Australia - NSW - Worst bushfire days in years.

I can't go to sleep, I keep on checking on fire info...

I saw snow today (yep I'm in VIC), looked out the window and saw fresh snow on the mountains in the distance, snow down to 1000m today down here. It makes it so hard for me to get my head around that this can be happening whilst I stoke my fire only 8 or so hours away!

I just can't imagine how everyone is coping. Take care Guys!

Yes it was a wintery day here. We had heavy hail this afternoon in the city and I cranked the heater up. It's so unusual to have fires this bad before summer has even started.

Fruity, hope all is going ok for your family.

I hope this ends soon for you guys. It's too bad that nobody can put water bucket out large enough for emus. That's gotta be scary for every animal in that area. Hopefully loss of life across the board will be non existent.

Yes it was a wintery day here. We had heavy hail this afternoon in the city and I cranked the heater up. It's so unusual to have fires this bad before summer has even started.

Fruity, hope all is going ok for your family.

I can't think of any brush fires happening during the winter here in the U.S. Australia has a lot more brush than America I guess.

Salvos have launched a relief appeal ... details on their website.

I can't think of any brush fires happening during the winter here in the U.S. Australia has a lot more brush than America I guess.

We had a very wet winter, lots of grasses and undergrowth to burn. We try to keep it cleared, but these fires are early (Spring here now) and all the clearing hasn't happened yet.

We had a very wet winter, lots of grasses and undergrowth to burn. We try to keep it cleared, but these fires are early (Spring here now) and all the clearing hasn't happened yet.

I'm not saying your wrong. You know a lot more about where you live than I do, but wouldn't a wet winter make it harder for brush fires to ignite?

I'm not saying your wrong. You know a lot more about where you live than I do, but wouldn't a wet winter make it harder for brush fires to ignite?

Unfortunately no ... it never stays very wet here. Lots of rain, then lots of sunshine too. Perfect for plant growth and then it dries quickly.

Catastrophic conditions for bushfires for us.

Watching on TV now ... most of the growth that is burning is green, just not 'wet' enough (if that makes sense).

ETA: At this time of year fires may have ignited in fallen leaves (I have a few of them blowing around my garden) and the blooms on my wattle tree are drying and dropping, along with the dry seedy stuff that falls from them. Swept up quite a pile on the w/e and used it for dried mulch on garden beds.

And of course, there are always those sicko firebugs who think it is fun to start fires and cause mass destruction.

If we can learn anything from the Black Saturday Fires, it is to evacuate on the FIRST warning. Your chances of survival are significantly diminished if you choose to stay behind and protect your home. People often believe they have more time than they do and become trapped, the temperament of these fires are so unpredictable and fierce. Smoke inhalation is extremely fatal - you need to get away from the fumes immediately.

Sky news: 2 firefighters in Concord Burns Unit Hospital being treated for moderare to serious burns.

Unfortunately no ... it never stays very wet here. Lots of rain, then lots of sunshine too. Perfect for plant growth and then it dries quickly.

Watching on TV now ... most of the growth that is burning is green, just not 'wet' enough (if that makes sense).

At this time of year fires may have ignited in fallen leaves (I have a few of them blowing around my garden) and the blooms on my wattle tree are drying and dropping, along with the dry seedy stuff that falls from them. Swept up quite a pile on the w/e and used it for dried mulch on garden beds.

And of course, there are always those sicko firebugs who think it is fun to start fires and cause mass destruction.

Green growth burns surprisingly well, and ferociously!

So sad about the burnt fire fighters...

12:25am: Residents across NSW are asked to make a Bush Fire Survival Plan.

NSW RFS has posted this advice for areas under threat:

"With multiple fires in the area, please postpone non-essential travel to keep the roads clear for firefighting efforts.

Follow your Bush Fire Survival Plan. If you do not have a Bush Fire Survival Plan, ensure you know what you will do if the fire threatens your property.

Only well prepared and actively defended homes can offer safety. If you plan to leave, or you are not prepared and there is a safer place nearby, leave now if it is safe to do so."

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-bushfires-rage-live-updates-20131017-2vo14.html#ixzz2hzC60j47

They were just showing pics of mothers going crazy with worry this arvo .. children stuck at school .. mums couldn't get to them as roads were cut off .. school buses standing by to get the kids as soon as firefighters could clear a path.

Other parents couldn't find their kids, who had been evacuated at school.

So frightening.

970171-66a03406-370c-11e3-9051-f1cffb9afa3c.jpg

The smoke from the bushfires sits above the city of Sydney on a hot day with extreme winds

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...rry-o8217farrell/story-fni0cx12-1226741636446

October 18, 2013 12:45AM

HUNDREDS of homes are feared destroyed and Premier Barry O'Farrell believes it will be a miracle if no lives are lost in the most grave bushfire crisis to hit the state in a decade. While the extent of the devastation was unclear on Thursday night, one of the worst-hit areas was Springwood, in the Blue Mountains, where up to 30 homes were known to be lost.

But when the ashes settle, the number of destroyed or damaged properties across the state is expected to be much worse

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...rry-o8217farrell/story-fni0cx12-1226741636446

One fire travelled 25km (15.5 miles) today, another fire travelled 13km (8 miles) this afternoon.

I get it. There may be enough stuff to be dry and start it and then becomes so hot that it dries the green as it moves on. Just a guess.

It was already dry, we had record high temperatures for September and October, but it is early for bush fires and closer to Sydney than usual .. anyway we are all on edge, and it's a vast country, the area with snow are nowhere near the areas with fire, and yes people are putting water out for animals.

Updates this morning say Sydney is pretty much surrounded by a ring of fires. Fires heading northward, fears are now for the central coast areas. Blue Mountains areas still under great threat. Thousands of people affected. Weather conditions expected to ease today.

I know we have WSers in those areas too. Stay safe everyone!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back