Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #6 *charges*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually been having a think about what I said and I’m changing my opinion of John Silvesters piece. Now that I’ve thought about it some more, I just reckon it’s not so much that he doesn’t know the area, it’s more that I think it’s actually just a really sloppy bit of journalism.

There’s been more than enough info put out about the exact location of camps - where Russell, Carol and the proposed killer were camped, where the witnesses were camped that heard the 4by turning around, and there’s that many maps out there with that info on, plus the gate location etc - so to get it wrong is pretty lazy. Really brings the written part of the article into question too.

As I have said previously why would an accused risk life in jail by talking when they can just choose to remain silent and be no worse off.

Depends on the personality. Innocent people will talk to police almost automatically, so guilty people often try to erect an edifice of innocence by doing likewise.

Some POIs will consider the process of outsmarting police an intellectual challenge and play along for as long as it takes.

If the interviewers are experienced enough, they can play along happily and empathetically with the POI for ages accruing hours of recorded statements freely given, which can contain claims that can later be proven false.

There are plenty of defence lawyers who will advise "Don't say anything", and that may be great advice, but ultimately the personality of the POI will make that decision.

Depends on the personality. Innocent people will talk to police almost automatically, so guilty people often try to erect an edifice of innocence by doing likewise.

Some POIs will consider the process of outsmarting police an intellectual challenge and play along for as long as it takes.

If the interviewers are experienced enough, they can play along happily and empathetically with the POI for ages accruing hours of recorded statements freely given, which can contain claims that can later be proven false.

There are plenty of defence lawyers who will advise "Don't say anything", and that may be great advice, but ultimately the personality of the POI will make that decision.

I wonder if the accused had a story to tell after the arrest that differs to what the LE are suggesting? And perhaps after 20 months he figured his story was bullet proof (no pun intended) so he had no issue with telling it..??

I wonder if the accused had a story to tell after the arrest that differs to what the LE are suggesting? And perhaps after 20 months he figured his story was bullet proof (no pun intended) so he had no issue with telling it..??

Given that he'd been interviewed earlier, and that the 4WD of interest was heavily publicized, he'd surely have imagined the time when he'd be interviewed again and so have a story ready.

Again, depending on the personality involved, the confidence level and degree of tenacity in holding to a particular line of events over hours in the face of contrary facts can vary. Some people can stare you in the face and lie unblinkingly.

Actually been having a think about what I said and I’m changing my opinion of John Silvesters piece. Now that I’ve thought about it some more, I just reckon it’s not so much that he doesn’t know the area, it’s more that I think it’s actually just a really sloppy bit of journalism.

There’s been more than enough info put out about the exact location of camps - where Russell, Carol and the proposed killer were camped, where the witnesses were camped that heard the 4by turning around, and there’s that many maps out there with that info on, plus the gate location etc - so to get it wrong is pretty lazy. Really brings the written part of the article into question too.
It’s been years since I’ve been to AU and have never been to that area and even I knew better.

I’ve been looking around to find out more detail about the drone, because I thought that it was established that it hadn’t been found…only because 9news said this:

View attachment 325235

Then I was reading the Age article by John Silvester, which confirmed they hadn’t found it.

Any thoughts?
Yes they found a drone but it was not the one that belonged to RH.

GL was interviewed in 2020 & told LE he didn't see RH & CC. I believe witnesses told LE the blue 4WD campsite was pretty close to RH & CC's campsite. I wonder whether GL told LE in 2020 exactly where his campsite was, also whether LE already knew from other witnesses how close their campsites were. It's possible the proximity of the 2 campsites & likelihood of seeing RH & CC was a focus of the recent interviews.

Given that he'd been interviewed earlier, and that the 4WD of interest was heavily publicized, he'd surely have imagined the time when he'd be interviewed again and so have a story ready.

Again, depending on the personality involved, the confidence level and degree of tenacity in holding to a particular line of events over hours in the face of contrary facts can vary. Some people can stare you in the face and lie unblinkingly.

It’s been years since I’ve been to AU and have never been to that area and even I knew better.

It looks like the discussed map in the JS article was put together by another party, but presumably JS procured this image personally for this piece? I don't knowing anything about JS's credentials and reputation as a journalist - In this context The Age's article seems informative as it gives some insight as to what was going on at certain stages of the investigation whilst GL was being investigated as a POI / suspect.
Perhaps this was speculation on the JS's part, yet written as fact.

In any case the misleading map was a mistake for The Age to publish. Upon closer inspection the route traces in the wrong direction on Great Alpine road, as if the alleged turned right at St Bernard's Hospice - As opposed to turning left towards Hotham Resort Western Boundary (The location of the fixed cameras)

I am fairly certain the drone has not been found yet (or at least the LE aren't saying it has been found) as I can't remember anywhere here on WS discussing the location of where they found it... I could be wrong though ;)

Thanks, I wondered if someone had let that slip because LE had and weren’t saying.

From another forum

It is alleged Lynn not just threatened to kill his first wife's pet pig, who she was deeply attached to, but he went ahead and did that in front of her.

It is further alleged more recently that the dog of a neighbor was found with its throat cut. There is no evidence to link Lynn to that, but after the alleged pig incident there is reasonable suspicion. Be crazy not to, in light of the fact that he has been charged with two murders.

Lynn is known to have a low threshold for noise and used to camp in the back yard of his former house when his kids were young.

That might give credence to the hostility towards a drone flying over head.

There is still total radio silence about what happened to his SECOND wife/partner from Doha.

There is a big story there that is one of the biggest missing pieces.

Hey @Motomike

I'm not sure if I am crossing the line here so will understand if you don't want to comment...
After seeing the pic of the accused in the media, do you remember ever crossing paths with him in your travels?

I think I remember reading somewhere here on WS that Russell had previously had an altercation with someone in a similar area and am wondering if once the pics of the accused were shown, it has triggered memories from other people that may have come across this guy...

....again, no probs if you don't want to or can't comment...

Thanks for the insight Alicia!

Gosh! That is very scary!

Does this fit with your own recollection of how you knew the accused?
Absolutely I knew about the pig, Lisa had it from when it was a baby.
My recollection was that it was the neighbours dog from mt Macedon But perhaps it happened again.
Everything this person has been saying in the other forum is spot on.

From another forum

It is alleged Lynn not just threatened to kill his first wife's pet pig, who she was deeply attached to, but he went ahead and did that in front of her.

It is further alleged more recently that the dog of a neighbor was found with its throat cut. There is no evidence to link Lynn to that, but after the alleged pig incident there is reasonable suspicion. Be crazy not to, in light of the fact that he has been charged with two murders.

Lynn is known to have a low threshold for noise and used to camp in the back yard of his former house when his kids were young.

That might give credence to the hostility towards a drone flying over head.

There is still total radio silence about what happened to his SECOND wife/partner from Doha.

There is a big story there that is one of the biggest missing pieces.
That poor woman. My pet bird is my life and if someone were to harm him in front of me it'd break me in pieces.

Really feel for GLs first wife, and probably his second and perhaps third.

I've not read all your posts Alicia so forgive me if my replies are ignorant in any way.

Hey @Motomike

I'm not sure if I am crossing the line here so will understand if you don't want to comment...
After seeing the pic of the accused in the media, do you remember ever crossing paths with him in your travels?

I think I remember reading somewhere here on WS that Russell had previously had an altercation with someone in a similar area and am wondering if once the pics of the accused were shown, it has triggered memories from other people that may have come across this guy...

....again, no probs if you don't want to or can't comment...
No I have not seen GL before and I don't think RH did either. About 2 years before we last heard from Russell, he and another member of our group were camped at King Billy 2, North east of Wonnangatta and was visited by a strange bloke who seemed to think they were camping in his private camping area. We now think this may have been the one referred to as the Button man, but we don't know that for sure. Nothing untoward happened but they didn't feel comfortable. This may be the incident you are referring to. King Billy 2 is quite some distance from where RH and CC camped in the Wonnangatta Valley so I don't thing there is any link there to pursue, even though in the early days the media concentrated on him as a suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks