Australia Australia - Kathleen Riethmuller, 28, backpack found with personal items, Sydney, 28 Oct 2021

A missing Sydney woman’s Gumtree ads have mysteriously disappeared weeks after she vanished from Sydney’s north.

Kathleen Riethmuller, 28, listed some of her belongings for sale in the week before she disappeared.

A Sydney-based Gumtree account set up with her name listed various homewares for sale between October 20 and October 22, worth a total of $410.

The items for sale included a yoga mat, a vintage room divider, a lamp, an easel and a framed mosaic picture.

Police are understood to be looking into why she attempted to sell some of her items before she disappeared.

The advert, however, has since vanished and her profile wiped clean.

Mysterious twist in missing woman’s case

Hey Everyone.

Thank you for continuing to follow this case.

Nothing new can be reported about Kathleen's disappearance.

If anyone has any ideas on what we can do here online, please throw out your ideas. Pass on anything to Chatswood Police Sydney, or online at crimestopper.com.au

Please share on social media in hopes more people can come forward with information.

Help FIND Kathleen Riethmuller

A missing Sydney woman’s Gumtree ads have mysteriously disappeared weeks after she vanished from Sydney’s north.

Kathleen Riethmuller, 28, listed some of her belongings for sale in the week before she disappeared.

A Sydney-based Gumtree account set up with her name listed various homewares for sale between October 20 and October 22, worth a total of $410.

The items for sale included a yoga mat, a vintage room divider, a lamp, an easel and a framed mosaic picture.

Police are understood to be looking into why she attempted to sell some of her items before she disappeared.

The advert, however, has since vanished and her profile wiped clean.

Mysterious twist in missing woman’s case

Unfortunately these items were removed due to Gumtree's 30 day inactive ad policy.

Ms Riethmuller had been living in Sydney at the kings street unit for 6 months prior to her dissappearance; from may 2021.

She is known to have checked in to the Elephant Backpackers immediately prior to heading to Bunnings. The manager noted she appeared “jittery and twitchy” at the time of check-in and she apparently did not enter the room she had just checked into.

It is important to note for those discussing the vehicle she is seen closing the passenger door on, none of the publicly available images show her EXITING the passenger side, only closing the passenger side door. This is an important distinction to make as it leaves open the possibility given the timespan she was living in Sydney and no further public disclosures surrounding the vehicle that it is in fact her own. Please note she is not wearing her bag in this image, but is wearing it in subsequent images taken in and around bunnings.

It is further essential to note that whilst two persons did come forward in the facebook comments these are unconfirmed sightings. That these sightings have not made their way into subsequent updates by police suggests they remain unconfirmed by police or have been excluded. Caution should therefore be used when incorporating them into any investigation or narrative.

Updated last sighting: (after North Sydney)
She was last captured on CCTV 15 minutes later walking eastbound on the northside of Falcon St towards Neutral Bay.

Also an update on where her phone was found:
While police had initially reported her phone was found in the backpack, the AFP website states it was discovered separately in Lane Cove North.

“It’s taken us aback that she has disappeared, and it’s deeply distressing for us to not know where she is,” she (mum) said.

She did have some troubles at that time, in terms of her mental health, which may have something to do with why she disappeared.

How fitness enthusiast feared dead after mysteriously vanishing in Sydney could be ALIVE and living under an entirely new identity 1,700km from home - as police launch appeal​

NSW Police have revealed a woman who went missing from Sydney in October last year may still be alive and living in Melbourne.

In a press conference on Monday, Deputy Premier and Minister Police Paul Toole said police believe Ms Riethmuller may have travelled to Melbourne for employment opportunities.

Mr Toole called on the public to help find Ms Riethmuller to ensure she is safe as authorities have not managed to contact her.

“The ripple effect that occurs when a person goes missing for no reason or without a trace should not be underestimated,” he said.

“Police are committed to finding Kathleen to provide answers to her family and those who knew her, but they need the public’s help.”

Ms Riethmuller, who is also known by the names of Amy Munroe, Kate Riethmuller, Margret Riethmuller and Kate Muller, is described as caucasian in appearance, with a thinly built frame with long dark hair.
*Why so many aliases?

If the person is Kathleen then she has to be surviving somehow. I mean she has been missing from Oct.28, 2021. That's a long time. Hopefully it is her and perhaps she wanted to get away from someone, perhaps a bad relarionship, IDK, all MOO. Hope her family and friends get some answers. I wonder why she didn't go back to her hostel that night? Maybe by that point she had figured out what she was going to do in her next steps to survive somewhere else leaving this life behind? I hope so.

If it is her I wonder if she misses her old life at all? Possibly not if the fear was so great. But LE should make certain its her fully as in seeing her and see that she is not in any danger then convey this to her family. If it is her than she really wanted to leave as her ID's and credit card were in her backpack. Anyone can steal them and damage her profile. So she wanted another life for some reason I guess, sadly, maybe not for her though. Hopefully it is her. Again if it is her it was a desperate attempt to get away from her old life and begin new so it is extremely important for LE and others who care about her to understand what she was/is fearing and help keep or be safe.

I do not know Kathleen and I am not attempting to diagnose and judge her or upset anybody who knows, loves and misses her. That said, a mental illness and/or drug use would go a long way to explain her circumstances. This is just a thought, outside of her being victim to a crime, not my opinion. I hope Kathleen is living her life and I wish her well. Perhaps we'll get good news some day.

I do not know Kathleen and I am not attempting to diagnose and judge her or upset anybody who knows, loves and misses her. That said, a mental illness and/or drug use would go a long way to explain her circumstances. This is just a thought, outside of her being victim to a crime, not my opinion. I hope Kathleen is living her life and I wish her well. Perhaps we'll get good news some day.
I see your point. But at the same time if it was a drug issue or mental illness she wouldn't be able survive in a normal manner. Meaning she would be at the mercy of the homeless shelter system or someone who may exploit her. So it may be actual fear with relevance. I hope she is safe and living her life independantly.

I guess my first question is, who was she living with in the King Street unit? Was it a friend or partner? Did they have a messy breakup/fight which led to her booking the room at the hostel? That would possibly go some way toward explaining her "jittery" demeanour upon booking the room.

Has she subsequently decided to throw her life away on a whim and runaway to Melbourne in a heightened state?

I dunno, maybe I'm spitballing, but answering these questions (which I assume police have/are doing) would certainly fill in some gaps in Kathleen's story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back