GUILTY Australia - Newborn found in drain, Sydney, 23 Nov 2014

A name was the first gift I gave to my children when I met them. This monster does not deserve that privilege. I hope the baby's adoptive parents lovingly give him the gift of his name when they meet him for the first time.

Please imagine knowing your baby is slowly dying metres away from where YOU are in a warm bed, eating dinner and watching TV for 5 days.

I bet she got a shock that he was found alive after so long.

NOT LOST BUT YOU PUT HIM THERE AND YOU SIMPLY WALKED AWAY !!

The baby was just hours away from having a name on a grave. What a gracious act to give your baby a name after putting the baby through a small hole and letting it drop 2.4 meters.

My skin crawls.

Yeah, I don't understand why she got to name the baby either. If I was that baby growing up, I don't think I'd want the name given to me by someone who tried to kill me at one day old. I'm kind of hoping the mother's got some psych or IQ problems - how do you give birth at a hospital and then think you can get away with murdering the baby?

BBM

Keli Lane?

BBM

Keli Lane?

Exactly. It's a dumb idea, aside from the obvious cruelty. If this woman dumped her baby like that because it was an inconvenience to her then I have zero sympathy for her. Actually, I'm horrified anyone could let a baby suffer like that for any reason. That's why I kind of hope there's something seriously mental going on (but I don't think so) because it's too hard to comprehend that kind of cruelty. I feel bad if I leave my cat alone overnight. Just leave the baby at the hospital for goodness sake. This is Australia - a baby is lucky to get adopted here and there's loads of people who would adopt him.

Exactly. It's a dumb idea, aside from the obvious cruelty. If this woman dumped her baby like that because it was an inconvenience to her then I have zero sympathy for her. Actually, I'm horrified anyone could let a baby suffer like that for any reason. That's why I kind of hope there's something seriously mental going on (but I don't think so) because it's too hard to comprehend that kind of cruelty. I feel bad if I leave my cat alone overnight. Just leave the baby at the hospital for goodness sake. This is Australia - a baby is lucky to get adopted here and there's loads of people who would adopt him.

GREAT POST BRIGHTBIRD
Straight from the heart.

:fireworks:

Such a miracle this little one survived!

His ears have been mentioned as appearing low set. I couldn't help but recall the one baby in the "Colt" incest family that passed from Zellweger syndrome, which includes low set ears. I sure hope incest is not a factor here, but it is puzzling why a 30 year old woman with an apparent support system would abandon her baby. Then again, as others have mentioned, there is Keli Lane....

Such a miracle this little one survived!

His ears have been mentioned as appearing low set. I couldn't help but recall the one baby in the "Colt" incest family that passed from Zellweger syndrome, which includes low set ears. I sure hope incest is not a factor here, but it is puzzling why a 30 year old woman with an apparent support system would abandon her baby. Then again, as others have mentioned, there is Keli Lane....

Interesting thought Hoosgirl. Mum could have come to Australia to have the baby. She was living with relatives and the father might be back in Samoa.
I'd be interested to know how long she's been in Aus.

Interesting thought Hoosgirl. Mum could have come to Australia to have the baby. She was living with relatives and the father might be back in Samoa.
I'd be interested to know how long she's been in Aus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eveals-large-frame-helped-hide-pregnancy.html

The woman's aunt said the girl had come from Samoa to live in Australia at least 10 years ago, and was 'very religious' and the daughter of a church minister back in her home country.

And this is why I raised my child to literally have no shame. She has a conscience ofc, but there's nothing she can do that she cannot come and tell me about. I taught her that -even if she knows it'll make me angry - she should come to me with her problems or concerns, or for advice, or just to talk. Because people can express anger and disappointment, if you do something they don't approve of, but her mum will always love her 100% no matter what. There's nothing we cannot work through, together (once I calm down).

So far, it's paid off. I'm finding her a teenager who is very self-regulating and open about things. Sometimes TOO open. Omg, there's things a parent simply does NOT want to hear about.. Bless her. But yeah, I often see in cases where girls (usually younger than this!) have done this same thing, and there's *always* a hyper judgemental parent in the mix.

That's why I was kind of "Oh I see.." when the whole minister thing came up. Of course, I'm just assuming. But I have to wonder what home life she had, to make her act in such an unthinking, unfeeling, selfish way. It's all about self-preservation, and that comes from a perception of devastating shame and rejection. Very often, anyway.

Call to Change Laws

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/austra...ter-baby-left-5-days-in-storm-drain-1.2846669

''Helen Polley, a senator in the opposition Labor Party, said the near-tragedy could have been avoided if emergency hatches were rolled out at Australian hospitals, police and fire stations where babies could be safely abandoned.

She called for the repeal of laws that make child abandonment a criminal offence, which she said encourage the problem to be hidden."

Maybe this case will have some positive outcomes.

Drain baby mother's case due in court
Friday, 28 November 2014

A mother accused of leaving her newborn baby to die in a Sydney drain will again have her case mentioned in court.

The 30-year-old is scheduled to have her case mentioned at Penrith Local Court on Friday, just days after it was brought before Blacktown Local Court.

The boy is believed to have been born in the early hours of Tuesday last week before being put through a drain's narrow opening at Quakers Hill in Sydney's west and dropped about 2.4 metres.

If the boy had not been discovered police doubt he would have survived that weekend's 40C temperatures.

Police say the woman, who has been charged with attempted murder, has made full admissions of putting the infant down the drain knowing it may kill him.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/national/2014/11/28/drain-baby-mother-s-case-due-in-court.html

Newborn in drain: mother followed best practice protocols leaving hospital early
A woman who allegedly dumped her baby in a drain within hours of giving birth followed NSW Health's best practice protocols in her decision to leave hospital soon after delivery.

A trend towards shorter postnatal stays in hospital has been growing for decades and is among the aims of NSW Health's "Towards Normal Birth" directive to simplify childbirth.

Hospitals are encouraged to discharge women from hospital four to 48 hours after the birth, provided that they had normal pregnancies, uncomplicated vaginal births, healthy babies and family support at home.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/newborn-i...s-leaving-hospital-early-20141125-11tpe7.html

I love how they try to make it out to be the best thing for the mothers and babies, when a lot of the time is really is not -- they just want the beds freed up, I reckon. Even 16 years ago, they tried to give me the bums rush after I had my DD. No way. They had to wedge me out of that hospital bed with a crowbar. I put my foot down for two extra days and got them, and I was very glad I did. Those first few days are scary, especially for first time mothers and people without extensive support systems. I think there's no way this is about mothers ans babies, if it was they'd have a policy allowing those to go home who wish to, and those who need to stay are not effing harassed and made to feel bad about needing extra time.

Does anyone really think this 'baby chute' idea will really serve a purpose to this uncommon occurrence and I wonder if these type laundry chutes will be checked regularly. What the hell would the design look like-a cage or a big letterbox with a sign saying "please place your baby here".

They have recently added them in Canada and they do have the advantage that there are no questions asked.

Tthere are photos at this link on how the '' hatches '' look

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_hatch

Thanks for that newone. I am gobsmacked that our society has come to this.
I couldn't contemplate walking away from my baby and leaving it alone when everyday mothers watch over over their babies like they are the most precious thing on earth.

I think the baby hatches are attached to hospitals etc and trigger an alarm so staff will know if a baby is placed in one and can come and get them straight away. They are usually temp controlled as well (from memory)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back