Australia Australia - Elizabeth 'Beth' Barnard, 23, Phillip Island, VIC, 22 Sept 1986

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by The Momster, Jan 3, 2007.

1. The Momster

The Momster New Member

2. Loading...

3. GreenEyedGirl

GreenEyedGirl New Member

Very interesting story! Now, I am going to have to do some research, because I need to know more! Thanks for sharing the link.

4. CatMama3

CatMama3 New Member

Wow. Did I read this story correctly? Maybe the wife killed the girlfriend then committed suicide, or maybe someone else killed the girlfriend and the wife. And if the second scenario is true, maybe the unknown killer made it look like the first scenario, or maybe the locals chose to see it that way rather than consider a double homicide. I wonder how far the wife's truck was found from the bridge where she supposedly committed suicide. If the first scenario is true, why would her truck be found someplace other than where she died? Did she drive it there, park it and come back to the bridge to jump? That alone sounds weird. Unless I mis-read or missed something.

5. Alice253

Alice253 Live Every Moment

Wow, what a story! Personally, at first glance, I lean toward Fergus as the perp - both his women getting ready to leave him. I know he supposedly had an alibi, but so do lots of other perps. This is one mystery I would like to see WS's dig their teeth into and see what scenarios we can come up with. I'll be back tonight after work.

6. curious1

curious1 So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm

Whoa FFWifey! Switch to decaf!! :crazy: Just kidding. When I read it I was reading it like 'what if, but then what if oh but what if'...only 3 times faster. I felt like my dog chasing her tail. I get like that sometimes myself. One theory comes to you and the all the others just start coming at you at the same time and it alls just goes very fast. Very good points you made.

7. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

From January 2015:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...emains-a-mystery/story-fnat7jnn-1226505503291

8. PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy New Member

31 years cold

It amazes me that a case as bizarre as this one is so low profile. This can surely be solved.

9. The Odd Sock

The Odd Sock New Member

I'm enthralled by this case. What strikes me as odd is that we cannot get any information on it. Vicki Petrakis (Sorry Vicki for spelling your name incorrectly) wrote a book on it and we can no longer get it as it is not in print. So frustrating.

10. PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy New Member

I agree, this is a very interesting and mysterious case that was somehow swept under the carpet and that is where it has remained. The book is really good, definitely worth the read. I got my copy off ebay years ago and if you keep an eye out there, you should be able to pick up a copy. Completed listings shows there were 4 copies available and sold in the last 3 months.

True Crime Sisters podcast covered the case a few weeks ago, you can listen to it here:
    https://player.fm/series/true-crime-sisters-1559901/the-murder-of-beth-barnard

11. BoysTown

BoysTown New Member

I just downloaded the ebook of it on Kobo :)

12. Gem.F

Gem.F New Member

I grew up on Phillip Island (aged 1-20yrs), and this case was rarely spoken about. I was handed down my Mum's copy of the book, which amazed me, because I've spent my entire childhood and adolescent years in the same places mentioned in the book. I crossed the bridge every day on my way to high school, my friend lived on the same road as Beth's house, and I frequented the milkbar across from where Vivienne's car was found.
    The most suspicious part to me, is that Viveinne supposedly jumped to her death that night on the bridge. As far as I know, no one has EVER died on that bridge. In fact, I know plenty of people who would jump off the bridge, just for a thrill. Groups of boys would take turns jumping, to prove their masculinity, before swimming back to shore completely unharmed.
    Also, according to Vivienne's friends, she had known about the affair for some time (and it wasn't even his first affair), so why was this time so different? Why would she suddenly snap, drive all the way to Beth's house, brutally murder her, and carve an A into her body? If she had managed to ignore (and not murder) Fergus' previous love interests, why would she murder Beth?
    As for the crime not being solved, or even thoroughly investigated- its quite sad that these small town murders are so easily looked over. I always got the feeling that no one really wanted to talk about it, because it was so awful, and basically considered unsolved.

13. islandJake

islandJake New Member

Hey Gem, im just curious as to where the barnard house was? Im relatively new to the island and was blown away when i did some research on where i live. I drove down McFees rd and it looks like it might have been number 128 which would have probably been demolished and rebuilt if it was there, and recently sold too. Any info would be appreciated!

Bohemian likes this.