Still Missing Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that he might not have a moral compass and wouldn't have cared if someone was abusing his daughters. jmo
It is often claimed some, if not all men, have 2 brains and you don't need to be Einstein to guess where the other one is located.

What is abundantly clear is, Chris and Paul spent a lot of their lives being guided by their small brains, the ones only capable of thoughts of sexual conquests and to hell with the consequences.

Joanne paints the picture of Paul being a master groomer of underage girls back in the day. While Chris, by comparison, was a relative novice.

Not sure how naive Marilyn, wife of Paul Dawson, was back then? But I bet she isn't overjoyed now when it simply isn't possible not to be aware of what her Paul got up to.

It is often claimed some, if not all men, have 2 brains and you don't need to be Einstein to guess where the other one is located.

What is abundantly clear is, Chris and Paul spent a lot of their lives being guided by their small brains, the ones only capable of thoughts of sexual conquests and to hell with the consequences.

Joanne paints the picture of Paul being a master groomer of underage girls back in the day. While Chris, by comparison, was a relative novice.

Not sure how naive Marilyn, wife of Paul Dawson, was back then? But I bet she isn't overjoyed now when it simply isn't possible not to be aware of what her Paul got up to.
I would bet money cliff that MD knows exactly what a stellar guy her beloved husband is and would have a fair idea where he has been.

IMO the public airing of their VERY dirty laundry (and it stinks bad) will be the issue in that household.

She is the twins enabler. And I WILL SUGGEST in my opinion she helped cover up Lyns murder....KNOWINGLY.

MOO

I would bet money cliff that MD knows exactly what a stellar guy her beloved husband is and would have a fair idea where he has been.

IMO the public airing of their VERY dirty laundry (and it stinks bad) will be the issue in that household.

She is the twins enabler. And I WILL SUGGEST in my opinion she helped cover up Lyns murder....KNOWINGLY.

MOO
amen, brother K-mac.... My hope may be thin but I can't let go of hoping that Marilyn Dawson is hauled up before the judge.. That use of Lynns bankcard, for starters, but her low level sniping of Lynn, how Lynn had beautiful clothes ( she designed and made them herself) how she had a job and qualifications, how lovely her brand new home was, her father lending them the money for it and so on.

(( this litany of moaning was in Hedley's podcast))

While Marilyn was able to have the babies , with no troubles, Lynn had to put science to work and it took time, and I bet Lynn got criticised for that , from Marilyn. And then Lynn has 2 lovely girls, more jealousy.

Good to see you again, Cliffie.

Apropos of your post there, wasn't there another girl ?? a prefect who was before Joanne? ..

Considering Chris's birthday gift to Paul, which comes round every year at the same time, it would be difficult to ignore as a comparison any other gift he may get for birthdays.. stacked up against a leaf blower , for example..!

It is surely a reflection on Australia that a 16 yr old student under the spell of a 34yr old teacher can be referred to as a 'mistress'. This is 1950's talk , I sent off a complaint to the Press Council about it, no doubt it will be sniggered about in the office around the water cooler, but really. One would think, having had Grace Tame really shove this concept backwards on the guilty party,for a whole year and longer now, that this would be a non starter to use this labelling.

Chris was a practised groomer, the evidence of that lies exposed in JC"s testimony.

Of course, once I pressed send, I realised that the AU Govt bestowed an AO on Bettina Arnt for running a whole program with Grace's abuser, who had all the freedom in the world to claim he was an object of jealousy, because of his capacity to use these young girls in his class .. ..so no doubt the sniggering will become loud laughter. Sometimes I loathe how things are in Australia. I'm allowed to say that, too.

So when I look at where Chris Dawson is coming from, and Paul, too, ... they are now looking back at social boundaries that were completely underground, but Chris will be judged on the social contracts of today. Which are, although miniscule in changed outlooks, there is the slight twinge of the unacceptable , and even then, when Chris and Paul were teachers, that situation (abuse )would have been a matter of ending a teaching contract.

It still surprises me, that they both retained their careers , although they moved to another state, and into the Catholic School System, which , considering all things, must have had a different outlook on this kind of thing. Someone had clout to get them out of NSW and into QLD schools.

BBM
It is amazing that. I guess the way the principal of the school was he probably gave them a good recommendation.
The Catholic School that they were teaching at didn't keep him once they knew the full story after the 2003 Inquest.

Looking for Lyn​

PROGRAM TRANSCRIPT: Monday, 4 August , 2003​

"Following this year's second inquest, Chris Dawson was stood down from his job in a Queensland girls' school and has since retired from teaching."

