Australia Australia - Maria James, 38, Thornbury, Vic, 17 Jun 1980

Sept 6, 2021
New inquest into mysterious murder of Melbourne mum four decades ago
''A new inquest into the violent murder of Melbourne mother Maria James has been launched, with the woman's killer still unknown after 41 years.
The coronial inquest, which began in Melbourne today, is hoped to establish who murdered Mrs James in 1980 and whether the initial police investigation into the killing was adequate.
Maria James' sons, Mark and Adam, have been calling for a second inquest for decades after the first found their mother was murdered by an unknown person.''
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fb67cf896-68c9-458b-a0b1-f241fa18bb4e

Maria James and one of her sons. (Nine)
''The brothers were only young boys in June 1980 when Mrs James was ambushed in the secondhand bookshop, where they also lived.
She was on the phone to her ex-husband when she was stabbed 68 times.''

Who killed Maria James? Victorian Coroners Court reopens 40-year-old Thornbury cold case, naming six murder suspects

Six “significant” persons of interest will be examined as part of a fresh inquest into the unsolved killing of mother Maria James, who was found stabbed to death at the rear of a Thornbury bookshop more than 40 years ago.

On Monday, counsel assisting the coroner Sharon Lacy named those men publicly for the first time, on day one of the Coroners Court of Victoria inquest into Ms James’ 1980 death.

They include Catholic priests Anthony Bongiorno and Thomas O’Keeffe, convicted killer Peter Keogh, retired barber Mario Falcucci and Ms James’ married lover Peco Macevski.

The inquest heard the sixth suspect – Lyle Perkins – was found with a knife and tape in the boot of his car after assaulting hitchhikers two months after Ms James’ death.

“Of them, only Peco Macevski remains alive,” Ms Lacy said.

Can anyone tell me why the (edit: ex-)husband isn't suspected? On his own account he was at the scene within fifteen minutes of the attack, immediately after a phone call. Is there independent evidence that the attack happened before he got there? Medical evidence isn't usually so precise as to time.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why the (edit: ex-)husband isn't suspected? On his own account he was at the scene within fifteen minutes of the attack, immediately after a phone call. Is there independent evidence that the attack happened before he got there? Medical evidence isn't usually so precise as to time.
I have a feeling I asked this before and had an answer. Someone else heard screaming and was certain of the time? Perhaps it got deleted. Or I'm thinking of another case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back