Australia Australia - Melissa Caddick, 49, Sydney, NSW, 12 Nov 2020 *without money, phone*

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by *Verdigris, Nov 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *Verdigris

*Verdigris MaeSai MuPa Miracle 〜❤︎ อู๊ด ⚽️ OINK!❤︎〜

There is no mention of a car, so she seemingly didn't drive away...

Appeal to find missing woman - Dover Heights
    more at police.nsw.gov.au link

Several other links:

9 News Sydney

Police Appeal For Public Assistance To Find Missing Sydney Woman

DM Headline:
    Wealthy businesswoman vanishes from her $7million clifftop Sydney mansion wearing activewear and without her phone – as husband makes desperate plea six days later
    Managing director Melissa Caddick not seen or heard from since November 12 who left Dover Heights home in jogging gear

Hunt continues for missing businesswoman who vanished from Sydney home as husband issues plea | Daily Mail Online

Police appeal to find missing woman - Dover Heights

Hunt passes for the missing businesswoman who has disappeared from the Sydney home while the husband makes a plea

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/t...ing-businesswoman-melissa-caddick/news-story/

Re: the DailyTelegraph - subscription only (I haven't read it).
    Also, I can't find husband's "desperate plea" video - perhaps it's only in the DailyTelegraph link.

She's been gone nearly a week...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Alcina, Andieinsyd, cass523 and 15 others like this.

2. *Verdigris

3. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Well-Known Member

4. Panda

Panda Well-Known Member

As soon as I read about this in the Daily Mail, the first thing I thought of was Allison Baden-Clay. I do hope I'm barking up the wrong tree, however the fact she wasn't reported missing for 24 hours and the husband's comments "We’ve been married seven years, we’ve known each other a long time" just rang alarm bells for me. I do hope I'm wrong.

5. Pepper77

Pepper77 Well-Known Member

This case reminds me a lot of Madeline Bigatton ... her age is similar, as is her appearance, she was under investigation (except in Madeline's case it was her husband under investigation) ...

6. Panda

Panda Well-Known Member

From the Daily Mail:

"Mother-of-one Melissa Caddick, 49, was last seen at her Dover Heights mansion in Sydney's eastern suburbs just after midnight last Thursday.
    She is believed to have left her $7 million clifftop home about 5.30am wearing jogging gear, police said."

I wonder who last saw her just after midnight and why it is believed she left home at 5.30am wearing jogging gear. There was no mention of any children of the couple living at the house, nor anyone else in the house apart from her husband. Either her husband managed to know with certainty that her jogging gear was missing, or she regularly jogs each morning, leaving the house at 5.30am.

I find it very strange that she would not be reported missing for 24 hours when it was known that she didn't take any money, her mobile or personal possessions with her when she supposedly left the house, unless she normally jogged for 24 hours straight, which of course she wouldn't. If her husband was thinking she had committed suicide because ASIC had lodged legal proceedings against her, one would think that would be even more reason to contact the authorities before she had been missing for 24 hours.

Dover Heights is an extremely expensive, prestigious area. It would be quite unusual if the house did not have security surveillance cameras in this day and age.

7. aust amateur slueth

aust amateur slueth Well-Known Member

Police now hold concerns for the wealthy businesswoman’s welfare and her husband AK has made a distraught plea for her return.

“It’s really hard, I’m very worried, all I want is for her to be found. We’ve been married seven years, we’ve known each other a long time,” he told The Daily Telegraph.

“I’m doing everything to help detectives find her, it’s really hard, I just want to find her. Right now I’m chasing every lead possible, all I want is to find her.”

Millionaire businesswoman’s mysterious disappearance

I’m not liking the husbands ‘plea’ - “it’s really hard”( which is repeated later on), “I’m very worried” and the continual ‘her’ rather than using Melissas name. Then there’s the “We’ve been married seven years, we’ve known each other a long time” - how long they have been married or known each other isn’t relevant. Plus the I, I, I (it’s all about him)

And the real kicker is - not once does he appeal directly to Melissa.

and she wasn’t reported missing for 24 hours

the legal proceedings against her could also be a big reason why she is missing

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2020
  8. Panda

Panda Well-Known Member

If the legal proceedings against her could be a reason why she's missing: (a) if she was alive and took off somewhere, she would have her phone, money, clothes etc; (b) if it was suicide because of the proceedings, why would the husband wait 24 hours before contacting the police? You would think he would be absolutely frantic.

I totally agree about the husband's plea. It reminds me of Christopher Watt's plea when Shanann was supposedly missing. I got the impression the reference to the 7 years was so to throw people off (he couldn't possibly have anything to do with Melissa's disappearance because he's known her for 7 years, which apparently is a long time. A long time in a marriage/de-facto relationship would be 20 years + in my opinion. Seven years is nothing in the scheme of time together compared to 20, 30 or 40 years).

I also noticed they aren't "married" only de-facto as they use separate names, unless they are married but Melissa chose to use her maiden name. If so, why? Why didn't they get married and lived together instead, or why did Melissa choose to use her maiden name, if that was the case. (I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with choosing to live in a de-facto relationship instead of marrying. Just trying to nut out the circumstances of this case).

Apparently there is one daughter. I wonder if she is Melissa's daughter from another relationship, or her daughter with AK.

There was a big emphasis on Melissa being a Managing Director of a company but no reference to AK's work. There was also emphasis on the fact that Melissa owned the home: "She is believed to have left her $7 million clifftop home ... "

A lot of little niggling things about this case. I smell a rat though.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2020
  9. Sillybilly

Sillybilly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Please read The Rules that you've all agreed to when you joined Websleuths.

Do not sleuth anyone who has not been officially named a POI or suspect by law enforcement. Members may discuss what has been said in MSM about them, or what they themselves have said in MSM, but sleuthing out their personal and background information is not allowed unless/until such time as they are a named POI.

Also, use initials for individuals who are not either a victim or an officially named POI.

10. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

I had to look up Dover Heights.....I lived in Sydney in my teenage years (St Ives and Wahroonga), I certainly remember Vaucluse and Rose Bay....but not Dover Heights, though it may have been developed after I left.

I am going to follow this case. I agree with others that the husband's plea ....seems a bit off, ...not to mention the delayed missing report.

alexwood, Estelle, Andieinsyd and 9 others like this.
  11. margarita25

margarita25 “Science, Solutions and Solidarity” - Dr. Tedros

12. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

I wonder if neighborhood home security cameras can show Melissa out jogging and perhaps which direction she took that morning.

13. Panda

Panda Well-Known Member

Got it, thanks. It's been a while since I read the rules so I'll re-read them for a refresher.

14. *Verdigris

...and my first thought went to Karen Ristevski.
    So, we're on the same track.

Husband took a day to report. A week to make a"desperate plea".
    (Seems something like SM(orphew's) husband. it was "too soon" )

So, with the dollar $ign$ in the articles and considering the finacial havoc Covid has caused - this doesn't sound good.
    Of course, yes, could be voluntarily missing due to the legal proceedings; maybe they've even planned it together.

I'm not reading that she was despondent or somesuch, in the days leading up to her going missing - but there are cliffs to be jumped (or dumped) from, in Dover Heights. Can take a while (or never) for the sea to return a body.
    (It took a while for Elisa Curry's body to wash up again. :( )

There are so many holes, still.
    She may have left around 05:30, in jogging attire - seen by whom?
    Of course there is more that's not being said.
    And surely there is something (perhaps lots) on surveillance cameras in the area. So, seems like I'll be sitting on my hands for a while, until they release more of what is known.
    But, usually, when it's a missing person case, all sorts of information flying from all directions. When it's a criminal investigation, it's a tiny trickle, slim pickins on any info.
    jmo

Andieinsyd, insanity, j_in_c and 10 others like this.
  15. *Verdigris

16. *Verdigris

Wow, I forgot all about that case.
    Yes, kinda similar, isn't it?
    I hope the difference will be that Melissa is found, soon.
    I remember Madeline's case when it happened, but didn't follow it.
    So, she's never been found? :(
    I think I will go look back at that one again.

All these cases are so very sad.
    Especially for the children involved.

imoo

alexwood, Andieinsyd, Morrisa and 3 others like this.
  17. *Verdigris

...sorry all, please forgive my multiple posts as I am catching up!

Millionaire businesswoman’s mysterious disappearance

Can someone embed that video on here?
    It won't play for me (I still need to update my iPad.)
    I checked YouTube, it's not on there, either.
    Please? ty

18. Panda

Panda Well-Known Member

Sorry I have no idea how to imbed the video, without the entire article. The video isn't anything to do with the case anyway. It's just a general blurb on missing people and who to contact. There have been no actual videos on this case released as far as I have been able to tell. I've scoured every media outlet and there is nothing. I initially presumed the husband's "plea" was made by video, but apparently not.

19. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Well-Known Member

Hi from Oz Margarita! Hope the COVID situation improves over there soon :)

I hope this isn't another one of those cases involving the husband. I don't feel it with this situation, but how many times does it turn out that way? I hope she is okay somewhere and taking some time out.

20. Panda

Panda Well-Known Member

Missing Dover Heights woman Melissa Caddick raided by AFP, hit with court order before vanishing | Daily Mail Online

Latest Daily Mail article about the case. I have to say, it's now looking more like she intentionally disappeared. Suicide could be a distinct possibility. Perhaps her husband didn't report her missing for 24 hours because he was busy elsewhere and didn't realise she hadn't come home. As far as the timeline goes, maybe a neighbour saw her leave the house at around 5:30 in her jogging gear. The fact that she didn't have any personal effects on her at the time she went missing is alarming in any case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.