Australia - Martin Place siege: 2 Hostages killed in Lindt Chocolate shop #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 'breaking news' they titled it , channel nine have just named him and are now running a story on all his past crimes and history.

Unbelievable :(

Please let the police have approved this

Channel 9 just said that police said he could be named!

He should have been locked up & deported a long time ago........so angry:tantrum:

Anyone watching channel nine right now ?

Dr Sally Lievesly from London. Her opinion ( what I understood ) was that by having his name published is likely to incite him to act. She looked shocked when the Australian reporters told her some media outlets had decided to publish his past history (enough to identify him )even though the media had all known who he was all day but chosen not to broadcast it.

Just watching ABC a minute ago, they were stating police are STILL urging people not to publish his identity.

If people die because of it, I wonder if they'll think it's worth the extra circulation. :|

eta: Just saw that police have said it's ok to discuss. Still, I hope there's no backlash.

With that said, read how he murdered his ex wife. Horrific. Just . awful. I am even more scared for those people now.

AN Iranian self-styled sheik who sent offensive letters to the families of dead Diggers and is on bail for accessory to murder was last night holding 15 people hostage in a Sydney cafe.

The 49-year-old, who lives in Sydney’s southwest, stormed the Lindt cafe in Martin Place yesterday morning, brandishing a sawn-off shotgun and sparking one of the biggest hostage dramas in the nation’s history.

The heart of Australia’s biggest city was locked down and thousands of office workers were evacuated or kept trapped in their buildings after a gunman stormed the Lindt Chocolate Cafe in the CBD about 9.40am.

I couldn't get back in to that link, I had to log back in but it times out :/
So I googled and got this one, but with no name.

AN Iranian self-styled sheik who sent offensive letters to the families of dead Diggers and is on bail for accessory to murder was last night holding 15 people hostage in a Sydney cafe.

The 49-year-old, who lives in Sydney’s southwest, stormed the Lindt cafe in Martin Place yesterday morning, brandishing a sawn-off shotgun and sparking one of the biggest hostage dramas in the nation’s history.

The heart of Australia’s biggest city was locked down and thousands of office workers were evacuated or kept trapped in their buildings after a gunman stormed the Lindt Chocolate Cafe in the CBD about 9.40am.

I couldn't get back in to that link, I had to log back in but it times out :/
So I googled and got this one, but with no name.

Thanks humdinger. I googled and it gave me this link, which comes up as subscriber only when you try the link, but googling a phrase got me in. :)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-...-night-of-horror/story-fnqxbywy-1227157361055

As someone said before, this pic is going to end up being a most remembered pic from the first 12 hours.

360898-f6a125b8-8438-11e4-a8d6-4d3e748ac3ce.jpg

Update just now on ABC on Haron, stating naming him is sanctioned plus his past crimes.

How the HELL is this man even in our country????? Like WHO let him in here? Why was not deported over the murder of his wife?

wwwtttfffff

Just watching ABC a minute ago, they were stating police are STILL urging people not to publish his identity.

If people die because of it, I wonder if they'll think it's worth the extra circulation. :|

eta: Just saw that police have said it's ok to discuss. Still, I hope there's no backlash.

With that said, read how he murdered his ex wife. Horrific. Just . awful. I am even more scared for those people now.

Daily Telegraph is getting heaps over it on twitter

Just out of curiosity, can anyone find out when his website was published? (I swear I don't own any hats made from alfoil)

I don't know what to think about the media naming him. I hope it has been sanctioned by LE.
Watching BBC news when they name him then it's ok IMO they are quite cautious

Gunman named as Man Haron Monis - also known as Sheik Haron

Man Haron Monis - also known as Sheik Haron - has been named as the gunman holding up to 15 people hostage in a Sydney café and is believed to be an Islamic State preacher who is on bail for accessory to murder.
The 49-year-old man lives in southwest Sydney, but is originally from Iran and a self-proclaimed sheik, has previously accused the families of Australian dead soldiers of being murderers and also been charged with sexual assault, according to The Daily Telegraph.
Arriving as a refugee in Australia in 1996, the hostage taker was charged with accessory - both before and after the fact - for the murder of his ex-wife - who was allegedly stabbed and set on fire on a flight of stairs in her apartment building in Sydney.
The man's current partner was charged with murder but they both received bail as the case was deemed too weak.

Gunman named as Man Haron Monis - also known as Sheik Haron

Man Haron Monis - also known as Sheik Haron - has been named as the gunman holding up to 15 people hostage in a Sydney café and is believed to be an Islamic State preacher who is on bail for accessory to murder.
The 49-year-old man lives in southwest Sydney, but is originally from Iran and a self-proclaimed sheik, has previously accused the families of Australian dead soldiers of being murderers and also been charged with sexual assault, according to The Daily Telegraph.
Arriving as a refugee in Australia in 1996, the hostage taker was charged with accessory - both before and after the fact - for the murder of his ex-wife - who was allegedly stabbed and set on fire on a flight of stairs in her apartment building in Sydney.
The man's current partner was charged with murder but they both received bail as the case was deemed too weak.

Thank you.

ABC has reported his identity, but just made a statement that they won't discuss his past in detail, nor speculate on what it might indicate about his motives.

Good old Aunty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members