Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997

Discussion in '1990's Missing' started by inkpink, Apr 3, 2019.

1. sunnynz

sunnynz Well-Known Member

I believe it was mentioned she doesn’t have a middle name

roche.analisa and Josiegirl62 like this.
  2. sunnynz

What sites do you use to get your info?

roche.analisa likes this.
  3. Cliff Hardy

Cliff Hardy PI

There seems to be some hard to ignore coincidences with the Remakel name. But perhaps Marion simply chose it because she heard it somewhere and liked the sound of it?

Without being unkind to Fernand Remakel - because playing sport at national level is an achievement in itself - he was a relative no-name who was retired in 1969 at about 22 years of age. So Marion is fairly unlikely to have even come across his name.

4. sunnynz

I agree - think the chances of her coming across the name through the football world while Johnny Warren was her husband, and then subsequently retaining that name, is a far less likely scenario than Marion coming across the name in the recent history prior to her disappearance.

My husband is a footballer and I can tell you that as a 'WAG', I'm barely aware of the names of players on opposing teams. Yes, sure if it was someone on the same team as her husband then I'd get that, but the chances of her taking note of the name of an opposing player? Nope. I think she had to have come across F Remakel either via the personal ad, or simply by meeting him some other way due to geographic proximity in the mid-late 90s. Maybe she never saw the ad in Le Courier, but she may well have met him some other way.

roche.analisa, Cagney&Lacey and JLZ like this.
  5. Intriguedbyintrigue

Intriguedbyintrigue Member

Comparing the lady vanishes to teachers pet is like comparing four corners to a current affair. Teachers pet was powerful because of its investigative integrity which is sadly lacking in TLV.

I dont know what happened with the lost boy of TSS but he (a PI) clearly believes Sally/podcast resist lines of enquiry incongruent with the view that Marion's disappearance was involuntary.

Sally is entitled to a biased view but I object to the strawman argument adopted by the podcast which discredits, disputes or casts suspicion on anything/anyone not supporting their preferred version of events (Lesley, the police, the banks, Marion's sisters and that poor elderly man in Luxemburg). An investigation should follow the evidence not just look for things to support your predetermined view.

Now in latest conversation episode Brian addresses the backlash over what happened in Luxemburg by calling it trolling.

This 'investigation' has become a self-indulgent farce. Potentially good for ratings but i fail to see how any of this is in Sally/Marion best interest so I'm not going to follow this one anymore. I have enjoy reading everyone's clever suggestions and ideas. Good luck with the search!

insanity, roche.analisa and inkpink like this.
  6. TheOracle66

TheOracle66 Active Member

Marion could of also picked up the newspaper and thought 'yeah I ll go with that name'. I knew a lady once who changed her name. She just opened a phone book and picked a name, there was no rhythm or rhyme, just changed it to a random one out of the book.

7. TheOracle66

Brian keeps saying he is positive he will solve the mystery of what happened to Marion. We will see!

8. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

Permanent Internet access was first available in Australia to universities via AARNet in 1989. The first commercial dial-up Internet Service Provider (ISP) appeared in capital cities soon after, and by the mid-1990s almost the entire country had a range of choices of dial-up ISPs.
    Telecommunications in Australia - Wikipedia

I was using the internet in 1992, a friends university account.
    then got my own account in 1994, when the first commercial internet arrived here.
    It looks like some other places had it well before 1994.
    Quite likely that school staff had access to it.
    But was the french newspaper published online back then.

9. Josiegirl62

Josiegirl62 Member

Realestate.com and land titles office also. But I just discovered on Reverse Australia the phone number in the add was for flat #1 in 2018.

10. sunnynz

Thanks

11. TootsieFootsie

Re Luxenbourg, I was surprised that the words "The Ad you placed" or similar were used on meeting Monsieur Remakel, I don't recall the exact words. I didn't expect that at all.
    Do they have evidence that he was the one that wrote and placed the ad?
    I wouldn't be surprised if he got straight on the phone to a lawyer to be honest.
    And that doesn't always mean being guilty of anything, maybe he has nothing to with Marion vanishing but has now read up on the case and believes he might be accused of something.

I would have tried to arrange a meeting with him alone, with no wife or partner around.
    I would hardly expect anyone saying yes I placed that ad if there was a chance anyone could overhear.
    Especially if he had a relationship with someone else at the time.

Pretty sure I would have freaked out if a foreign TV crew arrived at my door making accusations.

I don't know one way or the other if he has anything to do with Marion vanishing.
    I hope one way or the other that Sally does find out that what happened to her mum.

12. TootsieFootsie

I'm looking forward to the next Conversations and do hope that the team are able to get some sort of a conclusion to the disappearance of Marion.
    I can only imagine how hard it must be for Sally and others not knowing what happened.
    I think knowing what happened is the best thing, even if it turns out to be the worst news, or even something unexpected.

I believe the team are doing everything they can think of to find out what happened.
    Hopefully there is someone out there who does know and will come forward with information.

roche.analisa and StarrChance like this.
  13. TheOracle66

Hopefully when the Federal Police file is fully released once it has been been to the FOI administrative tribunal, it will contain links that will help solve the mystery. However, if Marion is a live and has chosen to live a life away from her family she will not be happy.

roche.analisa and StarrChance like this.
  14. Mel 1303

Mel 1303 Well-Known Member

If there is any information in the file about where Marion is or was, it will not be released through FOI. Marion has every legal right to not be in contact with her family, and any breach of that would be illegal.

15. TheOracle66

I a
    I agree, however when Sally received file before it was heavily redacted. The FIO stated that there was no need to redact all of the information presented. So it will be interesting all the same. Sally only had 3 minutes to go through the info which had a copy of the passport. Hopefully there will be flight information which will prove to sally that it was Marion who come back to Australia and withdrew her own money, not an imposter as some believe. There maybe evidence that points to her being alive rather than dead.

16. Josiegirl62

Josiegirl62 Member

What is interesting with the add in 1994, is that for most Recontres adds in the classified section, when looking at other editions, most adds are run for 2 editions. This add was only run once. What that means, I don't know but interesting. I have been looking to see if there is a similar add, maybe with different name, but there isnt one that i have come across as yet.

On another note, I wonder if this was the Michele Burnett, that had been looking for the F Ramakel recently (on Luxembour website). If its the same lady, she had posted the following add March '97, found French newspaper in Australia (on Trove) a few years later.

MICHELE 39 ans, l m60, libre sans enfants, bien physiquement, sérieuse, souhaite rencontrer gentleman 39 50 ans,
    libre, affectueux, sincère, situation stable, pour une conclusion heureuse: amour, sécurité et plus si affinités. Sydney et Cold
    Coast seulement. Photo récente appréciée. Pas sérieux s'abstenir. Ecrire à Michèle CIIEMINON, P.O. Box 391, RANDWICK,
    NSW 2031.
    I think that she had posted the add previously as well.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  17. Cliff Hardy

Cliff Hardy PI

It looks to me like it will come down to whether the police will eventually cooperate or not. Nothing so far suggests they will.

18. inkpink

inkpink Active Member

Why won't they, I wonder?

Is it because they know more but can't elaborate? Can a missing person specify to the police that relatives can't be told that they have been located and are safe and well....?

Or is it because the Police have dropped the ball and are trying to save face?

It's got to be one of these, doesnt it or am I being to simplistic?

19. TheOracle66

I think that the police know she is alive and well. If they are trying to save face, it will will come back and bite them on the backside.

20. Cliff Hardy

Cliff Hardy PI

According to the police they have informed Sally that Marion contacted them, and they seem to be intimating Marion doesn't want people - including Sally - to know any more than that.