Still Missing Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped for focus>

I think from memory the time police believe she went missing was sometime between 8 or 9pm the previous evening and 8am on the Saturday after she was on the phone to her mum.

No one other than Chris has spoken to her since. Despite people "seeing" her.

Do you mind please clarifying this timeline for me? I understand that you saying that the police believe she went missing between 8 or 9 pm of the evening before she supposedly took the bus. But I don't understand where the "8am on the Saturday after she was on the phone to her mom" fits in.

Do you mind please clarifying this timeline for me? I understand that you saying that the police believe she went missing between 8 or 9 pm of the evening before she supposedly took the bus. But I don't understand where the "8am on the Saturday after she was on the phone to her mom" fits in.
Wasn't Lyn on the phone with her mum the evening before, not the morning?

If I remembering correctly, it was the phone call where Lyn sounded drowsy to her mum and made the comment 'Chris has made me a lovely drink' or words to that affect.

Wasn't Lyn on the phone with her mum the evening before, not the morning?

If I remembering correctly, it was the phone call where Lyn sounded drowsy to her mum and made the comment 'Chris has made me a lovely drink' or words to that affect.

Oh geez, yes. I had forgotten this. Her poor mother.

ETA, then the timeline above still fits if police believe she went missing on Friday evening between 8 and 9 pm after speaking with her mom, and the next morning, Saturday morning before 8 am.

was that " The Teacher's pet"?

which was banned for broadcast in Australia due to on-going legal trials
just like Underbelly which couldn't be broadcast in victoria .. everyone watched it anyways
Yes, it was 'The Teacher's Pet' and a friend of the missing Lyn noticed the 'new' ring on the new wife JC's finger and recognized the similarity to the ring/rings Lyn used to wear.

Was there an explanation for who was looking after the kids while Chris dropped Lyn off at the bus stop?

I know it was the 80s but even then leaving them alone wouldn't have been considered ideal.

I don't think JC was there that night? But I can't remember what was said about that on the podcast.
JC was at south west rocks.
He must have left the kids home alone unless.......
there was help.

CD can't wipe his butt without PD .....just an observation.:oops:

Was there an explanation for who was looking after the kids while Chris dropped Lyn off at the bus stop?

I know it was the 80s but even then leaving them alone wouldn't have been considered ideal.

I don't think JC was there that night? But I can't remember what was said about that on the podcast.

It seems unlikely that we will hear from anyone claiming to have been with the kids that morning, and who watched Lynette leave the home and take a ride to the bus station.

It seems unlikely that we will hear from anyone claiming to have been with the kids that morning, and who watched Lynette leave the home and take a ride to the bus station.
Highly unlikely, in my opinion. The 7pm 8pm Friday night phone call is the last time anyone else ( other than Chris Dawson, ) heard from Lynn. Only Chris Dawson 'drove her to the bus stop' on Saturday morning.

Not a single solitary soul on this wide brown land has definitively spoken to her, ( except Chris Dawson, who claims she rang him some weeks later ), or seen her and then spoke to her. No one. Not a trace.

She never got ill in 40 years, she never drove a car in 40 years, she never claimed her pension, she never applied for a passport, she never had a bank account, or a credit card, or a library card, or a loyalty card at a store, or bought a house or unit, or land , or rented public housing or private rental housing. ....She never went to the dentist in all of Australia, never claimed her own insurance, or her kids, or her share of the property, she never came back for her clothes, or her jewels. She never had another child, or children, and she never married again.

Not did she ever work anywhere again, she never made a workers compensation claim, or a tax claim nor filed a tax return.

Last edited:
I have a very strong feeling of similarities between this case and the Allison Baden-Clay case.
Uncanny , really. Gerard , with all his planning, and thinking and probably rehearsing, what he did, which Chris did not do, was Gerard called in the police too early. If he had waited a few days, that scratch mark may have worn away, and he may not have been so over excited that the hackles of the young copper who responded, immediately went into high gear . And Gerard did not rehearse his call to the police that morning. He sounded more triumphant than frantic. Silly man. He tried to sound casual, but it just didn't come off.

Gerard could only wait a few hours, and then he got his times mixed up. He should have waited another hour....

The co ercive stuff is straight out of the Co Ercive Handbook, the money, the crankiness about her having a job and her own bankcard, calling her fat and relegated to the kitchen. He wanted to diminish her psychologically before he finished her off, the torture was part of it, probably what they both enjoyed the most.

I'd totally forgotten about the bruises on her neck. I remember now that we did discuss this before.
Not saying we shouldn't discuss it again. Just I'm surprised I'd forget about this.
I'm not sure I've ever had a bruise on my neck, or seen one on someone else. Quite an unusual place for bruises.

Who looked after the 2 children when Chris went to South West Rocks to pick up JC ? Who was in driving distance the night Lyn disappeared ? Who could have possibly helped Chris hide the murder of Lyn? Who hid JC in their home over Christmas? Who also abused JC as a birthday gift? Who forged documents with Lyn's signature ? Just wondering??

I'd totally forgotten about the bruises on her neck. I remember now that we did discuss this before.
Not saying we shouldn't discuss it again. Just I'm surprised I'd forget about this.
I remember the incident of him putting his hands around her throat in the lift but I don't remember whether I knew that it left bruises.

Another witness and former colleague, Anna Grantham, told the court Ms Dawson disclosed an incident in which Mr Dawson assaulted her on the Bayview property beside the pool when the two were having a fight.

"She said he grabbed her by the back of her hair and he pressed her by the face, on the mud," Ms Grantham said.

"I said, 'Oh my god, he could have obviously killed you'.

"She said 'Yes, he could have easily killed me... I could not breathe, I was gasping for breath'.

Who looked after the 2 children when Chris went to South West Rocks to pick up JC ? Who was in driving distance the night Lyn disappeared ? Who could have possibly helped Chris hide the murder of Lyn? Who hid JC in their home over Christmas? Who also abused JC as a birthday gift? Who forged documents with Lyn's signature ? Just wondering??
2 people in it up to their eyeballs.... o_O

2 people hopefully sweating bullets right about now.

;)

2 people in it up to their eyeballs.... o_O

2 people hopefully sweating bullets right about now.

;)
The only way anyone else is going to be pulled into this is if CD gets such a sentence that he is likely to die in jail. Even 15 years would ensure that. .... now Chris.. is there anything you'd like to talk to us about that might get that reduced to 8years and parole ? you could drown out surfing rather than croak in a prison hospital.

I'm thinking similarly and wonder if Chris actually poisoned Lyn that evening, rather than just spiked her drink or drugged her.

My wife is of the opinion a 3rd party was involved too.

With the above in mind, you could come up with a scenario where Chris has organized a 3rd party to arrive at the Dawson home sometime between 9pm and 8am (probably early morning) to pick up an already poisoned Lyn and dispose of her under little pressure and in a manner where her body would never be found.

(apologies for the morbid nature of the above but it is highly plausible IMO)
I don't believe even Paul would take the risk of driving around with a body in his vehicle to a disposal site. What if he has a flat tire, what about an accident caused by someone else and the police are called ?

It's far safer to have a comatose drugged up Lynn in a vehicle - you can just say she's being driven home to sober up.

The only barrier to Chris's defence, Chris given the benefit of doubt is the one thing that he, his brothers, his entire family, about 1/2 Rugby team of oldies, various gullible by standers have been at great pains to dispel.

As things stand, Chris is , without any adjudication of the quality and veracity of witnesses to this, is the last person on earth to see Lynn alive. He drove her to the bus stop for her to 'go shopping'. Now, he has tried it on that Lynn rang him at the pool he was at doing life saving duties, but that is in the area of could be , could be not.

There has been a trickle of dubious folks giving tongue to the idea of Lynn appearing before them, from memory, one was in a hospital, ( Lynn had trained as a nurse ) but no idea of the date, or the month, or the year.

Another , a very elderly lady, said she saw Lynn at the newsagents, but did not say hello.

Another said, he thought he saw Lynn on a bus train? Taxi? , sometime. Didn't speak with her.

Chris says she rang long distance to the pool that day, and also, and this one is in the realm of weird, that he saw her on a televised broadcast of a soccer match in England she was in the crowd...

So far, this trial, these previous witnesses have not appeared, and do not seem to be on the witness list.

I think these alleged sightings of Lyn after Jan '82 would be next to useless information for the judge and a waste of court time...which may be why they aren't on the witness list.

Analogy: There have been many "sightings" of Tasmanian Tigers over the years. Merely sighting what one may think is a Tasmanian Tiger is not even close to being enough to make them no longer considered extinct.

Police believe Lyn disappeared between 9pm on Friday, January 8, 1982, and 8am the next day. Dawson reported her missing to Mona Vale police station six weeks after she disappeared, but also reported having repeated contact with her since that time

It was Saturday, January 9, when Lyn's family first noticed her disappearance. That day, she was to meet her husband and mother at Northbridge Pool, where her husband worked part-time as a lifeguard. Lyn had spoken to her mother on the phone the night before, some time before 9pm. The plan was for her to go shopping, then head to the pool. According to Fordham's submission at the 2001 inquest, Dawson said he dropped his wife off at a Mona Vale bus stop at 7am. Chris Dawson took his two daughters with him to Northbridge Pool, where he met Lyn's mother and asked Helena whether she had heard from her daughter.

This is from an article Search for the truth - `Until we find the truth it's not over' which was in the Daily Telegraph 22 February 2003. By Kara Lawrence.

I am guessing the time that he got to the pool meant 8am was the last moment it could have been. This was just after the 2nd inquest.

Fordham is Detective Matt Fordham, assisting the Coroner.

Highly unlikely, in my opinion. The 7pm 8pm Friday night phone call is the last time anyone else ( other than Chris Dawson, ) heard from Lynn. Only Chris Dawson 'drove her to the bus stop' on Saturday morning.

Not a single solitary soul on this wide brown land has definitively spoken to her, ( except Chris Dawson, who claims she rang him some weeks later ), or seen her and then spoke to her. No one. Not a trace.

She never got ill in 40 years, she never drove a car in 40 years, she never claimed her pension, she never applied for a passport, she never had a bank account, or a credit card, or a library card, or a loyalty card at a store, or bought a house or unit, or land , or rented public housing or private rental housing. ....She never went to the dentist in all of Australia, never claimed her own insurance, or her kids, or her share of the property, she never came back for her clothes, or her jewels. She never had another child, or children, and she never married again.

Not did she ever work anywhere again, she never made a workers compensation claim, or a tax claim nor filed a tax return.
I know her mother Helena rang a lot of hospitals in Australia and New Zealand and no one had heard of Lyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong