......I can't judge because I don't know her life. It's bad enough when I child is murdered but having the last thoughts being that it's your mother.....I can't go there.

Awful. Poor kids. If it was the mother then she's clearly gone insane. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I am not jumping to the conclusion this mother was mentally ill. There is no evidence thus far she was mentally ill. I sort of get tired of the mental illness excuse being immediately banded about when it is a mom who murders when that is never discussed when a father wipes out his children.

Moms who murder their children are the gender who most often doesn't succeed in their suicide attempt. When fathers murder their children they are more often successful in committing suicide. It makes one wonder if the moms truly did want to commit suicide or did the failed attempt thinking it would invoke sympathy. I think if someone really has intentions of killing themselves they will accomplish the deed. She easily could have cut her throat from ear to ear. She certainly didn't have any problem murdering all of these innocent children.

Actually moms who murder their children are most often NOT mentally ill. In fact only 2-4% of moms who murder their children are deemed mentally ill. I find it disturbing that she supposedly said 'she was going to start a new life.' (paraphrasing)

They murder their children for the same reasons fathers often do.

They see them as burdens they no longer want to carry.

Marital issues in the home.

Spite. etc............

Those poor kids, what they went through at the hands of their mother is just too heartbreaking to even try and comprehend. :( :( :(

I wonder if the mum was going through a manic phase followed by psychosis with the 2 am cleaning, the children went to bed exhausted and she then carried out the killing? There must have been signs for years, the kids were used to their mum's ranting?

If the older kids were awake, they would have fled and raised the alarm.

“DON’T let them take them away from us. God bless us. Forgive me for what I’ll do.”

Senior police have confirmed to The Courier-Mail that Mersane Warria, also known as Raina Thaiday, is a person of interest in what is being described as one of the worst mass murders in Australia’s history.

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...uburb-of-manoora/story-fnj4alav-1227161862831

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not jumping to the conclusion this mother was mentally ill. There is no evidence thus far she was mentally ill. I sort of get tired of the mental illness excuse being immediately banded about when it is a mom who murders when that is never discussed when a father wipes out his children.

Moms who murder their children are the gender who most often doesn't succeed in their suicide attempt. When fathers murder their children they are more often successful in committing suicide. It makes one wonder if the moms truly did want to commit suicide or did the failed attempt thinking it would invoke sympathy. I think if someone really has intentions of killing themselves they will accomplish the deed. She easily could have cut her throat from ear to ear. She certainly didn't have any problem murdering all of these innocent children.

Actually moms who murder their children are most often NOT mentally ill. In fact only 2-4% of moms who murder their children are deemed mentally ill. I find it disturbing that she supposedly said 'she was going to start a new life.' (paraphrasing)

Spite. etc............
Links for any of this? Much is in need of substantiation.

“DON’T let them take them away from us. God bless us. Forgive me for what I’ll do.”

These were the pleading screams of a woman heard by neighbours at 9pm on Thursday.

At 11:20am the next day, a young man, a 20-year-old brother of the family, walked into a Cairns house to find eight of his siblings dead.

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...uburb-of-manoora/story-fnj4alav-1227161862831

Was she about to lose her kids?

Senior police have confirmed to The Courier-Mail that Mersane Warria, also known as Raina Thaiday, is a person of interest in what is being described as one of the worst mass murders in Australia’s history.

No charges have been laid.

“She was having a bad night; I heard her fighting with someone this morning about 4am,’’ a neighbour, Tahnia Ruttensteiner, said.

Ms Ruttensteiner said she saw Ms Warria “moving stuff out of the house”, claiming she was going to “make a new start”.

“I last saw her about 6am, then it was quiet.

“She was putting furniture and stuff out the front on the street, giving stuff away to family and friends.

“She said she was changing her life. She wasn’t well but she loved those kids.”

So very sad.

When I first saw this my first fear was that it was connected to a previous Australia case.
This baby boy still has 4 surviving sisters that many believe are still in danger. :twocents:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...t-bridge-Dad-charged&highlight=elijah+rainbow

Once there was 8 kids I knew it was not... but I was holding my breath for a bit.
I still don't understand the logistics of this. 8 kids... and none of them managed to escape.
What did this woman do to these kids?! :scared:

It seems like so often in Australia people are just waiting for the horrible thing to happen so something can be done.
Tragedy isn't always enough to prevent tragedy. Being known to authorities often doesn't matter.
All of our systems need a serious overhaul... both here and in Australia. :tears:

I'm going to talk about the elephant in the room.

We have damaged the aboriginal people of this country so badly over the years with our government intervention, that I don't think anyone knows what to do anymore .. throwing services and money at the problem isn't working.

I do not have any answers for it, other than it's not OK and needs fixing .. Australia is two countries, a white first world country, and a black third world country, everyone should look at this movie and it's follow up film called Utopia to see the extent of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j_r0Wgg0T0

[video=youtube;ht8_5UlcgSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8_5UlcgSQ[/video]

We need to take ownership of it and we all need to work together to fix it before it's too late and we lose our original people to violence, substance abuse and despair.

This story is so horrific that it is gaining national and world attention for once, there are many many more stories that are never told and are brushed under the carpet daily because we just do not want to face the truth of how sad and horrific the situation really is.

What a horrific week it has been for our country .. our people .. the children .. the victims :candle:

Spite. etc............

From what I've read so far, this mother was definitely mentally ill. Witnesses claim they heard constant loud fights/arguments in this home and maybe, alcohol abuse among other things.

I definitely agree, there are mothers who just want rid of their children, the general public wants to believe in every instance that it's mental illness, while not necessarily so. JMO

Woman heard screaming for forgiveness before child massacre

553033-9757e444-8752-11e4-a68f-3946861404f8.jpg

Mersane Warria five years ago with baby Rodney, whom she delivered on the side of the road before she could reach hospital.

Senior police last night told The Courier-Mail that Mersane Warria, also known as Raina Thaiday, was a person of interest in one of the worst mass murders in Australia’s history. Her seven children and niece were killed. No charges have been laid.

Neighbours reported hearing a woman screaming in a mixture of English and Torres Strait Creole, a native language of Islanders. Another neighbour, Tahnia Ruttensteiner, had seen the mother lugging personal possessions from her home to her front yard on Thursday, saying she was going to “make a new start”. “She was having a bad night; I heard her fighting with someone this morning about 4am,’’ she said.

Their mother avoided painkillers while giving birth to all her children and in 2009 delivered one of her youngest sons in the back of an ambulance, two blocks from the Cairns Base Hospital, according to a Cairns Post article at the time.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...e-child-massacre/story-fnihsrf2-1227162553523

What a pretty lady. What a beautiful baby. Why, oh, why. :tears:

I will never understand filicide.

On 2GB just now, the mother has been arrested for murder.

IMO mentally healthy people don't kill other people intentionally IMO IMO IMO IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back