Australia Australia - Juanita Nielsen, 37, Kings Cross, NSW, 4 July 1975

Reaction score
Juanita Nielsen disappeared from her Kings Cross apartment in early June 1975, on the way to a business appointment. While her body has never been found, it is widely believed that she was murdered, due to her opposition to proposed building developments in Kings Cross:

http://www.milesago.com/features/nielsen.htm

I've always been interested in this case, I used to live just around the corner from her little house .. didn't this get semi-solved .. http://www.theage.com.au/national/saffrons-son-spills-beans-on-nielsen-killing-20080726-3ler.html I'm not sure if I believe everything the son of Saffron says however ..

juanitanielsen.jpg

On Sunday night at fashionable Dulcie's in Kings Cross, a new generation of bohemians will be sipping cocktails named in honour of flamboyant Potts Point hell-raiser and heritage activist Juanita Nielsen.

Saturday marks the 45th anniversary of Nielsen's mysterious disappearance from Sydney's streets, which has gone on to become one of this town's most chilling and unsolved suspected murder cases ever.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/cu...ml?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

The haunting mystery of Juanita Nielsen

It's a mystery that still haunts Canberra journalist and author Peter Rees - the disappearance and presumed murder of Sydney heiress and anti-development campaigner Juanita Nielsen.

Nielsen disappeared from Kings Cross on the morning of July 4, 1975. She published the independent newspaper NOW, which campaigned against the demolition of historic terraces in her street in Potts Point, but also supported the broader union green bans, which sought to preserve older parts of Sydney and protect them from redevelopment.

Her body has never been found and while two men were convicted of conspiring to kidnap her, no one was ever brought to justice for her presumed death.

Rees wrote about the case in his 2004 book Killing Juanita, forcing a federal parliamentary inquiry and a secret reopening of the case by NSW Police. One of the bombshell findings he made was that the highest level of the police force thwarted the investigation into her disappearance.

Last week, a major Australian film director (who we aren't allowed to name yet) visited Rees at his Narrabundah home to interview him for a documentary being made about Nielsen. It's expected to air on the ABC later this year.

Rees said the filmmaker wanted to create a whole picture of Nielsen and was keen to talk with her friends for the documentary.

If you are one of Juanita Nielsen's school friends or knew her in any way, please contact Peter Rees via peterees@netspeed.com.au.

Last edited:
DBM

Story is no longer there. Gets a Page Not Found

Last edited:
Why police have offered a $1 million reward over Juanita Nielsen's disappearance

The NSW government has announced a $1 million reward for information surrounding the 1975 disappearance and suspected murder of Juanita Nielsen.

The high-profile journalist and anti-development campaigner was last seen at a nightclub in Kings Cross. Her remains have never been found.

Almost 50 years on, why is the case still so important?

Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty said detectives would explore every line of inquiry.

"After nearly half a century of searching for answers, police hope to locate Juanita, so her family may put her to rest," he said.

In the 1990s, the Wood Royal Commission uncovered widespread corruption at Kings Cross police station, finding senior officers in the Criminal Investigation Branch were involved in drug trafficking, money laundering and destruction of evidence.

The Kings Cross detectives took regular payments from crime figures, a practice referred to as "the laugh".

Thirty years on, police want to demonstrate that things have changed.

And to lay to rest the perception that Juanita Nielsen's disappearance was never properly investigated.

June 21 2021
Million-dollar reward offered in cold case disappearance of heiress
1624229705-20210621001551306117-original-48x27.jpg
1624229705-20210621001551306117-original-960x540.jpg

Despite the publicity around her disappearance the body of Juanita Nielsen has never been found. Photo: AAP

''The reward for information about the disappearance and suspected murder of Sydney heiress Juanita Nielsen 46 years ago has been doubled to $1 million.

The 38-year-old owned alternative newspaper NOW, which she used to campaign against developers to protect heritage buildings in Potts Point and promote the Builders Labourers Federation controversial green bans during the 1970s.

Ms Nielsen was last seen at the Carousel Cabaret at Kings Cross on the morning of July 4, 1975 – a nightclub run by an associate of notorious underworld crime boss Abe Saffron.

It’s widely speculated she was kidnapped and murdered because of her anti-development and anti-corruption campaigns.''

''After more than four decades of heartbreak, her family just wants to give her a proper burial.''

Didn't that secretary come forward years later saying she saw Juanita's body lying on the floor.

She was then too afraid to talk about it with anyone because of the people involved.

PRESENTS — Unravel Juanita

Audio 4 mins 22 sec

We wanted to share this special preview of the new ABC Unravel True Crime podcast series.

In 1975, Australia was transfixed by the disappearance of Juanita Nielsen. Juanita was a journalist, fashion model, socialite and Sydney’s most famous anti-gentrification activist.

Forty-six years later, Unravel: Juanita looks into her suspected murder — who might have killed her and why? What made Juanita a target?

The victim had a white mark on her forehead when she died. Fifty years later, Kaye can't get it out of her mind

I saw this article yesterday about another death they believe is linked to the Juanita case. Esther George was a 23 year old Aboriginal woman who perished in a fire on Victoria Street on 6th September 1973.

I’m looking forward to the podcast. Sounds very interesting. There seems to be a few common names and circumstances involved in both the Victoria Street cases and the Luna Park Ghost Train fire. I’m not sure if the police have officially linked them or if they don’t have the evidence to do so. Do you know if they have @TootsieFootsie?

Thanks for the other article, Loxoli.

This is the first time I've heard that other cases might be linked. I wonder if the podcast will go into that.

I didn't think after all this time that there would be a podcast. I'm looking forward to it too.

Thanks for the other article, Loxoli.

This is the first time I've heard that other cases might be linked. I wonder if the podcast will go into that.

I didn't think after all this time that there would be a podcast. I'm looking forward to it too.

Ghost Train fire inquiry was led by corrupt officer who deleted evidence for criminals, say former police

Juanita Nielsen: $1m reward offered for information into 1975 disappearance of Sydney heiress

King of the Cross: Sydney crime boss Abe Saffron’s secret friends and properties

*Possible spoiler alert for podcast content*

I have not delved into this closely yet, but at first glance the most obvious connection is Abe Saffron. The ABC Exposed documentary series directly implicated Abe Saffron in the Luna Park Ghost Train fire (ABC article). Juanita Nielsen was last seen at the Carousel night club owned by Abe Saffron and was actively campaigning against development and corruption (Guardian article), which Abe Saffron was a major player in. Then there is the link to arson. Esther George was killed in a suspicious fire on Victoria Street, the very street Juanita Nielsen lived in and campaigned against the development of (ABC article linked in my previous post). Six of Abe Saffron's premises were subsequently destroyed by fire in the two years following the Luna Park fire (SMH article).

Since both the Exposed series and the Juanita podcast are produced by ABC News, I would imagine they are going to talk about the links between all the cases in the podcast. I'm already hooked and looking forward to finding out more. Looks like the first two episodes are already up :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChucksChickTiff
Back