From ABC news 19/5/2022

Ms David then accused her of being on a mission to destroy Mr Dawson's character — a claim she strongly denied while breaking down.

"I'm not going to destroy him, he will destroy himself for what he has done to people, to me and to Lyn. I'm telling the truth."

Bravo JC - stay strong

...also from the ABC news 19/5/2022

"During cross-examination of JC, Mr Dawson's barrister Pauline David argued she had genuine affection for him during the "early stage of the 1980s" to which JC replied: "In the grooming stage, you mean?"
JC not mincing her words there!

Good to see you again, Cliffie.

Apropos of your post there, wasn't there another girl ?? a prefect who was before Joanne? ..

Considering Chris's birthday gift to Paul, which comes round every year at the same time, it would be difficult to ignore as a comparison any other gift he may get for birthdays.. stacked up against a leaf blower , for example..!
Correct, there was another student babysitter before Joanne. From memory Hedley interviewed her in one of the TTP podcasts. Seem too remember her being quite emotional.

Murder trial told Chris Dawson arranged to forge wife's signature on life insurance policy​

JC told his murder trial she overheard Mr Dawson, his twin brother Paul and Paul's wife Marilyn discuss the policy in 1982 and that Marilyn volunteered to forge Ms Dawson's signature.

"You suggested that at that time the objective was to cancel an insurance policy in relation to Lyn Dawson?," defence lawyer Pauline David put to JC.

"It was a policy that needed her signature in order to do whatever they wanted to do with it," she replied.

Ms David then argued JC was making up this evidence in order to create an impression Mr Dawson was doing something "nefarious".

"I just know what I heard and saw," she answered.

There you go Troops :mad:

The defence argument for everything is you're lying. You're saying this because you think he is guilty

"
Ms David then argued JC was making up this evidence in order to create an impression Mr Dawson was doing something "nefarious".

"I just know what I heard and saw," she answered."

"You made up a story about a hit man to stop from getting access to your daughter?" Ms David argued.

"That's ridiculous, I didn't make up this story, this is true," she responded.

Mr Dawson’s barrister Pauline David questioned whether JC was motivated to “make up” stories about her former husband for financial gain including through the sale of books and her lawsuit.

“I suggest you have every reason to make up stories such as the sex slave story,” Ms David said.

“I don’t have any reason to make up any story,” JC replied.

“And that you consider, by suggesting that Mr Dawson was some kind of crazy control freak, that you will increase the level of your damages,” Ms David said.

“That’s insulting,” JC replied.

Ms David put it to her she made the allegation: “As part of your mission to destroy Mr Dawson and his family.”

“No,” JC replied.

Defence barrister Ms David accused Ms Andrew of not putting in enough effort to find out where her "close friend" was.

"To my great regret and shame I did not," she said.

Ms Andrew told the court she was "frightened" of Mr Dawson as he had a "really unsettling manner" and, on occasion, she had seen bruises on Ms Dawson's arms.

Ms David accused Ms Andrew of coming to court to portray Mr Dawson in the "most monstrous" way possible, which she denied.

"I've come to tell the truth," she said.

Here suggesting a witness should have a presumption of witness. This is the jury/judge that needs that not a witness.

Questioned by defence barrister Pauline David, Ms Andrew agreed she had no presumption of innocence when it came to Dawson but claimed she was capable of putting any prejudice aside when giving her evidence.

Simply put...the judge will need to be "beyond reasonable doubt" that Lyn didn't run away.

Unfortunately, i feel that some of the evidence so far really does describe a situation that one may run away from...
...its kind of a double edge sword for the Prosecution...
...lots of evidence still to come though... it will be the layers of circumstances in the end that will be telling...ultimately showing "beyond reasonable doubt" that Lyn did not run away. MOO

Simply put...the judge will need to be "beyond reasonable doubt" that Lyn didn't run away.

Unfortunately, i feel that some of the evidence so far really does describe a situation that one may run away from...
...lots of evidence still to come though... it will be the layers of circumstances in the end that will be telling...ultimately showing "beyond reasonable doubt" that Lyn did not run away. MOO
I would think there needs to be evidence that she actually did run away, not just that her circumstances were such that a normal person might be expected to run away. We've already seen that L.D. put up with extraordinary things, including finding the babysitter in bed with her husband, and rather than react by distancing herself, she excused them away. And besides, why run away into total oblivion, when she had two little daughters to love?

