Found Alive Australia - EL, 18, Bendigo, Victoria, 29 July 2015 *Arrest*

What an amaaazing stroke of luck...if LE could only be this lucky in other abduction cases!

(O/T, this reminds me of a Forensic Files episode I saw...an alert police officer happened to be walking by a shop when he saw a sales flyer in the window...the typing/font was similar to a ransom note he had seen. The perp was caught because of this alert police officer.)

Thank goodness this perp is in custody...was he going to let her go, or kill her? And how many other times has he done something like this? Any other unsolved sexual assaults/abductions in the area?

(Btw, it sure is a pleasure to talk with you folks all the way over in Australia!)

Hi Margarita always lovely to be on a thread with you! This area is not known for this type of crime, that's why a lot of us are very shocked. My opinion is that he was heading out of town to possibly kill her and dispose of her, where the car was pulled over when she was found was on a very rural road and the 100km speed sign says to me he was on his way out of town. I have heard plenty of rumour about what happened to her but I'm not going to go in to it as I have no links but it has all been suppressed by the court so we won't be hearing much at all. E is just so lucky to be alive. The whole town is still in a state of shock.

What is the rules around linking information found about the accused?

I haven't seen anywhere he has been named? So I'm not sure we are allowed to discuss this info.

ETA: First article I've seen his name in. Then yes I'm pretty sure we can discuss this? Or possibly not because he has been suppressed?! I honestly can't remember. Thinking back to Jill Meagher's case I don't think we were allowed to discuss AB once the suppression order was in place. Mod's??

Daniel Reimers, 38, did not apply for bail and has been remanded in custody to re-appear in the Bendigo Magistrates’ Court on November 11.

The prosecution requested his charges and all images of Reimers be suppressed out of fear it would “substantially risk the proper administration of justice”.

Prosecutor Senior Constable Karl Mannes said discussing the charges could cause “undue distress and embarrassment to the witness in the matter”.

He said there were concerns the victim may be identified and, given the “significant media interest in the matter”, the suppression order was in the public interest.

Magistrate Richard Wright agreed, saying there would be a clear link between the victim, the charges and the accused should the charges not be suppressed.

He said the fact the victim had been named previously as a missing person made it a difficult matter, but the suppression orders were necessary.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3248475/missing-teen-found-alive/?cs=3372

So strange there's been no details of this made public since it happened. No info about trials, charges, sentencing or anything.

After inquiring how long these requests take, the reply I got was "Your request is still being considered by the Judge, unfortunately I cannot give you a timeframe of how long these applications can take, as it depends on when the Judge has capacity to consider the request."

I did a little digging and discovered that EL (whose full name is still displayed on some tweets and even in one Herald Sun article from the time of the incident, which surprised me considering the suppression order) has done well with her life, becoming a dentist and appears to be in a happy relationship. That makes me very happy indeed. Good for her. I'm still waiting to hear from the judge regarding the perpetrator Reimers. Maybe I will never hear.

Okay, I finally received the following response from the County Court.

"Good Afternoon,

I am writing further to your request to access court records concerning the matter of Daniel REIMERS 2016 file.

Please be advised that Judge Mullaly has considered your application and has refused your request.

Please note that the sentence of the County Court judge was the subject of an unsuccessful appeal by the accused some 2 years later. The decision of the Court of Appeal has been made publicly available on Austlii under a pseudonym. It is Gray (a Pseudonym) 2018 VSCA 113.

If you have any questions, or wish to discuss this further, please contact the criminal registry."

I searched Austlii, and couldn't find the document. Maybe one of you is able to. In any case, I replied respectfully for a direct link to the Decision of Court of Appeal, and also a reason for His Honor's refusal. See what eventuates.

My interpretation is that Reimers had appealed the sentence and was unsuccessful, indicating that he most likely thought it was excessive. Sucks to be him I guess.

If anyone can elucidate as to why these types of court results are suppressed and pseudonyms are used for appeals, I'd appreciate it.

Okay, I finally received the following response from the County Court.

"Good Afternoon,

I am writing further to your request to access court records concerning the matter of Daniel REIMERS 2016 file.

Please be advised that Judge Mullaly has considered your application and has refused your request.

Please note that the sentence of the County Court judge was the subject of an unsuccessful appeal by the accused some 2 years later. The decision of the Court of Appeal has been made publicly available on Austlii under a pseudonym. It is Gray (a Pseudonym) 2018 VSCA 113.

If you have any questions, or wish to discuss this further, please contact the criminal registry."

I searched Austlii, and couldn't find the document. Maybe one of you is able to. In any case, I replied respectfully for a direct link to the Decision of Court of Appeal, and also a reason for His Honor's refusal. See what eventuates.

My interpretation is that Reimers had appealed the sentence and was unsuccessful, indicating that he most likely thought it was excessive. Sucks to be him I guess.

If anyone can elucidate as to why these types of court results are suppressed and pseudonyms are used for appeals, I'd appreciate it.
Here is the direct link https://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/cases/vic/VSCA/2018/163.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back