Australia, - Missing persons week 1st August 2021, 500 sets remains

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Resources' started by TootsieFootsie, Jul 13, 2021.

1. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

No Cookies | Gold Coast Bulletin

On August 1, the Australian Federal Police and Queensland Police Service will launch the first Family of Missing Persons Day, marking the start of National Missing Persons Week.

The event, to be held at the State Library of Queensland from 10am to 4pm, is part of a massive project to create national databases that can link missing person information with unidentified human remains.

There are 500 sets of remains yet to be identified. Should have put Queensland in the title.

Relatives of missing people are asked to bring toothbrushes, photos etc of the missing people.

Behind Paywall

2. TootsieFootsie

No Cookies | The Chronicle

In an Australian first, Queensland families with missing loved ones will be able to provide their DNA to help identify our unknown and missing Australians.

From August 1, the Australian Federal Police and Queensland Police Service will launch the first ever Family of Missing Persons Day, to coincide
    with National Missing Persons Week.

The aim of the National DNA Program is to apply a suite of existing and new forensic techniques to hundreds of unidentified human remains, in an effort to assist state and territory police in resolving cases of long-term missing persons.

A recent audit of cases stored at police, mortuary and forensic facilities has confirmed there are more than 500 unidentified people across Australia. Many of these human remains were discovered decades ago, with some cases dating back more than 50 years.

imstilla.grandma and Via Marple like this.
  3. MissUnderstood

MissUnderstood Well-Known Member

Wow! I didn’t realise we had so many unidentified remains in Aus! Hoping some families get some long awaited answers

4. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

Neither did I. I just came across this article by happenstance. Thank you @TootsieFootsie for launching this thread. I have several Aussie members I really like, including you. I almost consider myself a quasi Australian…

These missing people are highlighted in the article:
    upload_2021-8-2_6-1-36.jpeg
    Sister speaks out 16 years after brother's disappearance

5. TootsieFootsie

imstilla.grandma likes this.