Deceased/Not Found Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *husband guilty* #5

I think the sentence is in keeping with the crime. It's just a pity he wasn't bought to justice about 40 years ago, like he should have been.
Yes, but then he would probably be out again by now, nothing to fear anymore, enjoying his life again, trips to his club, cruises in foreign parts, charming all the ladies, etc, etc. It's probably better like this (although not for him!)

Last edited:
So Chris Dawson has been delivered his long overdue justice BUT...

Was anyone else involved? Could protecting someone else be something that ensures Chris Dawson never divulges where Lyn's body is?
ooo I'm with you, Cliffie.. We have not heard the last of this hideous crime, not by a long shot, in my amateur opinion.

Chris Dawson's lawyer Greg Walsh made a statement outside the court after Dawson's sentencing today :

"I have an ethical obligation to act in accordance with his instructions and I've at all times done that," Walsh said. "But you've got to understand... I'm a human being and this case, it's a very, very sad case indeed, you see the family there and they're suffering."

That translates very tellingly if you are Chris Dawson.

I don't know how to answer that one, MJ.. It is possible that , having confessed to her murder, and producing the body of Lynn BEFORE he runs an appeal, well,...a bit knocked off. A few years, perhaps, bearing in mind, that for murder, in NSW, 20 years is the mandatory sentence. He gets 20 years regardless of what mitigating matters he may now decide to bring before a judge...

He will certainly appeal, it is his right to do so, it is very rare that a murderer does not appeal, because it's playing the odds. You can't win if you don't play, so his appeal will be a certainty, I think. On what grounds, that would be the big question. A matter of error by the judge? ,,... some glitch in the witnesses that he can prove to be incorrect?.. he doesn't have grounds enough as far as I can tell... He may get a hearing for an appeal though,, and be struck with an extra years sentence, this does happen, quite a lot, really. So it's a gamble, but he is a gambling man.

There was no jury, so he can't whinge about a bad juror!!

ps Regards to Bloor sT.. ( I used to live in Toronto ,, Scarborough) ..

Thanks for these thoughts. Yes, I think he will appeal. Even so, I doubt Dawson will ever be a free man.

Hi back attcha from the great white north .. away north of Bloor where there be dragons. ;)

I thought it was next Tuesday so I rearranged an appointment I had that day. :D

Then yesterday I put my name down for an impromptu Christmas lunch for today. This was before I found out that the sentencing was today and not next week like I thought.

I'm just going to have to cancel.

I don't want to miss his comeuppance.

Anyway I just rang a friend who is going to give my apologies. I can't miss this, have been waiting too long, but not as long as Lynette's family.
Just catching up now, my child on the Autism Spectrum had school( Not coping too well) therapy Appointments and a School Transition day , well for an hour. (new school for next year) I could not cancelled. Think be celebrating with a glass of wine later tonight.

Outside court, Lynette's brother Greg Simms spoke of the impact this final chapter had on the family.

"Today marks the end of a very long, painful and challenging journey. At last we have justice for Lyn and that was our main aim."

"Chris Dawson discarded her, the Dawsons disregarded her.

From today on we would like her to be known and remembered as Lynette Joy Simms."

Mr Simms said he hoped Dawson would live a long life so that he could serve the sentence imposed on him.

"We really didn't believe this day would ever come.

What we need now is to find Lyn and put her to rest. It's our time to begin living our lives without having this hanging over our heads.

"Chris Dawson has had 40 years of freedom. Now it's our turn."

Heard the news at lunch time. Glad of the decision. I think if the judge had sentenced that arrogant murderer to 24 years with parole period after 1 year with no body no parole rules he would still be in prison for 24 years.

The other prisoners call him ‘teacher’s pet’. View attachment 384313

Thank you you Mr Hedley Thomas.

AM Agenda Host Laura Jayes spoke exclusively to Thomas after the sentence was delivered and asked the journalist about Justice Ian Harrison's revelation inmates were using the podcast name “Teacher’s Pet” to “taunt” Dawson in prison, which garnered a brazen response.

“Who cares, really. Taunted, called names? Lyn Dawson was brutally murdered and had her life snuffed out,” he told Sky News Australia.

“She was completely unsuspecting. Almost certainly murdered in her own home. One of the worst victims of domestic violence and then had her memory smeared.”

Thomas said Friday's sentencing was a "very respectfully delivered judgement" from Justice Harrison.

Outside court, Lynette's brother Greg Simms spoke of the impact this final chapter had on the family.

"Today marks the end of a very long, painful and challenging journey. At last we have justice for Lyn and that was our main aim."

From today on we would like her to be known and remembered as Lynette Joy Simms."

Mr Simms said he hoped Dawson would live a long life so that he could serve the sentence imposed on him.

What we need now is to find Lyn and put her to rest. It's our time to begin living our lives without having this hanging over our heads.

Then let's remember her as Lynette Joy Simms. I wonder which will be the first news outlet to pick up on this request for her name to be changed.

Last edited:

I think too of Mrs Simms who looked for her daughter in vain and died never seeing justice served. She was separated from her two sweet granddaughter as well. Her suffering was unbearable. I hope she can now rest in peace.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back