GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this article it mentions he had black leather gloves.
It wasn't a gun, he had his black leather gloves ready?

Black leather gloves, taser gun are also possible - as the video is not all that clear; IMO it looks like a gun all the same.

Ok chaps, back from the walk. Wow. SO MANY PEOPLE! Men, women, couples, families with kids and dogs, old, young. everyone was there, many with flowers. At first the police blocked off the left hand of Sydney Rd going south (don't forget, we drive on the left here) but after a few blocks it became evident that that wasn't enough so the just let the walk take over the whole street, and they had officers and cars blocking each of the access roads (ie Blyth, Victoria, etc).

I took some photos with my phone but the one Marly posted above pretty much shows the scene. It was quiet, no singing or drums or chants. Just people chatting about it and stopping at Hope St corner, Duchess bridal shop, Bar Etiquette and so on. The mood was quite positive but there was a lot of "I'd never walk further back than Sydney Rd at night" type comments.

I noted another kebab shop two doors up (north) from Alaysia, so maybe that's where Dan Gregson said he was when he hadn't noticed Jill walk past?

Ok chaps, back from the walk. Wow. SO MANY PEOPLE! Men, women, couples, families with kids and dogs, old, young. everyone was there, many with flowers. At first the police blocked off the left hand of Sydney Rd going south (don't forget, we drive on the left here) but after a few blocks it became evident that that wasn't enough so the just let the walk take over the whole street, and they had officers and cars blocking each of the access roads (ie Blyth, Victoria, etc).

I took some photos with my phone but the one Marly posted above pretty much shows the scene. It was quiet, no singing or drums or chants. Just people chatting about it and stopping at Hope St corner, Duchess bridal shop, Bar Etiquette and so on. The mood was quite positive but there was a lot of "I'd never walk further back than Sydney Rd at night" type comments.

I noted another kebab shop two doors up (north) from Alaysia, so maybe that's where Dan Gregson said he was when he hadn't noticed Jill walk past?

Thankyou pudd for taking the time to go & also for your first hand report...much appreciated!!

Wow. That photo is so powerful.

If you remove the SIM card from the phone the call will go straight to voicemail. Similar to if the phone is turned off.
The article says they will allege he removed the card sometime after. He may not have done so until 8am, when Tom's calls started going to VM rather than ringing out. If he just removed the card but didn't switch phone off, this would have enabled the phone carrier to trace it's locations through the GPS feature that most smartphones have.
JMO

Couple of things.

First, I understand the need to be cautious but the facts of the case are not in dispute. Ms Meagher was abducted, raped and murdered. There is no need to write "alleged" before the crime. There is, however, a requirement to write "alleged" before the name of the accused. He is entitled to his day in court and the presumption of innocence until it is proven in a court of law that he is guilty.

Second, it is true that women should be able to go wherever they want, whenever they want without fear of attack but I think we don't live in that kind of world anymore. You used to be able to leave the front door unlocked. Now, you can't. You need to take precautions. That's the reality. Something we should all learn from this case. And, in my opinion, I think we dishonor Jill's memory not to learn from her death and to ensure that it never happens again.

Finally, I know people are curious to know how Jill died. I'm not. I think it is a sad indictment of our society if the most important thing we can say about a person is the nature of their death. It's life that matters. Not death. Honour Jill's life. Not her death!

Off my soapbox now! Cheers!

Ok I understand that, but I am however still putting allegedly before I write what he is ACCUSED of. As this is what I read in most of the articles. So I am being cautious and in NO way want to upset the mods, and definitely not jeopardize the case. Also, I'm in no way curious of how Jill died at all. I have stated previously in thread #3 that I believe we will never hear details of how she died or the autopsy results and I made it very clear that I was not interested in hearing any of these details whatsoever. Living in Victoria - I'm not going to hear a lot of the things that will be broadcasted on the news, like people in other states do and will.

Is it an Australian law that even after a case is over that details of the murder are not released? Just wondering. Of course we hear everything here in USA. Wondering why that would be kept secret; it is not a slur against a victim whatever was done to him or her by some predator and the predator should not be free of the public knowing exactly what savage acts he or she committed, in my opinion.

In my opinion, the victim's having had to suffer the acts it is a small price to pay for me having to be upset or uncomfortable hearing about them.

728667-jill-meagher.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...-rd-in-brunswick/story-e6frf7kx-1226484726240

When these sad and terrible events are reported in the media and then discussed at length on here, I search deep into my soul and ask "why?". Senseless, heartbreaking and futile. If there IS a "reason" for Jill being murdered then the photo above is it. United city, united in grief and power of people for this to never happen again. And for Allison - waste of a beautiful life, but let these not be a waste but instead a savior for potential victims of future crime and domestic violence. Don't direct our anger at the perps but instead use this powerful energy to power the voices of outrage and soldier on for prevention. Bit deep for Sunday but am midway thru 3000 word essay due tomorrow so am in the word groove.

In this article it mentions he had black leather gloves.

It wasn't a gun, he had his black leather gloves ready?

First, there is no way of knowing that it was the same person.

Second, the CCTV footage showed quite clearly that he DIDN'T have gloves on - at least when he was bothering Jill outside the Duchess Boutique.

And I'm still convinced that he did NOT have a gun - or a Taser. I'm sure that was just fringing artifact in those few frames, as somebody else pointed out. It can be seen throughout the video adjacent to bright objects. What he did to convince Jill to follow him I have no idea. Or maybe he'd gone off round the corner and Jill thought he'd gone - but he was waiting for her in the laneway off Hope St...

Hi guys,

Another new Melbournite here. I just wanted to quickly say a thank you to all of you. I've been lurking in this thread since the start, and being able to keep up with all of you was incredibly helpful, emotionally, in what felt like a scary and helpless time over the last week and a bit. I wasn't able to march today, but I am planning to take part in the "Reclaim the Night" October march.

Looking forward to being a bit more active from now.

Thanks again!

Not trying to hijack the thread - but regarding the discussion on personal alarms.

This happened in broad daylight yesterday in a busy suburb of Brisbane. To a group of 3 teenage girls...imagine how brazen he must have been.

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2012/09/30/armed-robbery-chermside-4/

Please buy your kids a personal alarm. I have 2 teenage sons who walk home from school (15 mins) and we live in inner city Brisbane. I have purchased one of the keyring ones for each of them (the ones that look like a car remote), and it hangs from their mobiles. As all parents know those phones are always in their hands!

Under close watch I bet. Oh, I feel somewhat "left out" living in Victoria :confused:. I should stop looking on google for news articles. Anyway there's no sun here and I'm on bed rest :( enjoy your caffeine hit!

Stunning day today in Sydney but every second car is covered in blue and white. Take it easy FT and look after that precious little one :)

When these sad and terrible events are reported in the media and then discussed at length on here, I search deep into my soul and ask "why?". Senseless, heartbreaking and futile. If there IS a "reason" for Jill being murdered then the photo above is it. United city, united in grief and power of people for this to never happen again. And for Allison - waste of a beautiful life, but let these not be a waste but instead a savior for potential victims of future crime and domestic violence. Don't direct our anger at the perps but instead use this powerful energy to power the voices of outrage and soldier on for prevention. Bit deep for Sunday but am midway thru 3000 word essay due tomorrow so am in the word groove.

Thank you for this and I get what you're saying, felt similar that JM's legacy will be a huge one, and without doubt will save others by making people more aware of 'stranger danger'.
Got an essay here too.

Not trying to hijack the thread - but regarding the discussion on personal alarms.

This happened in broad daylight yesterday in a busy suburb of Brisbane. To a group of 3 teenage girls...imagine how brazen he must have been.

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2012/09/30/armed-robbery-chermside-4/

Please buy your kids a personal alarm. I have 2 teenage sons who walk home from school (15 mins) and we live in inner city Brisbane. I have purchased one of the keyring ones for each of them (the ones that look like a car remote), and it hangs from their mobiles. As all parents know those phones are always in their hands!

Never a truer word! Not just teenage sons either.

First, there is no way of knowing that it was the same person.

Second, the CCTV footage showed quite clearly that he DIDN'T have gloves on - at least when he was bothering Jill outside the Duchess Boutique.

And I'm still convinced that he did NOT have a gun - or a Taser. I'm sure that was just fringing artifact in those few frames, as somebody else pointed out. It can be seen throughout the video adjacent to bright objects. What he did to convince Jill to follow him I have no idea. Or maybe he'd gone off round the corner and Jill thought he'd gone - but he was waiting for her in the laneway off Hope St...

My feeling is, that if Jill thought he had gone, she would have stayed on Sydney Rd and called her brother back, or her husband, rather than venture down a side street by herself, after a scary encounter. How would AB know that she would turn down Hope Street so that he could lie in wait for her?

It's a mystery how he managed to get her away - it didn't appear to me that he had gained her confidence, but who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member