Last edited:

It is a double edged sword, and one that Chris Dawson played to his advantage all those years.. there was always the undeniable story of Marilyn's ( I think ) mother ( Pauls mother in law ) who actually did run away to New Zealand. Then returned to AU and married again , to living somewhere up in the Hunter Valley, I think. I have to listen to Hedleys stuff again and time just wont allow me currently. But this mother in law was the basis for the Dawson story, a family story, part myth as family stories can be.

Now I remember that it was the older brothers mother in law, the one who did all the legal advice and work for the family, being a solicitor then, and now a barrister. It was HIS mother in law, and his story carried weight in the family, and it also carried a lot of influence among detectives, and police and influential rugby associates , where by Chris's story gained credibility. The Family Solicitor handled these doubts with great aplomb, after all, his own wife's s mother had 'run away'....

When the older brother did Chris's divorce , ( I still cannot quite understand how the property was deemed to Chris instead of the daughters , and that Lynn's father did not get his investment back, but, the older brother , wise to the law and how it can be steered) he carried the story of his mother in law into the court and laid the ground for Lynn's disappearance to be viewed in that same light. Successfully, as it turned out, divorce granted, property all of it handed over to Chris and off you go, poor chap.

All of that series of events have a lot of murkiness built in, .. it could be because the divorce law's that Chris was operating under were only 5 years old, no one was an expert, no-fault divorce (1975 ) and it could mean what a highly motivated solicitor wanted it to mean . Those laws certainly aided Chris in his run away story, his subsequent divorce , resolved in Lynn's absence, to his very great advantage.

Of course, when it came time for JC to leave, those same laws were a real discomfort to Chris yet again. His fury when he would have found that the divorce law in regards to Lynn would have stripped him of half of everything, for life, must have been a factor in his method of ending that marriage. JC was lucky to get out alive, in my opinion.

But he went on to end another marriage, ( and , I believe, currrently, a third ) .. all of which the divorce laws are still as implacable as they were back in 1981.......

An Aside. I was reminded of this by an ad that just came on, ABC re, 'The Family Court Murders' .... back in the day, 1975 1980 81 82 etc, men were extremely angry over the change in divorce laws in Australia, that is certain sorts of men. It did change society, women could instigate divorce, women could divorce men on 'a whim' .. ( no fault ) . . women could garnishee mens wages, and god help us all, women could actually be owners of half the family property.

Chris would have been advised of all this by his older brother, and , I conclude , this knowledge would have been a heavy factor in his decisions , and actions.

( The Family Court Murders is about a bloke who , infuriated by the courts orders in regard to his wife, his children and his home, took the position that the answer was to blow up certain judges of the newly incorporated Family Court, and this would teach judges a lesson . The perpetrator remained unknown for a very long time ) ..

I would think there needs to be evidence that she actually did run away, not just that her circumstances were such that a normal person might be expected to run away. We've already seen that L.D. put up with extraordinary things, including finding the babysitter in bed with her husband, and rather than react by distancing herself, she excused them away. And besides, why run away into total oblivion, when she had two little daughters to love?
yes I agree shouldn't it be providing evidence she did runaway.
Not absence of proving she didn't or couldn't.
Its back to front this mentality.

I am a little bit worried at the basics of the trial so far.
Mostly for the above reasoning.

What would be the chances that the very days JC breaks away from CD Lynette also walks off the face of the earth?

I want to see more mental representation of the feelings and escalating risky desperation this man was feeling at the time and the level of sacrifice he was prepared to go to get what he wanted.
JC.

LETS GET THIS PRESSURE COOKER SWITCHED ON ALREADY!!!

moo

But isn't forgery a crime ;)
It was a crime then and it's a crime today. Somewhere in the archives of that insurance company the evidence still lies there waiting to trip Dawson up. Writs will be served, charges will be laid. There is no time limit on it.

At that time, Marilyn clearly knew it was forgery. There is no accidental element in it. It was meant to convey to authorities that Lynn was alive WHEN THEY MUST KNOWN she was not alive, otherwise their little excursion into criminal fraud ( for a couple of teachers, a real barrier to promotion ) would be exposed when Lynn came back. The exercise extracted money , unlawfully , from the insurance company, and the actual signing of it by Marilyn was meant to extract money in a fraudulent manner.

The act underlines their complete confidence that Lynn would never return to check up on her own life insurance.

It seems to me that Marilyn must have got something out of this little dive into crime. Some reward. Perhaps first dibs on Lynn's wardrobe, some cash compensation, some promise from Paul, something. No one does that for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth