Found Deceased Australia - Melissa Caddick, 49, Sydney, NSW, 12 Nov 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any information on whom the tradie was that frequented the property or lived in the property. Or was this simply AK? Was it a tradie? A bag drop?
I feel that the police should make enquiries on the owner of the vehicle in front of the house on google street view on:
November 15 (old white unmarked Toyota) and; December 18. (newer white VW Caddy van)
Different unmarked vehicles with very similar or identical equipment on the roof , roof racks and tie down system.
On November 15 the tradie can be seen walking into the front of the house.
Once would be a coincidence. But to be spotted a second time three years later means this person was connected to this property.
What was their trade? was any vehicle in the area that looked like this at the time of the disappearance?
View attachment 289999View attachment 290001View attachment 290000
Q Looking at the shoes, they’re not the boots of a plumber, pest controller or electrician. I’d guess a fire alarm installer/checker IMO

Q Looking at the shoes, they’re not the boots of a plumber, pest controller or electrician. I’d guess a fire alarm installer/checker IMO
I find it interesting that going back through the years at both addresses on google street view there are white unmarked commercial vehicles clearly related to her properties... at Dover heights on one year the guy is entering her house. Another year same equipment and different van... At old address she is leaving the house and going toward the vehicle....
money drops? USB exchanges? Or just lots of maintenance in expensive homes???
Either way they need to be investigated...

I find it interesting that going back through the years at both addresses on google street view there are white unmarked commercial vehicles clearly related to her properties... at Dover heights on one year the guy is entering her house. Another year same equipment and different van... At old address she is leaving the house and going toward the vehicle....
It would be interesting to know who Melissa hired and for what and why (just to know more about her life, IMO, and the way she went about things).

Just re the Volkswagen Caddy in Dec 2018: next door - No.3 - there's a sign on the front fence for a building and renovation company, and a development application had been approved in 2016 for various work at that location (DAs can be searched at the Council website). IMO it's possible the man might have been working next door in 2018, instead of at Melissa's?

Street View looking towards the building/renovation sign on next door's front fence, Dec 2018: Google Maps

Melissa Caddick’s $8m windfall after tip-off ignored by ASIC (smh.com.au)

A sombre story of how the authorities formed and paid to regulate this stuff took their own sweet time to investigate Melissa, and let the whole ridiculous scam slide on through for another round of lifting big sums of money of folks who thought they were dealing with the genuine thing.

Interestingly, Melissa was putting feelers out for loans right left and centre , obviously from the kind of places one wouldn't entertain in one's woodshed, lenders of the last resort, lenders as dodgy as Melissa, if the truth be told. There is a sort of karmic aura in those efforts.

It's not as if ASIC wasn't given a solid heads up about Melissa. Whether there is any penalty to be paid for the ASIC sloth in reacting to the plain as day negative reports remains to be seen. I suspect ASIC will get a tap on the wrist, nothing more.

Just asking... does this mean that due to ASIC not actioning the complaint in November 2019 that any investor who joined after then would be entitled to compensation from ASIC? I’m sure the Investors who lost the $7.8 million think they should be!!
Apparently the courts have held that "ASIC does not owe a duty of care to investors whose interests it exists to protect". KWM | Storm investors’ class action against ASIC fails: Lock v Australian Securities and Investments Commission [2016] FCA 31

Although interesting its the same business, It could just be, During weekdays, the streets of Sydney’s more expensive suburbs are filled with trades of all kinds making updates and maintenance of these nice homes (My partner is a tradie and I notice this when I kindly arrive in these suburbs with forgotten lunches)

The mysterious case of Melissa Caddick, her disappearance and the missing millions (theage.com.au)

How it began....,

Her boss recalls his assistant as being organised, efficient and reliable. Although there were only the two of them in the office, she dressed immaculately. “Her manicured presentation seemed suited to a job she aspired to, rather than the job she had,” says the former boss.

After Caddick had been there about six months, someone from the firm’s interstate head office queried discrepancies showing up between invoices and payments. When copies of the cheques for the suspicious payments were located at a National Australia Bank branch in Pitt Street in Sydney’s CBD, it became clear that Caddick had been forging her boss’s signature. Shown the cheques, a look of “I’m done” crossed the then 27-year-old’s face. “We can escalate it or you can leave immediately,” he offered.

Caddick made a hasty departure, packing her personal belongings into her designer handbag. “It was a clean exit, no lawyers, no police, no nothing,” her former boss says. She’d stolen a petty amount, less than $2000. She didn’t offer to repay it – and rather than going to the trouble of calling the police, the firm didn’t ask her to. It was just happy to see the back of Melissa Caddick. That, with hindsight, was a crying shame: a criminal record might have forestalled what was to come.

( and how it ended, with the bones of your foot enclosed in a running shoe on a deserted beach 400klms south of home ) ..

A deeply unpleasant story, about a deeply unpleasant person..
stealing the butter knife.. how trashy.

Someone did that to me, once. At a dinner party, I bunged one on for my partner, and most of them were from law enforcement , of some type, either techies or plods on the street, and yet one of their wives just swiped my one and only Clarice Cliff plate.. astounding, really.

