Australia - Martin Place siege: 2 Hostages killed in Lindt Chocolate shop #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you reckon Police may be able to access the building from underground and infiltrate that way?

Hi fellow Aussies, many hugs for all especially our Sydney folks.

Spent today calming my DD, who was freaking out - she was concerned this is the beginning of a war. And we live in a predominantly Muslim area close to a few good targets for religious terrorism. Lots of talking.. but I think she won't sleep well, tonight.

---

At a press conference this morning Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the government did not know whether the hostage situation was politically motivated.

“We don’t yet know the motivation of perpetrator, we don’t know whether it’s politically motivated although there are indications it could be,” he said.

“The whole point of politically motivated violence is to scare people... Australia is a peaceful, open and generous society and nothing should ever change that and that’s why I urge all Australians to today to go about their business as usual.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/a-m...artin-place-cafe/story-fncynjr2-1227156241649

For srs, Abbot.

We're not a nation of idiots. What OTHER motivation could this guy have? He's not from fricken Greenpeace.

Business as usual. Right-o.

Umm...dude had hostages hold up an islamic flag in the window. Yup no way it could be political.

And it makes me so angry that children are afraid to sleep in their own beds! I'm so sorry, Ausgirl.

'We have had reports on the number of hostages ranging from 8 to 50. So really, it does not seem that anyone knows how many people are in the siege at the Lindt cafe at Martin Place.

An unnamed witness rang Channel 7 for an interview and was coming in and out of the building the cafe just before the siege happened. He estimated there were about a dozen people in the cafe just before the siege.'

I saw the offender, we eyeballed each other. I did another [delivery] load and then the guy had a gun, a gun in the blue bag and running out of the building.

Reporter: When you looked in and eyeballed, as you said, the offender, what did the situation appear to be?

At the time it was quite calm, people seated at the table. People sitting around tables.

Reporter: Do you think he was perceived as threatening at that moment?

At that moment no. Not sure what was going on inside the store.

The witness said the lady next to him told him there was a gun and to run'

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...stage-situation-inside-martin-place-cafe-live

And yes, massive shame on those media outlets stirring the pot with antagonistic headlines/pics.

Needs to be some kind of regulations in place, in the event. Massive comebacks for fear-mongering. This is half of why my kid spent today freaking out.

No motivation yet - but still using term politically motivated - so it might be a indiv distressed with system as oppossed to ISIS horrors.

Cabinent been briefed, operationial updates by police as needed, fiscal report being released! Wants everyone to go on and think about hostages

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-with-being-shot/story-e6freon6-1227156623104

Craig Stoker was walking down Phillip Street after buying a coffee in the Lindt Cafe when he bumped into the gunman.

“He was wearing a black T-shirt with white writing on it and a headband and carrying a blue bag.

“The bag bumped into me and there was something hard in it.

“I said ‘watch where you are *advertiser censored**ing going’.

“He turned round and said ‘do you want me to shoot you too?.’ I looked into his eyes and they were crazy,” said Mr Stoker, a father of four from Eastlakes. “I was pretty freaked out.”

The bearded man was with two others who were similarly dressed.

Lebanese Muslim Association president Samier Dandan said Australian Muslim leaders were meeting online to see if the community could help.

"If there's something that the Australian Muslim community can do to assist, we are there," he told ABC.

The siege has attracted attention around the world with US President Barack Obama briefed and leaders from New Zealand and Canada expressing their concerns for the hostages.

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...artin-place-cafe/story-e6frfku9-1227156266908

It was mentioned on SM this morning that the person/people tried to get into channel 7, but security stopped them.

Wait, what was this LJKaust? Is someone saying this gunman tried to get into channel 7 this morning? Or am I completely misunderstanding you lol :scared:

I'm just about to head off to bed, but I'm not sure how I'll do that as my thoughts are firmly with the hostages and their loved ones. I couldn't care less who the perpetrator is. I don't care about his ideology. I don't care what his name is. Just thinking of the hostages and hoping for the best outcome for my Australian "cousins".

:grouphug:

Same link people above the cafe being evacuated

Hi Hum

I agree with ya! And as bizaire as it sounds it would be better if we were correct kind of! You know what I mean!

And I think that's partially why I think / hope that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4