Australia Australia - Mark Haines, 17, Tamworth, Nsw, 16 Jan 1988

Bohemian

Reaction score
After 30 years, family hope a $500,000 reward will answer questions on Mark Haines' death
The Sydney Morning Herald/Northern Daily Leader
Ella Smith
January 16 2018 - 6:31PM

cache.php

Family and friends of Mark Anthony Haines converge on Tamworth Police Station for the announcement of a $500,000 reward in relation to his cold case death. Photo: Ella Smith

‘Mark Anthony Haines' mother, father and grandmother went to their graves never knowing how he died.

But now, 30 years to the day that the 17-year-old was found dead on railway tracks in Tamworth, his remaining family hopes a $500,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of someone responsible will deliver answers.’

‘A coronial inquest returned an open finding into the death in 1988 and no charges have ever been laid in relation to the case. His family has since led a relentless charge to bring about justice, suspecting foul play.’

‘The family has maintained Mr Haines did not commit suicide.

In January last year, the cold case death was referred to the state's homicide squad.

Six months later, the family posted a $20,000 reward for anyone who could help solve the mystery.

"It was offered to try and push police and the police minister to offer a reward and that's been done," Mr Craigie [Mark’s uncle and family spokesperson] said.

Police Oxley Acting Superintendent Jeff Budd made the announcement of the reward "to assist police and the family in getting a resolution on Mark's death".’

‘"We hope the inquiries we're conducting now in NSW and southern Queensland will further be enhanced by this announcement.

"This needs to be explained. There's knowledge out there. Someone knows something. We need those people to come forward."‘

Read more at:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/after-30-...ons-on-mark-haines-death-20180116-h0jbm8.html

Australian Story's two-part special Blood on the Tracks tonight at 8pm on ABC TV:

Blood on the Tracks - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This 360° crime scene holds the answer to a bizarre 30 year mystery | Blood On The Tracks True Crime
ABC News (Australia)
Published on May 27, 2018

Explore the puzzling crime scene and evidence that investigators found when Mark Haines' body was discovered on train tracks seven kilometres outside of Tamworth, a town in Northern NSW, on January 16, 1988. After three decades, reporter Allan Clarke unravels the mystery behind Mark's suspicious death:

Last edited:
Podcast here:

S1 01 | Blood On The Tracks

Download (20.08 MB)

It’s the summer of 1988. A train hits a person early in the morning on its way out of Tamworth. Straight away, something doesn’t add up about the scene where the body is found. A rail worker notices strange inconsistencies at the scene. If this was suicide, why is there so little blood?

The boy on the tracks is Mark Haines, a Gomeroi teenager with friends on both sides of the tracks. We meet his uncle Don (Duck) Craigie, who has been tirelessly searching for answers since Mark’s death. He suspects foul play.

We trace Mark’s movements on the night before his death, as he hits the town on a big night out with a bunch of friends, dancing, drinking and having fun. Mark’s friends and girlfriend say they left him in the early hours. Just after, a nearby resident hears voices on the street, what sounds like an argument, and a car driving dangerously.

But the next few hours remain a mystery. How did Mark end up on the tracks?

Duration: 27min 39sec
Broadcast: Mon 28 May 2018, 1:00am

I admire Mark’s uncles for taking on their own investigation of Mark’s death after the seeming disinterest of Oxley LAC investigators. I hope these fellas and the rest of Mark’s family find justice.

Tonight’s episode uploaded to YouTube here:

Blood on the Tracks: How did Mark Haines die?

ABC News (Australia)
Published on May 28, 2018

January 16, 1988 was just like any other day in Tamworth, country New South Wales. But after a teenage boy was found dead on the train racks, it triggered a string of unanswered questions, cover-ups and mistakes that have haunted the community for 30 years. So can Mark Haines’ death be put down to misadventure or something more sinister? The Australian Story and ABC True Crime Unvravel podcast investigate the cold case.

I admire Mark’s uncles for taking on their own investigation of Mark’s death after the seeming disinterest of Oxley LAC investigators. I hope these fellas and the rest of Mark’s family find justice.

I really admire Mark's uncle too Bo.
At the end of Aust Story, touching on a person leaving suicide note to do with this case and will watch next week for part 2.

Cold Case Death in Australia Cracked – By Suicide Notes?

I really admire Mark's uncle too Bo.
At the end of Aust Story, touching on a person leaving suicide note to do with this case and will watch next week for part 2.

Cold Case Death in Australia Cracked – By Suicide Notes?

Thanks for the link, sym. Mark’s case has me intrigued. I remember watching a three part series on his death on NITV a while ago. I think it was part of Cold Justice in the Living Black program. Unfortunately, it seems our First People’s suspicious deaths are often left inadequately investigated.

btw I wonder if Mark’s case is another one for our DCI Jubelin?

At link is a transcript of a speech delivered in parliament by Greens member David Shoebridge back in 2016. I find it interesting that the train driver thought he'd hit a sheep whilst travelling north and then an hour later coming back down the line checking for possible hit sheep, came across a person lying on the tracks.
http://davidshoebridge.org.au/2016/11/17/death-of-mark-anthony-haines-speech/

No problem Bo, thank you for starting Mark's thread. I didn't know about this case until seeing an ad on the ABC for Blood on the Tracks. I've since learnt that Strike Force Puno which is investigating Mark's death are also working on the similar case of Stephen Smith. David Shoebridge has been highlighting Stephen's case as well.

What happened in the two hours before Stephen was killed? | Update
Oxley detectives and the homicide squad – as part of Strike Force Puno – are investigating Mark Haines’ death in Tamworth. It’s this investigation that has spiked the crime review of Stephen’s case.

No problem Bo, thank you for starting Mark's thread. I didn't know about this case until seeing an ad on the ABC for Blood on the Tracks. I've since learnt that Strike Force Puno which is investigating Mark's death are also working on the similar case of Stephen Smith. David Shoebridge has been highlighting Stephen's case as well.

What happened in the two hours before Stephen was killed? | Update
Oxley detectives and the homicide squad – as part of Strike Force Puno – are investigating Mark Haines’ death in Tamworth. It’s this investigation that has spiked the crime review of Stephen’s case.

Yes, Stephen’s case is one I’ve heard of in the past. Thanks for the link, sym.

You might be interested in watching this series:

Cold Justice

This series follows the injustice Indigenous Australians face with cold case victims. Hosted by Walkley Award and Amnesty Media Award nominee Allan Clarke.

Last edited:
T
Yes, Stephen’s case is one I’ve heard of in the past. Thanks for the link, sym.

You might be interested in watching this series:

Cold Justice

This series follows the injustice Indigenous Australians face with cold case victims. Hosted by Walkley Award and Amnesty Media Award nominee Allan Clarke.

Thanks Bo, I'll definitely catch up on this series.

glad to see a thread started for mark. he deserves some exposure xo
I grew up in this neck of the woods and oddly don't remember much about it.
the general consensus about the police care factor with an aboriginal death is true.
much has changed for the better since then and I think the cold case team involved will look at things deeper than originally.

country kids can be pretty wild, they sure know how to have a good time.
my two bobs worth thinks the kids stole a cool car for a joyride, had an accident that ultimately killed mark and the rest of them went into protection mode.
from their perspective marks dead he cant get into trouble but the rest of them didn't wanna get fingered for stealing a car and then someone with manslaughter.

now its come to light from the younger brother that the elder brother(terry) was with mark at the tracks putting that towel under his head flows with this opinion.
terry killing himself six months later is also an unfortunate and unnecessary connection.

hope his family get some comfort from knowing (if this is what happened) that his death wasn't intentional and an accident just covered to muddy accountability.
kids make stupid mistakes , just be the right thing to do to let mark rest in peace with the truth be out there.

jmo

Footsteps on the Tracks

Mark Haines' family have always maintained he met with foul play, and criticised police investigations as inadequate.

The NSW Crown Solicitor's Office last week wrote to the family's lawyers to confirm a new inquest would be held.

When asked what he and the family are hoping for from the new investigation, Mr Craigie said it was a matter of closure.

"Answers," he said.

"We're looking for answers. We've waited for 35 years."

By Brigitte Murphy
Posted 56m ago
1689907170108.png
''Relatives of Gomeroi teenager Mark Haines say they hope an increased $1 million reward will bring forward more information about the truth of his death.

His body was discovered eight kilometres south of Tamworth on January 16, 1988.

Mark, 17, had died from a traumatic head injury and suffered significant blood loss.

Don Craigie, Mark's uncle, said he hoped this increase will bring information and people forward.

A man speaking at a police stand-up.

Don Craigie said time is running out for those who have information. ( ABC New England North West: Brigitte Murphy)
"Hopefully this will be the incentive that finds this missing piece of that puzzle. I believe it's there and it's ready to be put in place," Mr Craigie said.

"The clock is ticking."

"Come forward now before the police come knocking down on your door."

Mark was popular and had a large circle of Indigenous and non-Indigenous friends.(Supplied)
1712581220614.png

/ By Max Tillman and James Paras
April 8 2024 lengthy, with many pics.
  • ''In short: The body of 17-year-old Gomeroi teenager Mark Anthony Haines was found on train tracks at Tamworth in 1988.
  • The circumstances surrounding his death remain a mystery, despite previous investigations.
  • What's next? A fresh coronial inquest has started and is expected to run for two weeks.
Mark Haines' name and photo has been used with the permission of his family.

It has been more than 36 years since the death of Mark Haines, but New South Wales Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame says it is likely new information will emerge from an inquest that started in Tamworth today.

The Gomeroi teenager's body was discovered on train tracks eight kilometres south of Tamworth on the morning of January 16, 1988.''

The circumstances leading to the teen's death remain a mystery to his family and the wider community.

In her opening remarks to the court, Magistrate Grahame urged anyone who could shed light on the case to come forward.

"I think it is likely someone knows something we don't know now," she said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back