The deepest unpleasantness to my mind was the incapacity Melissa had for restraint. She stole and scammed a lot of money to buy her minor son a slice of Sydney respectability , and, vicariously, an expectation, or even an entitlement that the respectability and status the son acquired from his private school would rub off on her, yet, for all this, all that planning, and schmoozing, and donating, and doing all the parent teacher thingy, drinkies at sundown with the headmaster, she could not stop herself from fouling her own nest by trying to scam a mother of the sons schoolfriend.

I found that aspect of the entire litany of crimes committed the one most ridiculous of them all.

Apparently the courts have held that "ASIC does not owe a duty of care to investors whose interests it exists to protect". KWM | Storm investors’ class action against ASIC fails: Lock v Australian Securities and Investments Commission [2016] FCA 31
It goes back to the Latin phrase , that covers all commerce... Caveat emptor,,,, 'let the buyer beware.'... at any sticky point in a court case where someone was ripped off to the max, that phrase will be told to them with a lift of the eyebrows and absolutely no sympathy whatsoever.

The mysterious case of Melissa Caddick, her disappearance and the missing millions (theage.com.au)

How it began....,

Her boss recalls his assistant as being organised, efficient and reliable. Although there were only the two of them in the office, she dressed immaculately. “Her manicured presentation seemed suited to a job she aspired to, rather than the job she had,” says the former boss.

After Caddick had been there about six months, someone from the firm’s interstate head office queried discrepancies showing up between invoices and payments. When copies of the cheques for the suspicious payments were located at a National Australia Bank branch in Pitt Street in Sydney’s CBD, it became clear that Caddick had been forging her boss’s signature. Shown the cheques, a look of “I’m done” crossed the then 27-year-old’s face. “We can escalate it or you can leave immediately,” he offered.

Caddick made a hasty departure, packing her personal belongings into her designer handbag. “It was a clean exit, no lawyers, no police, no nothing,” her former boss says. She’d stolen a petty amount, less than $2000. She didn’t offer to repay it – and rather than going to the trouble of calling the police, the firm didn’t ask her to. It was just happy to see the back of Melissa Caddick. That, with hindsight, was a crying shame: a criminal record might have forestalled what was to come.

( and how it ended, with the bones of your foot enclosed in a running shoe on a deserted beach 400klms south of home ) ..
Great work by Kate McClymont.

I wonder who was the fraudster who scammed Melissa in her twenties.

Fantastic article, Trooper, thanks for posting. It’s helped join the dots and given us a few missing pieces of this bizaare jigsaw puzzle.
lots of missing pieces, BV... I have reservations about the NSW police... their general air of vagueness and peculiar disinterest, particularly the bit where Our Mick says , oh yes, that's where a foot would end up, we always knew that, and then he says, ..ah.. well. maybe it is a bit of a mystery... the very long lag time between ASIC taking up the cudgels on behalf of the suspicious investor way back.. the actual raid itself where they take the camera.. that bit doesn't sit right with me.

Melissa appeared to be amping up her strike rate those last few months.. . borrowing from here, 'doing deals ' there, seeking new clients, flirting with secret lenders. . . a certain kind of reckless haste seemed to have entered into the game, IMO...

Fantastic article by Kate McClymont. At last! The details of early life fill in the picture. As others have surmised, there was the Inciting Incident (romance con). But she was always aspirational according to a childhood friend (who she conned later). I suspect a life of stealing, from early years on up. That aspect hasn’t been reported but it’s my belief.
I’ve told the story here of my Narcissistic (diagnosed) friend who no longer can come to my house because of their secret stealing from my displayed items and art supplies. There is a need to take from others who they perceive have more than they deserve. It is sick and they can’t change. The empathy chip is missing. Only THEY matter.

How it began....,

its good to read such an indepth article and it explains a lot, and the dishonesty seems to have been triggered after she was hurt and conned in her 20s by a romance scam, also explains where she possibly got the deposit/equity to start buying property, from her divorce settlement

its good to read such an indepth article and it explains a lot, and the dishonesty seems to have been triggered after she was hurt and conned in her 20s by a romance scam, also explains where she possibly got the deposit/equity to start buying property, from her divorce settlement
'
'In her early twenties, Caddick was left emotionally and financially devastated after a romance scam. She was still living at home in Lugarno when she began dating a man she’d met at Friday night drinks in a pub in the city. “Money and various things were going missing from the family home,” recalls Joanna.

The private investigator hired by her parents discovered the man was a con artist who had previously preyed on naïve young women. “When they confronted Melissa with this, she went berserk,” recalls Joanna.

“She didn’t believe them and ran away with him.” Her brother Adam rang Joanna begging her “to try to talk some sense into Melissa”. She thought it best to let her friend work things out.

Not long after, Melissa returned home. “He’d maxed out her credit cards,” Joanna says. “He’d got what he wanted and didn’t need her any more.” Caddick was distraught and is believed to have suffered some kind of a breakdown. But while she’d learnt a valuable lesson, it wasn’t the one her friends and family imagined'

I took that in a totally different light!.. that she , and this earlier crook were in the scam together, a practice run, so to speak, and like a hell of a lot of scammers she was scammed by her partner... The dead giveaway is that stuff went missing from the family home, who would know where the stuff was except Melissa?..

Which is why she probably never went into a dodgy partnership again ... unless she held all the leashes, papers, and numbers... her process after this was as a solo flyer, and so that was a very valuable and profitable lesson, one she never appeared to deviate from for the rest of her life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Letters