Still Missing Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defence have sent out a tail-ender to open the batting. The judge won't be amused if the remainder of their witnesses are of this quality.
At this stage, it seems to me that Dawson has to front up with a large contingent of bishops and cardinals, not that they are standards of truth telling, but merely for the look of it. All waving candles and wafers and wine and what not.... These sleazy underground dregs are an affront to the court.

PS... hope this individual isn't meant to be the nightwatchman... inferring a superior type of witness at the crease tomorrow.. surely not!

Last edited:
Assuming Cooper is the only witness the defence are calling, this thing could be completed very shortly. Each side to sum up and then the judge to head off into hibernation.

Sounds like that is exactly what is going to happen.

The defence closed its case on Monday afternoon after calling Mr Cooper.
The trial continues with closing submissions.

It just seems to me Cooper is like a payback for calling Robert Silkman to the stand. If you can call an ex-con to tell about a hitman several years before Lyn went missing then we will call an ex-con that remembers:
- The face of someone 36 years beforehand (given he notified in 2018 after seeing pictures).
- The exact conversation payback for ex-husband cheating
- the fact she had a sister who she wanted
- her selling stuff (that she didn't bring with her) although her engagement ring and eternity ring were left behind. I think her wedding ring might not have been found so as far as I can see this is about all that could be sold.

I hope he had a good trip to Sydney.

Last edited:
I was looking at timing of things from 9pm 8 January with the phone call from Helena Simms the night before Lyn was noticed to be missing. These are based on statements from the Australian Wordpress documents and newspaper articles.

Joanne has been away from 2 January and Paul and Marilyn and kids from 4th January

9 January
Sometime before 7am Lyn had made lunches for the kids and done a load of washing.
4.09am Bus schedule at Mona Vale
7am Chris dropped Lyn off at Mona Vale bus stop. (kids must be at home still sleeping).
Comes home and gets the kids breakfast.

Chris brings the kids with him to work. What I really want to know is who was looking after the kids. What if a rescue was needed. Had the intention been that Lyn be there and look after the kids. It is not detailed as to when Phil Day got there but was he there to look after the kids in case Chris was needed to rescue someone. Is the lifesaving job more a supervisory role that nothing really happens. I just don't think the Northbridge baths would be an appropriate place to take 2 kids to especially if they weren't supervised.

12noon or after Lyn expected at Northbridge Baths.
Col the manager leaves the baths
2pm Helena Simms arrives at pool
2 - 3 pm Phil Day arrives at the baths
3pm STD phone call from unknown person.

Phil Day is also there. Best man at Chris and Lyn's wedding.

Phil drops Helena and the kids home to Helena Simms place in Cloverly
Witness with Diary
Worked 8 - 5.30 at kiosk.
10 January Chris is at South West Rocks which is about a 5 hour drive from Sydney now. This may have been longer at the time depending on traffic as Pacific Highway is now 2 lanes all the way to South West Rocks but at least some of it would have been 1 lane at the time.
Making a couple of additions to previous time table of the days Lyn went missing from the latest 2 podcasts.

Other kiosk girl KB took STD call for either Chris or Paul in either January or February 1982,

In his closing address, prosecutor Craig Everson claimed the three co-existent motives were that the accused held :

1 A deep animosity towards his wife.
2 Had an “utter infatuation” and wanted an unfettered relationship with the babysitter, JC.
3 Was determined to avoid the adverse financial consequences of a dissolved marriage.

Everson said it was “extraordinarily unlikely that Lynette Dawson disappeared of her own accord”, as she had a loving relationship with her family including her daughters, did not take any clothes, did not have the financial means to disappear and her future plans “were inconsistent with her leaving unexpectedly and voluntarily without notice”.

This mornings update from The Australian :

Crown prosecutor Craig Everson SC will continue his closing address to former teacher Chris Dawson’s murder trial in the NSW Supreme Court on Tuesday.

So the prosecution haven't finished yet.

Chris Dawson used 'window of quiet seclusion' to dispose of murdered wife's body, court told​

By Jamie McKinnell

Mr Everson described four "plans" he said Mr Dawson had to end the relationship with Ms Dawson and instead pursue JC, to whom he had proposed marriage.

They included searching for a flat in Manly, unsuccessfully attempting to get Ms Dawson to sign paperwork to sell their northern beaches house and allegedly contemplating the recruitment of a hitman.

Mr Everson said the final, short-lived plan was for the pair to move to Queensland around Christmas 1981, but the court has heard they returned before reaching their destination because JC was sick and wanted to return to her family.

By this point, he argued, Mr Dawson's "slide into moral turpitude was obvious to those who knew what he was doing".

Mr Everson said the potential loss of JC caused him considerable anxiety and he came to view his wife as an "impediment" to being with her.

"His obsession with JC, his fear of losing her and the impediment his wife posed ... ultimately motivated him to murder her," Mr Everson said.

One has to wonder at this stage what the judge is thinking?

Also, hypothetically, if it was a jury sitting in judgement, what they might be thinking at this stage?
I'd be thinking, this guy wasn't to worried about his wife up & taking off leaving the kids with him ..........and he had an immediate replacement on hand......
:rolleyes:
;)

:mad:

I'd be thinking, this guy wasn't to worried about his wife up & taking off leaving the kids with him ..........and he had an immediate replacement on hand......
:rolleyes:
;)

:mad:
Naturally we haven't been able to hear all of what has gone on in the courtroom but I have a feeling if I was a juror I would be thinking, this guy is guilty. Whether 12 random jurors would have felt that way we will never know.

So looking forward to reading the reasoning behind the judge's verdict, whichever way it goes.

Another article.

The below was in addition to the 3 factor's in Cliffy's post above.

It’s the three-sentence message placed in The Daily Telegraph by Chris Dawson which prosecutors say proves he knew his wife Lynette was dead.
“Lyn, I love you, we all miss you. Please ring. We want you home, Chris,” read the classified advertisement placed in the paper on March 27, 1982 – the day after his wedding anniversary.
Mr Dawson has pleaded not guilty to murdering Lynette, who disappeared from their home at Bayview on Sydney’s northern beaches 40 years ago.

A classified message placed by Chris Dawson in The Daily Telegraph in March 1982 in which he pleaded with his missing wife Lynette to ‘please ring’ and come home. Picture: Supplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie