Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #5 *charges*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dentures are made to fit an individual mouth. Dentists take moulds of the mouth and dental technicians use those to make the dentures. I guess somewhere in that process individual records are retained which can allow/assist identification.

To find dentures but not a jaw or a skull?
A ring but not a finger bone?

These items are not eatable by animals iykwim?
Surely LE will find clothing or shoes in the grave?

This is so shocking to have happened to an elderly couple just enjoying a quite time with nature.

Last edited:
They haven't revealed what human remains they have found, maybe the jaw and skull etc were part of what was found.

To find dentures but not a jaw or a skull!

I lurked for several years, but I only became a member last year when Covid meant that I needed a new hobby!

It’s a nice hobby! And great that you’re discussing now. Haha, I’m surprised I stayed away during most of the lockdowns!

I have to take regular breaks, but I especially took a long break from reading about cases after the CSK was convicted - I worked in the area at the time (JR used to come into my work, everyone knew everyone, went to the same places). The mystery puzzled me for years - I started revisiting WS the year before WAPol solved it, wondering if we’d ever get an answer, then..!! So proud of them.

Anyway it’s nice to stop lurking, even if it means y’all are reading these off-topic monologues sometimes..? Ha, sorry :)

@JBowie, that would indeed be interesting, in a gruesome way. I was thinking that might be why he took them to be buried there, if that was his particular "graveyard". But that can't be so, can it, seeing he tried to leave by the Myrtleford gate?

Last edited:
It’s a nice hobby! And great that you’re discussing now. Haha, I’m surprised I stayed away during most of the lockdowns!

I have to take regular breaks, but I especially took a long break from reading about cases after the CSK was convicted - I worked in the area at the time (JR used to come into my work, everyone knew everyone, went to the same places). The mystery puzzled me for years - I started revisiting WS the year before WAPol solved it, wondering if we’d ever get an answer, then..!! So proud of them.

Anyway it’s nice to stop lurking, even if it means y’all are reading these off-topic monologues sometimes..? Ha, sorry :)
Yes, it has a lot of advantages as a hobby, eg you don't even have to get out of your PJ's!:D Also it keeps the little grey cells working. And it would be a good hobby for someone who is physically disabled, I would think. (Not me, but who knows what the advancing years will bring?!)

That would indeed be interesting, in a gruesome way. I was thinking that might be why he took them to be buried there, if that was his particular "graveyard". But that can't be so, can it, seeing he tried to leave by the Myrtleford gate?

Yes, gruesome, but gives pause for thought with mentions elsewhere on here of people gone missing over a period of years.

I'm not familiar enough with the territory to know the significance of particular gates.

I've been working on the assumption that their bodies were burned in the campsite fire before being moved to this site

To find dentures but not a jaw or a skull?

This is so shocking to have happened to an elderly couple just enjoying a quite time with nature.

I've been working on the assumption that their bodies were burned in the campsite fire before being moved to this site

Given what I've seen of traditional funeral pyres, it takes a pretty big bundle of combustible material to effectively burn corpses and I think I'd expect more residue at the site.

However, I don't know what the perpetrator tried to do with fire, other than probably hope to destroy what he may have considered obvious evidence.

Although the fire suggests that something violent has occurred there, has the possibility been discussed that it might have been an accidental byproduct of an altercation? Primus type stove and/or lamp knocked over into tent?

DNA testing on recently deceased corpses can take a matter of hours, but analysis on older bodies becomes more complex, particularly if all that remains are bones.

Experts in the field of forensic science claim techniques are constantly changing as new methods become available and validated, but the extraction of DNA from bone material remains for now a time-consuming and laborious process.

Bones need to be cleaned and powdered to enhance access of extraction chemicals.

The extraction procedure itself may take several hours or days depending on the condition of the test sample.

Russell Hill, Carol Clay: Evidence found near shallow grave could be key in identifying remains | Daily Mail Online

Thank you for clarifying, motomike.

I might be wrong, but I think I read that his wife sometimes tuned in while he was away, to hear if he was ok.. Maybe that’s why he didn’t mention CC.
Yes I know she did, but didn't know if that was public knowledge so did not mention it, just in case

the concrete fire pit at that site is only about 1.5m diameter so I don't think that would be big enough. assuming you are thinking the bodies were taken to the nearby fire pit for incineration. The heat of the tent fire I dont think would be enough to incinerate the bodies and leave no obvious human remains.
Edited to improve clarity.

Last edited:
And just to,add to my last post, for @Arboreal - we know he didn’t take Zeka, and he’d be a complete numpty to try and take Herne Spur out, especially alone and with a trailer on in the middle of the night (I dunno that he’d have made it out), so he must’ve taken Wombat Range, which is easier going anyway. I think I probably said that way back somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth