Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The name "Fernand Nicolas Marie Ernest Remakel" was not in the advert.

unlawful adventure" it was a very rare name in Australia. In fact there was only one Remakel in the whole of Australia in a lonely hearts advert Fernand Nicolas Marie Ernest Remakel is the full name.

The name "Fernand Nicolas Marie Ernest Remakel" was not in the advert.
It is thought my myself that she based part of her name Florabella Natalia Remakel on a real person a Mr R who was interviewed in the podcasts. He is the only living person with a name similar to the one in the advert He also played football the same time as her ex husband although no link can be found and a different team in a different country. Why she would have done so is a complete mystery and very bizzare to say the least.

Last edited:
Can anyone think of a motive/advantage of either FR or someone impersonating FR to have Florabella’s initials match those of FR ?

I can only think of Chequers and credit cards where you may just have initial and last name, I think in the 90,s you had to show ID if you wrote a cheque, like your drivers licence

Or was the use of the same initials used by someone trying to defraud FR

Or is this another red herring lol

Can anyone think of a motive/advantage of either FR or someone impersonating FR to have Florabella’s initials match those of FR ?

I can only think of Chequers and credit cards where you may just have initial and last name, I think in the 90,s you had to show ID if you wrote a cheque, like your drivers licence

Or was the use of the same initials used by someone trying to defraud FR

Or is this another red herring lol
Yes all I can think of is a credit card where you have initial and last name. What about travellers cheques?

I can think of using a name to impress and attract the ladies.

But as far as Remakel the sports person being a household name I don't think he was, at least not in Australia.
I'm not a huge sports fan but I have heard of the sports people that are or were household names.
That's why they call it that because the majority of households would at least have heard the name.
I had never heard the name Remakel until I started reading about Marion's case.
But then maybe to someone in a different area, like Europe, Remakel the sports person may have been a household name.

This is really interesting and I'm posting it here because I don't know where it could go.
If anyone could move to a more appropriate thread that would be wonderful.

"A national DNA program will be set up using funds from the proceeds of crime to examine hundreds of untested human remains and potentially solve missing persons cold cases.

The program will be set up within the Australian Federal Police and led by Associate Professor Jodie Ward, a leading unidentified human remains expert.

The federal government hopes the National DNA Program for Unidentified and Missing Persons will provide answers for families of missing persons.

"This program is all about using modern, previously unavailable forensic techniques to recover and profile DNA from old and degraded human remains to solve some of Australia's longest-running mysteries," Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton said in a statement on Sunday.

"With more than 500 sets of untested unidentified human remains, this investment gives hope to those with questions that have simply never been answered."

The government has committed $3.6 million to the program which has been announced in tandem with national Missing Persons Week.

The money comes from the proceeds of crime seized by police from criminals.

Some 38,000 Australians are reported missing each year.

Most are found within days of being reported missing but about 2600 people have never been located"

Fed govt gives funds to test human remains

Last edited:
So there are 500 sets of human remains. That is surprising, because I have searched for Australian Jane and John Does before and it seems to me very few are listed on the internet. Is there a list somewhere that I couldn’t find ?

I think because they are bones found, rather then bodies found, so cant be add to the Jane and John Does who have a photo identification

Not saying that this means Marion could still be alive but an interesting case about someone presumed dead for years.

A man feared by police to have been murdered has been found living in woods, almost five years after he disappeared amid fears he was being exploited.

The last confirmed sighting of Ricardas Puisys, now 40, was on 26 September 2015 at his workplace, 20 miles from where he lived in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. He unexpectedly failed to return to work two days later and in November of that year police launched a murder investigation. The following month a man was arrested on suspicion of his murder before being released without charge.

Man feared murdered is found alive in woods after nearly five years

It was interesting what Marion's ex husband said on one of the earlier podcasts about her being interested in living in a commune in Holland. The Osho movement have some kind of commune in Holland. They also own some land near Byron Bay which is a rain forest commune. Do any of the websleuths know anything about this organisation or know any members?. (For those in the UK there is a Netflix documentary called Wild Wild Country which is most fascinating). There is however, nothing at all to suggest that Marion may have taken up with a spiritual group in Byron Bay area (of which there are many) be it the Rajneesh (Osho) movement or the one mentioned on the podcast which was Hermes Far Eastern Shining. I think it was thought because Marion choose such an unusual name that it could be linked to Far Eastern Shining but nothing was ever proved either way.

Not saying that this means Marion could still be alive but an interesting case about someone presumed dead for years.

A man feared by police to have been murdered has been found living in woods, almost five years after he disappeared amid fears he was being exploited.

The last confirmed sighting of Ricardas Puisys, now 40, was on 26 September 2015 at his workplace, 20 miles from where he lived in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. He unexpectedly failed to return to work two days later and in November of that year police launched a murder investigation. The following month a man was arrested on suspicion of his murder before being released without charge.

Man feared murdered is found alive in woods after nearly five years
It does make me wonder if Marion could have bought some land somewhere like as part of a commune and be living remotely somewhere in the rainforests. With communal land there would be a house title, but because the land is owned communally, it’s not possible to get a bank loan. The only thing is that any purchase of property would show up somewhere and so far the police have been unable since 1997 to find either Marion Barter or records under the new name Florabella anywhere in Australia. One of the passports the Marion Barter one has since expired in 2007 and never again left the country. There has also been no Remakel passport used to leave the country. This does not mean to say she may have changed her name by deedpoll again whilst visiting the UK. However, checking UK records nothing was ever enrolled with the Supreme Court of Judicature. There have also been no traces either of any marriage between Florabella Natalia Marion Remakel and any mystery person.

Yes all I can think of is a credit card where you have initial and last name. What about travellers cheques?
Back in 1997 the whole choice of gender wasn't so prevelant as it is nowdays so I would imagine any bank card for Marion would be under Ms or Mrs rather than a Mr F.N.M Remakel. A registered medical practitioner or psychologist would need to verify change of gender then it goes through the Australian Government. It would be an extraordinary way to disappear though. A fake passport to Luxembourg then using the new name. Investigators would be thrown completely of scent thinking it is Fernand making the transactions.

Last edited:
Back in 1997 the whole choice of gender wasn't so prevelant as it is nowdays so I would imagine any bank card for Marion would be under Ms or Mrs rather than a Mr F.N.M Remakel. A registered medical practitioner or psychologist would need to verify change of gender then it goes through the Australian Government. It would be an extraordinary way to disappear though. A fake passport to Luxembourg then using the new name with the initials already belonging to someone else. Investigators would be thrown completely of scent thinking it is Fernand making the transactions.
Also the fact that she used all the birth initials of Mr F Remakel excluding one of his first names "Ernest" I find very interesting. A play with letters and the word Earnest: scrupulous with regard to telling the truth; not given to swindling, lying, or fraud; upright while earnest is serious in speech or action.

From Facebook for those not on it ......Watch 7News tonight at 6pm for a major announcement following our investigation. It’s running in all states. A new podcast episode called Turning Point also drops just after midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288