Australia Australia - Jessica Small, 15, Bathurst, NSW, 26 Oct 1997

From the link above from Tootsie Footsie's post:

Ms Small told the inquest she was in regular contact with her sister and said the last time she saw Jessica she was her “normal bubbly self”.

The last time Ms Small saw Jessica was on the eve of her disappearance when she was at her mother’s house, along with Jessica’s best friend Vanessa.
Ms Small said Jessica “seemed fine.”
-----
She and Jessica had arranged to meet at the Amuse Me Centre at 10.30pm.
-----
Ms Small told the inquest she recalled seeing Jessica out the front of the centre some time between 7pm and 9pm and spoke to her for about 10 minutes, but when she went back later that night she couldn’t locate her. She wasn’t overly worried, as her friend said Jessica had gone up to the park.

“I went there twice to find her,” she said. “Sarah [a friend of Jessica’s] came up to me and said Jess had gone round to the park.
“I said I was exhausted and was going home and told her to tell Jess to catch a cab to my place and I would pay for it.”

Solicitor Bill de Mars asked if what had happened on that night now plays on her mind.
“I should have waited. I should have walked up to the park,” Ms Small said. “I feel very responsible.”

In hindsight, it must be very difficult to cope with the events as they turned out. I feel for Jessica's family and friends.

Jessica's disappearance is no ones fault but the horrid dreadful person who took her away and left her family distraught and devastated.

Was this the last day of the Inquest?

Coroner to hand down findings on Jessica Small case
ABC News. Read More:

After almost three weeks of hearings over a period of nine months, the Deputy State Coroner Sharon Freund will hand down her findings into the disappearance of 15 year old Jessica Small this afternoon.
-----
Submissions have confirmed two persons of interest remain in the case, however there is insufficient evidence to link them with her abduction and murder.
-----

A very sad conclusion for a young life taken.
I hope one day they find the missing pieces to this puzzle.
Moreso, I hope one day they find Jessica.
:rose:

Western Advocate. Read More:

Family wants police to learn from Jessica's case

Solicitor representing the Small family, Bill de Mars, yesterday made submissions to the inquest, saying the family was keen to see Ms Freund’s findings document the peril that may flow from an inadequate early police investigation, as was the case with the disappearance of Jessica Small in October 1997.
-----
“The reality is the Small family may never know Jessica’s precise fate, and when one takes stock of what this means for Ricki and her family, it is not unreasonable they might take some small solace from at least having some of the key deficiencies in the original investigation documented by your honour.”

Just wanting to also add - from the ABC News Article:

The coroner has been asked to make a recommendation that a significant reward is offered by the NSW state government for information leading to the conviction of any persons for the abduction and murder of Jessica Small, a request also made by the lawyer representing her family.

I hope a reward will be granted for this case.
It may help bring some information out of the woodwork.
I know its 17 years ago - but a large reward would be a big incentive to jolt someones memory.

More on the call for a reward -

[ABC News. Article 2 - Read More:

Senior detective calls for $500,000 reward for information about the disappearance of Bathurst teenager Jessica Small

The homicide squad officer heading the investigation into the disappearance of a Bathurst teenager has told an inquest a reward of at least $500,000 should be offered to help solve the case.
-----
Detective Sergeant Smith said if Jessica Small went missing tomorrow under the same circumstances as 1997, that procedure would be enacted.
-----
The Coroner thanked Detective Sergeant Peter Smith from the Homicide Squad on Thursday his team's investigations since taking over the matter in 2007.
That was echoed by the teenager's mother Ricki Small, who said if Jessica had been there she would have thanked him for his diligence.
-----

Double that $500,000 reward - and make it $1 million.
If any case deserves the extra incentive, it is this one.

They might follow South Australia's lead with their package of 13 - $1mil rewards for Cold Cases of the Missing.
Read More:
SA Police offer $1 million rewards for 13 child murder cases

Adding a piece of the inquest from the hearing on Thursday - prior to the recommendations above:

ABC News. Article 3 - Read More:
In 1997 David Whyms was the partner of Rebecca Small.
Via Audio Visual Link into Bathurst courthouse yesterday he was asked whether he had heard that Jessica Small was kidnapped because he owed someone money.
Mr Whyms replied "that's rubbish".
Mr Whyms also denied knowing or supplying drugs to a woman whose body was found in a creek near Lithgow around 1992.

5500934-3x2-340x227.jpg

Pic: ABC - Ricki Small (mother) and Rebecca Small (sister) leaving Bathurst Court House.

Thanks for the update Tootsie :)

Magistrate Sharon Freund handed down her findings this afternoon following a three-week inquest into Jessica's abduction and presumed murder.

She heavily criticised Bathurst police involved with the initial investigation and could only offer an open finding in the case "that Jessica Beth Small died on or after the 26th of October 1997".

"Her death is suspicious and I am satisfied that she died at the hands of a person or persons unknown," Ms Freund found.

"I refer the matter back to the Unsolved Homicide Squad."
-----
Ms Freund also recommended that a reward of at $500,000 be offered for information leading to the conviction of anyone in relation to the abduction and murder of Jessica Small...

ABC News Read More:
Coroner says 'inadequate' investigation failed to solve case of murdered teenager Jessica Small
Jessica's mother Ricky Small says she now has some closure.

"I'm pleased with the announcement of the reward, but at this point I'd like to have some privacy," she said.

60 Minutes to tell the 'incredible' story of Jessica Small

"THE mystery surrounding Jessica Small’s disappearance has captured the attention of respected current affairs program, 60 Minutes, which will tomorrow night tell the story of the missing 15-year-old’s abduction and murder.

Jessica Beth Small was last seen in the early hours of October 26, 1997, after she and Vanessa Conlan accepted a lift from a man driving a white Commodore"

Read More:
http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/s...the-incredible-story-of-jessica-small/?cs=119

Special report: Grieving mother’s pain is still raw

"AFTER 17 years, the mother of missing Bathurst teenager Jessica Small says she feels she has achieved a sense of justice for her daughter.

Ricki Small fought tirelessly for years on behalf of her daughter, saying early on that police had bungled the case and calling for the investigation to be finalised"

Read more:
http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/s...rt-grieving-mothers-pain-is-still-raw/?cs=115

From Tootsies quote above...

Western Advocate

She described Jessica Beth Small as a bright, fun-loving, outspoken and tenacious 15-year-old.

Ms Freund found evidence given by Vanessa Conlan, whose version of events was not believed by police in 1997, was “consistent throughout”, adding she “found her to be a forthright, compelling and honest witness” and a “witness of truth”.

Ms Freund also spoke about the serious inadequacies of the initial investigation and, while commending NSW Police for its concession on the opening day of proceedings, said to gloss over the ramifications of such a poor investigation would not be fair to Jessica, her family, Vanessa Conlan, the police who later properly investigated Jessica’s disappearance or the community at large.

She said there were many lessons to be learnt.
-----

Ms Freund also found there was no direct evidence linking the two persons of interest – Andrew McBride and Craig Gregory Robertson – to Jessica’s disappearance, but said there was no evidence to eliminate them either.

Thanks for the heads-up fellow sleuthers on the 60 Minutes Program.
I hope they make it available to view online.
It looks as if it is going to be very good.

Western Advocate 14th June 2014
“They are all really powerful interviews, they are difficult to switch off from,” she said.
“Most stories are one segment and a big story is two. But, we watched it the other day and we felt there was no way it could be cut, it’s such compelling television, we decided to make it three segments, which shows the significance of the story.”

Ms Langdon called Jessica’s mother Ricki stoic, and said she hoped the process brings closure for her.

“I think she accepts no-one is going to pay for this, and that is heart-breaking,” she said.

The segment airs tomorrow night at 8pm on WIN.

I am watching 60 minutes now. I taped it so I could skip the ads. It is VERY thorough.

The last ever witness to hear Jessica scream went to the police and was brushed off. He went back the next day and finally got someone to take his statement and they took one paragraph. He said he thinks police had made up their mind because Jessica was from the 'wrong side of the tracks'.

Her poor mother is so strong in the interview.

There was an article about this case in the Daily Mail today so it made sense to see if there was a discussion here. I would not trust all the DM says, and it would surely be better to be raising awareness in NSW than the UK, but at least she is remembered and who knows if the case cannot be solved. It is certainly shocking how the girl who was also involved was not believed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-abducted-17-years-ago-accepting-ride-strang

There was an article about this case in the Daily Mail today so it made sense to see if there was a discussion here. I would not trust all the DM says, and it would surely be better to be raising awareness in NSW than the UK, but at least she is remembered and who knows if the case cannot be solved. It is certainly shocking how the girl who was also involved was not believed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-abducted-17-years-ago-accepting-ride-strang

Thanks Jacalyn. Glad that the DM picked up the story.
From the link above:

Detective Sergeant Peter Smith from the NSW Homicide Squad took on the cold case in 2007.
'It doesn't make sense that this girl would run screaming and obviously terrified to a person's house in the middle of the night, and then to have people not believe her, it just doesn't make sense,' Mr Smith told Channel Nine's 60 Minutes in an interview on Sunday night.
'Given especially now, 16, 17 years has passed and she's maintained the same story and it's corroborated over and over and over again. It's just so obvious that she is just telling the truth.'

60 Minute Program Video interview with Rob Fitzpatriick:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2658452/Teenage-girl-abducted-17-years-ago-accepting-ride-stranger-likely-murdered-Inquest-breaths-new-life-one-Australias-perplexing-cold-cases.html#v-3623628752001

article-2658452-1EC94BAA00000578-778_634x356.jpg

Eight months after Jessica vanished, two forestry workers found a pair of girl's underwear, a bottle of bleach and a blanket covered in blood in bushland 75km east of Bathurst

Police did not interview the person who found the items and the potential evidence wasn't DNA tested. It was later destroyed by local police.
Jessica's mother, Ricki Small, wasn't told and said she still feels let down by the police.
'I would've been in the forest scratching the dirt, looking for her, physically,' Ms Small told 60 Minutes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back