Australia - Martin Place siege: 2 Hostages killed in Lindt Chocolate shop #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellow Aussies, many hugs for all especially our Sydney folks.

Spent today calming my DD, who was freaking out - she was concerned this is the beginning of a war. And we live in a predominantly Muslim area close to a few good targets for religious terrorism. Lots of talking.. but I think she won't sleep well, tonight.

---

At a press conference this morning Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the government did not know whether the hostage situation was politically motivated.

“We don’t yet know the motivation of perpetrator, we don’t know whether it’s politically motivated although there are indications it could be,” he said.

“The whole point of politically motivated violence is to scare people... Australia is a peaceful, open and generous society and nothing should ever change that and that’s why I urge all Australians to today to go about their business as usual.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/a-m...artin-place-cafe/story-fncynjr2-1227156241649

For srs, Abbot.

We're not a nation of idiots. What OTHER motivation could this guy have? He's not from fricken Greenpeace.

Business as usual. Right-o.

Once Miss 8 gets home from school, it's going to be all Christmas movies and minecraft, with NO news tonight. She usually watches the news with us and I know things worry her, but this would send her anxiety over the edge.

Josh White ‏@jwooot 25s25 seconds ago

Another call from inside the @LindtCafeAus to @2GB873 - host Ray Hadley says he can't comply with the demands #sydneysiege @NewstalkZB

Did they mention what the demands are, that the host can't comply with?

Kristy Mayr @KristyMayr7 · 4 mins 4 minutes ago

"This is an appeal for calm" - Premier @DanielAndrewsMP urges Victorians to go about their business as usual.. #7News

Josh White ‏@jwooot 25s25 seconds ago

Another call from inside the @LindtCafeAus to @2GB873 - host Ray Hadley says he can't comply with the demands #sydneysiege @NewstalkZB
Is anyone reporting what the demands are?

Yes it was a thought, I've only seen a grainy pic of the gun man on my phone and admittedly I have very poor eyesight. But knowing they're both older and this man publicly criticises the government and I felt that could fit in here.
Thanks for your input I might go turn on my computer and have a better look at the gunman pic.

But the father in the article is anti jihadists. To me that doesn't fit with holding hostages with an Islamic flag. I think his grief and anger is just misplaced. Loads of people are angry at this government. I don't think it's the same guy.

Geez, the Guardian is posting exactly the kind of photo police asked them not to on their live blog.:(

I am not linking it.

Lindt Chocolate Cafe @LindtCafeAus · 7 mins 7 minutes ago

We would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and kind support over the current situation at the Lindt... http://fb.me/75dM4GVJc

It was mentioned on SM this morning that the person/people tried to get into channel 7, but security stopped them.

That is just horrifying, particularly in light of the threat to behead someone on national TV.

DD and I are discussing the issue of how to uproot terrorism in this country, without impacting innocent and peaceful Muslim immigrants and residents. We've so far some up with no answers. I don't think there are any.

Good call, LJK, keeping littly away from news. My DD gets anxious too but she's too old to protect from the news.

How scary! :( My thoughts are with the hostages, and their families. I hope for the best outcome, and everyone comes out safe.

Hi fellow Aussies, many hugs for all especially our Sydney folks.

Spent today calming my DD, who was freaking out - she was concerned this is the beginning of a war. And we live in a predominantly Muslim area close to a few good targets for religious terrorism. Lots of talking.. but I think she won't sleep well, tonight.

---

At a press conference this morning Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the government did not know whether the hostage situation was politically motivated.

“We don’t yet know the motivation of perpetrator, we don’t know whether it’s politically motivated although there are indications it could be,” he said.

“The whole point of politically motivated violence is to scare people... Australia is a peaceful, open and generous society and nothing should ever change that and that’s why I urge all Australians to today to go about their business as usual.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/a-m...artin-place-cafe/story-fncynjr2-1227156241649

For srs, Abbot.

We're not a nation of idiots. What OTHER motivation could this guy have? He's not from fricken Greenpeace.

Business as usual. Right-o.

I live an area with lots of Jewish people. I can only imagine how alert their security is right now around synagogues and schools. There was a bomb scare at the school in my street not too long ago. The street was shut down and the bomb squad called in. Turned out someone had just parked their old ute in an odd way on the curb.

I reckon Tony Abbott is going to use this for maximum political gain, based on fear and division, but that's a different conversation.

What ever happened to the whole " we don't negotiate with terrorists " mantra? ! The Lindt Cafe should've been stormed by Police hours ago!!

Hi guys

For some reason I am starting to suspect that this might be mental illiness deal as oppossed to terrorsim - we shall see JMO!

Delusioinial ? He has a flag that means nothing ?? No dialog, with authorities, one might think that one with broader notions would pick something other than a donut shop - there just seems to be more mental stuff than an organized terrorist deal.

'Grainy images have emerged from the Lindt cafe siege showing what appears to be the gunman wearing a black bandana emblazoned with white Arabic script, my colleague Michael Safi reports.

First Look Media’s Andy Carvin has asked for people on Twitter to help translate what we can see of the bandana.'

Andy Carvin @acarvin
Consensus translation of the headband is "We sacrifice ourselves for you, O Mohamed.” Caveat: photo blurry, text incomplete. #sydneysiege

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...stage-situation-inside-martin-place-cafe-live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff