Australia - JS, 32 y.o. man, charged w/ murder of 9 y.o. girl , Mt Wilson, 13 January 2022 #2

JS next Court case is Wed 4th May (Mention, Police), at Central Court, Sydney - looks like it is for breaching his parole. Then his next Court case is 20th May (Brief Status), at Penrith Local Court - according to NSW Court Lists.

And IIRC, she was taken there Tuesday afternoon. It was a 2 and a half hour drive. So it seems that mom would know they wouldn't be back that first night?

It's around 60km, and probably closer to a one-hour drive. The Daily Mail, which seems to have been present at the site where CM's body was found, calls it a "one hour drive from Mt Wilson to the Colo River," and from there it's only another 13km (ish) east to the caravan park.

Detectives waiting to speak to 'hard to approach' mother of schoolgirl killed in Blue Mountains | Daily Mail Online

There's a map here showing the major sites in relation to one another (see the three locations at the top of the map):

https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...d/news-story/25fa472953531f40845e28400caf9e31

Apart from the 13km of winding road to the caravan park, the road from Mt Wilson to the Colo River area is good, and the speed limit is 60km.

So she definitely could have been driven there and back in a day. I'm as perplexed as you about how this could have played out, but hypothetically JS could have offered to take CM to see Wildenstein in the afternoon so KM could have a nap or something, and promised to have her home by bed-time, or even sooner. He could then have called or texted KM and made some excuse about how CM was tired and wanted to stay the night.

Again, this is totally hypothetical, just to underscore the fact that we don't know whether KM was actually releasing her daughter to the care of this man overnight.

So she definitely could have been driven there and back in a day. I'm as perplexed as you about how this could have played out, but hypothetically JS could have offered to take CM to see Wildenstein in the afternoon so KM could have a nap or something, and promised to have her home by bed-time, or even sooner. He could then have called or texted KM and made some excuse about how CM was tired and wanted to stay the night.
I can see this happening.

Late this afternoon I had another look on the Lawlink site, and 2 new charges have appeared, to be heard in Court tomorrow. Let's hope this means that the LE have found the missing links they were looking for.

20 May9:30 am2022/00015443R v JSCriminalLocal CourtBrief Status (Committal)
  • Magistrate D O'Neil
PenrithPenrith
Court 4 Penrith
-
20 May9:30 am2022/00144641R v JSCriminalLocal CourtMention (Police)
  • Magistrate D O'Neil
PenrithPenrith
Court 4 Penrith
-
20 May9:30 am2022/00144639R v JSCriminalLocal CourtMention (Police)
  • Magistrate D O'Neil
PenrithPenrith
Court 4 Penrith
-

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Bombshell development in the case of schoolgirl CM who was allegedly shot dead and dumped in a barrel by her stepdad as he is charged with possessing child abuse material and a gun

So, they have found some firearms. That is hopeful.

"The fresh charges relate to two firearms and ammunition found by police in bushland near Mt Wilson on February 3."

And, separately, there is something about child abuse material. Which is not good to hear.

"Two counts of possess child abuse material were for unrelated matters, police said on Thursday."

Last edited:
New South Wales police charged him with possessing an unauthorised and unregistered firearm, possessing ammunition without a licence and aggravated break and enter in company at Silverwater correctional facility yesterday.
The 31-year-old was also charged with possessing child abuse material which is linked to unrelated matters.

Man accused of nine-year-old's murder hit with fresh charges

This DT article says that the police found the firearms and ammunition while searching 'an area' of bushland near Mt Wilson in February.
They had the items forensically examined before they went and laid the firearm related charges on JS yesterday.

Presumably his DNA/fingerprints were on the firearms and ammunition? And were these stolen from somewhere when he was with somebody else, seeing that he has been charged with B&E In Company? If so, that means there is a witness to him obtaining the firearms.

Last edited:
It would seem that the firearms and ammunition found were probably not related to CM's murder. The DM article states the current firearms and ammunition were found on February 3. However, Police were still searching for the firearm on March 18 in the SMH article.

I have counted 7 new offences in the ABC news article, yet JS so far has only been charged with an extra 2.
The matters will now be heard in July 2022.

"On Thursday, officers visited JS at Silverwater Jail, before charging him with two counts of possessing an unregistered firearm, two counts of possessing an unauthorised firearm, possessing ammunition without a licence and committing an aggravated break and enter in company.
He was also charged with possessing child abuse material, unrelated to the murder investigation."

ABC news article

Daily Mail article

Sydney Morning Herald

By Sally Rawsthorne

March 18, 2022
"Forensic testing shows that CM, who lived with her grandmother in Coolangatta, was most likely shot with a small-calibre firearm. Police have searched Wildenstein, JS’s lavish family estate, but have yet to locate the alleged murder weapon."
Sydney Morning Herald article

It would seem that the firearms and ammunition found were probably not related to CM's murder. The DM article states the current firearms and ammunition were found on February 3. However, Police were still searching for the firearm on March 18 in the SMH article.

I have counted 7 new offences in the ABC news article, yet JS so far has only been charged with an extra 2.
The matters will now be heard in July 2022.

"On Thursday, officers visited JS at Silverwater Jail, before charging him with two counts of possessing an unregistered firearm, two counts of possessing an unauthorised firearm, possessing ammunition without a licence and committing an aggravated break and enter in company.
He was also charged with possessing child abuse material, unrelated to the murder investigation."

ABC news article

Daily Mail article

Sydney Morning Herald

By Sally Rawsthorne

March 18, 2022
"Forensic testing shows that CM, who lived with her grandmother in Coolangatta, was most likely shot with a small-calibre firearm. Police have searched Wildenstein, JS’s lavish family estate, but have yet to locate the alleged murder weapon."
Sydney Morning Herald article
I disagree with your inference that the weapons are probably unrelated to CM. SMH could not report what they didn't know. It's doubtful they would know about the weapons before forensics were complete and charges laid.

What do you mean he's so far only been charged with another two? Two listings doesn't mean only two charges.

I disagree with your inference that the weapons are probably unrelated to CM. SMH could not report what they didn't know. It's doubtful they would know about the weapons before forensics were complete and charges laid.

What do you mean he's so far only been charged with another two? Two listings doesn't mean only two charges.
I guess we will just have to wait and see then, the matters will be in Court in July, so not long to wait.

Latest update:-

Police do not believe the shotgun and rifle were used to kill the Tweed Heads schoolgirl despite confirming she died from a single gunshot wound.
JS has also been charged with two counts of possessing child abuse material, which investigators say is not related to the death of the nine-year-old girl.

He did not front Penrith Court today when the prosecutor indicated that 120 items of "significant" new evidence had been seized, including from his electronic devices.

Court documents allege he did "possess … videos that depicted material in a manner that would in all circumstances cause offence to reasonable persons and is a person who is a child in a sexual context".

Lawyer Peter Katsoulis was unable to attend court because he is isolating at home after contracting COVID-19, but appeared on screen before a magistrate.

"We were served further material yesterday — both parties will need time to digest this material," he said.

"There is still some significant outstanding material that remains significant."

CMwas first reported missing by her mother while they were on holiday at JS's family home in Mt Wilson.

Court documents allege JS stole the two guns from a neighbouring home of the property in August last year and is also charged with one count of aggravated break and enter.

A silver serving plate, an electric blanket, a silver gravy boat, knives, forks, binoculars and a silver lighter were among the other items stolen by JS, who "was in company of another person", court documents allege.

ABC news article

I think what Marg944 means is simply that the firearms retrieved by police on Feb 3 were not the murder weapon.

I do wonder (a) why/how the police found those firearms and whether they were actually looking for them (could it have had something to do with the dispute with the neighbour?), and why they waited so long to press charges. If they'd pressed charges within the week, CS may not have been killed.

The possession of child abuse material, though not specifically related to CS, is terrible news because of its implications. I was really hoping (probably too optimistically) that wouldn't have been a factor.

I think what Marg944 means is simply that the firearms retrieved by police on Feb 3 were not the murder weapon.

I do wonder (a) why/how the police found those firearms and whether they were actually looking for them (could it have had something to do with the dispute with the neighbour?), and why they waited so long to press charges. If they'd pressed charges within the week, CS may not have been killed.

The possession of child abuse material, though not specifically related to CS, is terrible news because of its implications. I was really hoping (probably too optimistically) that wouldn't have been a factor.
Marg was right and I'm glad we didn't have to wait for July. I thought of the neighbour-dispute too. But that might be attributing more coherence than he possesses.

Marg was right and I'm glad we didn't have to wait for July. I thought of the neighbour-dispute too. But that might be attributing more coherence than he possesses.
The neighbour dispute involving firearms was way back in 2014 - between JS's father and the neighbour, so too long ago to link to this. IMO But ironically it was the same neighbour who reported seeing a car leaving JS's parents property on the morning of 14th Jan with no headlights on.

The neighbour dispute involving firearms was way back in 2014 - between JS's father and the neighbour, so too long ago to link to this. IMO But ironically it was the same neighbour who reported seeing a car leaving JS's parents property on the morning of 14th Jan with no headlights on.

Thanks JLZ. I couldn't remember if the feud was an ongoing thing. I knew the neighbours had taken out an apprehended violence order against JS, but I (wrongly) thought it was more recent.

Thanks JLZ. I couldn't remember if the feud was an ongoing thing. I knew the neighbours had taken out an apprehended violence order against JS, but I (wrongly) thought it was more recent.
(That was Marg.) I don't know if the passage of time would have erased the enmity. I couldn't guess what was going on in JS's sketch of a mind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back