Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting how he gives a response, but it has little to do with the question.
This is the problem with relying on the podcast for exact responses...
YouTube Inquest of the Disappearance of Marion Barter Day 11 at 4:56:56

RB states that his overseas pension was paid THROUGH THE BANK where Bernard Dupont worked.

The inquest revealed Centrelink has investigated him before. I forget when that time period was. They obviously realised something didn't add up.

It's for this reason AND what's in the public NAA files that I believe he has not gone unnoticed by Aus authorities, and there must be a whole lot more we don't know about. Because that stuff doesn't directly relate to Marion's case, it wasn't revealed in inquest. Moo.

The inquest revealed Centrelink has investigated him before. I forget when that time period was. They obviously realised something didn't add up.

It's for this reason AND what's in the public NAA files that I believe he has not gone unnoticed by Aus authorities, and there must be a whole lot more we don't know about. Because that stuff doesn't directly relate to Marion's case, it wasn't revealed in inquest. Moo.
He was investigated by Centrelink in 1994 when he registered Ballina Coin Investments and DeHedervary Family Trust, set up by Vernon Paul Ware (Accountant) 95 Tamar St Ballina.
Little did they know he'd had Renov Pubs & C&L Construct since 1968.
I think he might trying to explain that little oversight to Centrelink as we speak.

Ahhh, there we go...

INQUEST: "At the time, my OVERSEAS PENSION WAS PAID THROUGH THAT BANK and that's why I met him."

PODCAST: "At the time, my pension office was right by that bank and that's why I met him."

Oh how I wish we could go back in time so the inquest could invite a staff member of BNP Paribas to provide records and speak as a witness. I wonder what name that bank account and pension is in? Has it ever been used for amounts other than Belgian pension cheque?

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who missed it in previous threads...
No, you CANNOT "plaster someone's face and name all over the place to trigger people's memories".

There's a REASON police and media don't do it.
Because you'd essentially be saying, "this person is guilty" before they've been charged or gone to court.
Not only is it unfair but it severely jeopardises any future criminal charges and trials.

Everyone (including you) has the right to defend themselves in a fair, unbiased and transparent court of law.
If your face and name are prematurely outed in relation to a crime, you can argue to have the case and charges dropped due to it being biased, and no-one will ever see justice for that particular crime.

They're the same reasons why this site has the disclaimer, "Your post will be publicly visible, please type responsibly."

If you pay attention to news, you'll see that police and media word criminal matters very carefully. It's deliberate.

There are other ways to increase public awareness of a case, such as holding an inquest with witnesses, and releasing a reward for information ;)
Thanks for explaining all this Peralta I honestly didn’t know. Guess I got carried away with the inquest being live/so transparent.

He was investigated by Centrelink in 1994 when he registered Ballina Coin Investments and DeHedervary Family Trust, set up by Vernon Paul Ware (Accountant) 95 Tamar St Ballina.
Little did they know he'd had Renov Pubs & C&L Construct since 1968.
I think he might trying to explain that little oversight to Centrelink as we speak.
Well he could use the same line as he did in the inquest about renov pubs… someone is using my name!

Ahhh, there we go...

INQUEST: "At the time, my OVERSEAS PENSION WAS PAID THROUGH THAT BANK and that's why I met him."

PODCAST: "At the time, my pension office was right by that bank and that's why I met him."

Oh how I wish we could go back in time so the inquest could invite a staff member of BNP Paribas to provide records and speak as a witness. I wonder what name that bank account and pension is in? Has it ever been used for amounts other than Belgian pension cheque?
That’s quite a significant difference in reporting on the inquest by TLV.. I mean a pension at the bank v at the time my pension was right by that bank.. gawd could mean a po box he collected from..another bank..a Centrelink branch…’pension office’…
Thankfully most of us reference the inquest and not TLV but IMO if you are reporting on an inquest and responses given at an inquest then it should be exact wording. To ensure the correct information is being put out to the millions of people that are listening and in particular for those that are solely following the case via TLV.

This isn’t just storytelling.. it’s a coronial inquest..

JMO/IMO/OMO/SMO (covering every opinion I can) so I don’t upset the TLV fans on here :)

That’s quite a significant difference in reporting on the inquest by TLV.. I mean a pension at the bank v at the time my pension was right by that bank.. gawd could mean a po box he collected from..another bank..a Centrelink branch…’pension office’…
Thankfully most of us reference the inquest and not TLV but IMO if you are reporting on an inquest and responses given at an inquest then it should be exact wording. To ensure the correct information is being put out to the millions of people that are listening and in particular for those that are solely following the case via TLV.

This isn’t just storytelling.. it’s a coronial inquest..

JMO/IMO/OMO/SMO (covering every opinion I can) so I don’t upset the TLV fans on here :)
And...it's not the only time it's happened.

And...it's not the only time it's happened.
I know :(
To be honest since the last 2 rounds of the CI I haven’t even gotten through the entire episodes… I scroll..for reasons like the above and because the ‘let’s have actors’ play out the questioning during the inquest has become incredibly hard to listen to.

I end up annoyed and I turn it off.

This has been a long road and TLV deserve a huge acknowledgment for bringing the case to the public’s attention but now IMO if you are reporting on actual court testimony and information then 100% accuracy is not only essential it’s expected.

JMO

I might have finally figured this out...
He used the ID's of TWO Bernard Duponts!

Incoming card for BERNARD DUPONT from France to Melbourne - Bonegilla Migrant Training Centre
His occupation: Bank officer DOB: 4/3/44 Single
He is processed through the migrant centre at Bonegilla.
He takes up a bank position in Melbourne. (Possibly, BNP Paribas Bank) Can't access file at NAA
(THIS IS A GENUINE MIGRANT)

**He requests/or is given a transfer to a Sydney branch** supposition only about the timing of him moving to Sydney

24 MAY 1969
WILLY WOUTERS arrives by plane in Perth and flew to Sydney to live with Ilona.

MAY/JUNE 1969
WILLY WOUTERS visits the BNP Paribas Bank, Sydney to organize payment of his pension.
He meets the teller/clerk/officer, Bernard Dupont.

Between JUNE 1969 - JAN 1970
WILLY WOUTERS strikes up a friendship with the 'single' Bernard Dupont and spends time at his flat in Larkin St, Roseville (or wherever he was living at the time) and steals Dupont's passport.

FEB 1970
Outgoing for BERNARD DUPONT 2 mths holiday in France QF/EG 172 ex Melbourne. Perhaps he needed to return to Melbourne for business reasons shortly before departing.
It would be very interesting to see this file at NAA because I suspect it might contain an application to replace a "lost" or "stolen" passport. Can't access this file either.

FEB 15 1970
FREDERICK DeHEDERVARY departs Sydney for Belgium. I suspect with Bernard Dupont's passport in his luggage.

APR 1970
Bernard Dupont (the REAL one) returns to Sydney from his holiday in France unaware his name & ID will be used for illegal purposes in Belgium.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WW uses the stolen Bernard Dupont ID (a bank manager) to commit frauds in Belgium.

Then, (while in prison) WW reads about another Bernard Dupont who exhibited art tapestries in the Sebert Gallery in Sydney, WW decides to use the stashed stolen passport to become Bernard Dupont "art dealer" on his inbound flight card in 1974/5. (in case Bernard Dupont - bank officer, raises suspicion).

When questioned by Smith, he just combined his two frauds into ONE BIG LIE!
The grains of truth....
Bernard Dupont (1) did work for a bank
Bernard Dupont (1) probably did think WW was "his friend" at one time.
Bernard Dupont (2) was associated with an art gallery in Sydney
Bernard Dupont (2) did travel to Australia frequently with his wife & child.

All in a day's work for a con-man, thief and fraudster!
Edit: IMO

Last edited:
found this :
DUPONT DAVID DANIEL DESIRE
Sigle
Enseigne
Dirigeants1 dirigeant(s)+ de détails
Adresse
30 C RUE DU GENERAL DE GAULLE
BATIMENT C RESIDENCE GARDEN FLEU
14910 BLONVILLE SUR MER icone loc
names in common with AKA, REAL ESTATE , 2 addresses of property, can’t find any other reference to the above named which is strange , usually businessmen leave a footprint

found this :
DUPONT DAVID DANIEL DESIRE
Sigle
Enseigne
Dirigeants1 dirigeant(s)+ de détails
Adresse
30 C RUE DU GENERAL DE GAULLE
BATIMENT C RESIDENCE GARDEN FLEU
14910 BLONVILLE SUR MER View attachment 344589
names in common with AKA, REAL ESTATE , 2 addresses of property, can’t find any other reference to the above named which is strange , usually businessmen leave a footprint
This person is also found on another business site. IMO it’s just a coincidence.

The shipping container filled with Marion's antiques and valuable items has never been seen after it left her home. I noted there were questions at the inquest about specific items; a TV unit, dining table, collectible porcelain figurines, dinner set, record collection etc. Also, there were the artworks by Norman Lindsay and the Boyds, all of which seem to have disappeared without a trace. If LE have been able to trace even one of these artworks back to RB it will be enough IMO. I'm sure he has a little black book of 'fences' for his 'acquired' goods. Hopefully one of them will be enticed by a $500,000 reward.
Thanks to everyone - and let’s hope the lessons from TLV will save others in the future from such tragedy.

Re the Doulton and art, etc. MB no doubt had nice things but anyone selling a deceased estate or down-sizing will weep at the small $ value of their treasures in the auction or resale. Limited edition art prints are not big ticket items. I thought AC’s comments to AKA at the beginning of the most recent hearing was interesting - “ … we have spoken to your children …” They must have seen what came in and when Dad got some money, etc.
I have an old UK passport from mid 80’s - the cover corner is cut off and “cancelled” stamped on some of it. The photo page has been removed but lots of clean blank pages remain and it could be “repurposed” in that paper era?
The breezy postcards written by MB read like an attempt to make things seem better than they were.
I thought Mrs DdH was sad and clueless. The only spark from her came when AC said something about the Belgian Congo and she said “… not Africa!” And finally, that cash in MB’s name in Barclays UK should be released to SL - small comfort, but something else that needs to be finalised.

Last edited:
New updated Timeline of events from TLV

I note they do not have the 30th of August postcard on the timeline

a few interesting points Sally made on the facebook page - have posted her comments here in case people miss them in the comment section or don't have facebook

I just wanted to mention one thing that’s on the timeline; it states Chris and I went to Byron Bay on Wednesday the 22nd October 1997. This is only based on the cops event being written up on the 22.10.97. I disputed this during the inquest as Chris and I drove to Byron the very next day after speaking to Owen on the 19th October 97. So from my memory it should read 20.10.97 we drove to BB and reported concerns for her well-being, something was wrong.

One other thing I wanted to mention aswell.
We were able to find out that mum DID NOT sell her home in Gerringong for almost 12 months after buying the property at Merinda Crt in Southport. This means she had two properties in 1994/ 1995. I also want to mention that I have always claimed I called the commonwealth bank on the 19.10.97 and that the bank teller on the phone who I called only 4 DAYS AFTER THE $80,000 was transferred from mums account to another from the Colonial State bank branch in Ashmore on the Gold Coast on the 15th October 97, told me $5000 a day over approximately three and a half weeks had been withdrawn from my mums account at Byron Bay then in the middle three days from Burleigh Heads then back down in Byron. At no time did she mention Ashmore or $80,000 to me in that call. Which only confirms to me mum had two bank accounts. 1. With the Commonweath Bank (who we’d banked with my entire childhood) 2. With the Colonial State bank in Ashmore. My guess being we have the contract of sale of merinda crt and the bank account given on that states CSB that mum had a small mortgage with CSB. (I have more information that I’m not sure if I can share here yet- but I will when I can). That will give you all some clarity on exactly how much money my mum had.
A lot!!

Thanks to everyone - and let’s hope the lessons from TLV will save others in the future from such tragedy.

Re the Doulton and art, etc. MB no doubt had nice things but anyone selling a deceased estate or down-sizing will weep at the small $ value of their treasures in the auction or resale. Limited edition art prints are not big ticket items. I thought AC’s comments to AKA at the beginning of the most recent hearing was interesting - “ … we have spoken to your children …” They must have seen what came in and when Dad got some money, etc.
I have an old UK passport from mid 80’s - the cover corner is cut off and “cancelled” stamped on some of it. The photo page has been removed but lots of clean blank pages remain and it could be “repurposed” in that paper era?
The breezy postcards written by MB read like an attempt to make things seem better than they were.
I thought Mrs DdH was sad and clueless. The only spark from her came when AC said something about the Belgian Congo and she said “… not Africa!” And finally, that cash in MB’s name in Barclays UK should be released to SL - small comfort, but something else that needs to be finalised.

I can imagine someone with little freedom and joy in her life being allowed to pick over the spoils of RB's activities, including possibly MB's shipping container. In my view a more likely fate for it than being sold, with all the risks, work and poor returns involved with that. Unwanted things could have been disposed of at the tip.

This would have served him well in ensuring that DdH was implicated and felt unable to inform on him. Especially if he later gas lighted her into believing she would go to prison for many years for being found in possession of MB's china..

Perhaps that's why they were questioned about certain of MB's items.

It would also mean that you would be trying to trace an empty shipping container, not one filled with identifiable items. Near impossible.

Long time listener, first time caller.

Do we know anything about the "documentary film crew" that AS mentioned on TLV recently, accompanying her to the inquest? Just the Channel 7 news cameras?

Last edited:
a few interesting points Sally made on the facebook page - have posted her comments here in case people miss them in the comment section or don't have facebook

I just wanted to mention one thing that’s on the timeline; it states Chris and I went to Byron Bay on Wednesday the 22nd October 1997. This is only based on the cops event being written up on the 22.10.97. I disputed this during the inquest as Chris and I drove to Byron the very next day after speaking to Owen on the 19th October 97. So from my memory it should read 20.10.97 we drove to BB and reported concerns for her well-being, something was wrong.

One other thing I wanted to mention aswell.
We were able to find out that mum DID NOT sell her home in Gerringong for almost 12 months after buying the property at Merinda Crt in Southport. This means she had two properties in 1994/ 1995. I also want to mention that I have always claimed I called the commonwealth bank on the 19.10.97 and that the bank teller on the phone who I called only 4 DAYS AFTER THE $80,000 was transferred from mums account to another from the Colonial State bank branch in Ashmore on the Gold Coast on the 15th October 97, told me $5000 a day over approximately three and a half weeks had been withdrawn from my mums account at Byron Bay then in the middle three days from Burleigh Heads then back down in Byron. At no time did she mention Ashmore or $80,000 to me in that call. Which only confirms to me mum had two bank accounts. 1. With the Commonweath Bank (who we’d banked with my entire childhood) 2. With the Colonial State bank in Ashmore. My guess being we have the contract of sale of merinda crt and the bank account given on that states CSB that mum had a small mortgage with CSB. (I have more information that I’m not sure if I can share here yet- but I will when I can). That will give you all some clarity on exactly how much money my mum had.
A lot!!
Thanks @KiwiNZ. Clarifying the bank accounts and timing of withdrawals seems to further cement my theory that MB was alive during the withdrawals from the Commonwealth account in Byron Bay.
IMO, Marion had not disclosed her other account. It was after her death, that the account in CSB was discovered and 6 weeks later, it too was cleaned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni