Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

On March 1 last year, police allege Lynn took detectives to a section of Rose River Road and showed them where he disposed of the couple's mobile phones. John Dickie told the court police would go back to the area where he allegedly discarded them.

While no trial date has been set, a Supreme Court judicial registrar suggested police make finding those phones its priority. "I appreciate the police will be working hard at this but the sooner any of those further investigation inquiries can be made the better," he said.

Mr Dickie said the police investigation into the alleged murders would continue until the final moments of the expected trial.

'The investigation in this case will continue until verdict, until the jury go out so I can't guarantee anything your honour,' Mr Dickie told the court.

GLwill remain in custody until his next scheduled court appearance in May, when a battle over the admissibility of his record of interview to police will begin.

Dann, KC, told the court the outcome of that argument would likely alter how his defence is run. "Depending on the pre-trial, the way the prosecution will present their case may be dramatically different. Both sides would need some time to reflect on the position once those rulings are made" he said.

New search to find phones of allegedly murdered campers

Special Operations Group officers had descended from the sky to arrest Lynn in November 2021.

Must have been a bit of a shock to him at the time.

On March 1 last year, police allege Lynn took detectives to a section of Rose River Road and showed them where he disposed of the couple's mobile phones. John Dickie told the court police would go back to the area where he allegedly discarded them.

While no trial date has been set, a Supreme Court judicial registrar suggested police make finding those phones its priority. "I appreciate the police will be working hard at this but the sooner any of those further investigation inquiries can be made the better," he said.

Mr Dickie said the police investigation into the alleged murders would continue until the final moments of the expected trial.

'The investigation in this case will continue until verdict, until the jury go out so I can't guarantee anything your honour,' Mr Dickie told the court.

GLwill remain in custody until his next scheduled court appearance in May, when a battle over the admissibility of his record of interview to police will begin.

Dann, KC, told the court the outcome of that argument would likely alter how his defence is run. "Depending on the pre-trial, the way the prosecution will present their case may be dramatically different. Both sides would need some time to reflect on the position once those rulings are made" he said.

New search to find phones of allegedly murdered campers
I'm struggling to picture in my mind that GL would do what he did with their bodies...but then kind of just toss their phones into the bush or river somewhere...
I guess we'll have to wait and see how this one plays out.

The phones have gone the same way as the trailer - never to be found. I cannot help but think GL is playing a damn good game of cat & mouse as he knows they have evidence he was the killer but little to no evidence of why they were killed.

Maybe the fact that he turned off the phones and disposed of them helps to show "intent". The following "cover up" after the murders adds to him being "aware" of what he was doing and this not being accidental IMO.

Even though he has allegedly made many admissions in the Police interviews, his defence is trying to get these struck out as "inadmissible" (so the prosecution cannot use this information in the trial).

The more physical evidence the Police can collect then the better for the prosecution IMO. Helps paint the wider picture.

GH tried to get rid of all the physical evidence so a large % of the evidence is circumstantial & the defence is trying to get this wiped out before the trial.

I just wish they could find the trailer and that would seal the deal.

There would be a lot of physical evidence on that trailer - before he made it disappear.

Here's my news for the day. I rang Crime Stoppers a few minutes ago and was hoping it would be in Victoria but it's the same telephone number Australia-wide and I got on to NSW. I told her I'm only a member of the public who has followed this case from the beginning and I just wanted to pass on a suggestion that VicPol might find helpful. I said that if she thought it was useless she should disregard it completely.

She's familiar with this case and asked me what my message was. To my great surprise she said she is going to pass it on to VicPol so I told her where and who it should be directed to.

She asked for my name and contact details. I gave them to her but said no-one need contact me as I was only making a suggestion and that the reason I was doing this is because I know from experience that detectives don't always think outside the box.

So that's it folks. I don't want to say what my message was but you never know what might help in a big investigation. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

My very brief summary:

GL murdered Russell firstly, then Carol.
Efficiently in quick succession 2-3 minutes maybe 1 minute
He spent 1-2 hours planning murders after agitation from drone or camping spot argument.
Post mortem went to work to cover up I SO seriously cannot believe that this was the first time he moved and disposed of bodies. He did bloody well covering the initial crime scene up and going back and forth.

I have not seen 1 report of him panicking or acting irrationally after a double homicide.

Everything seems completely controlled, calculated, efficient with magnificent efforts to cover up.

Where is the trailer?

GL is so full of sh$t IMO.

Fall on your sword you loser.

Nah I don't believe an Airline Captain would commit spontaneous premediated murder over an argument. He was not some random crazy. It is certainly very unlikely. The most likely scenario is an incident that simply got out of hand quickly which is more common and plausible. I think he produced the gun to intimidate the couple, a scuffle occurred resulting in killing the man, and then he likely killed the only witness.

Yes in that sense but its still different from premeditating to murder both of them to begin with. After the first death it became a matter of self preservation and people can do awful things in that sense.

btw anyone, does this forum have a dark mode? I cant find it just wondering if im missing something. cheers.

No one intimates a person with a loaded weapon unless they're intending to use it, knowing full well it could result in death or injury if the trigger is pulled. It's premeditation to bring a weapon into a fight/disagreement.
Imo, this is the reason GL has introduced the scenario that RH seized the weapon from his vehicle but strangely, RH stood his ground beside his own vehicle after retrieving it. RH has to be the aggressor and caused his own and Carol's death.
This is a highly implausible scenario, add to it, why wrestle the weapon away from RH when he knew it was loaded, in his own story, RH wouldn't know it was loaded but he did. Whose finger was on the trigger?
Did he fear for his life or just wanted his possession back?
Killers who go to extraordinary lengths to cover up a crime seem to have the most fantastical stories about what happened when they're captured. Why not go to the police in the first place?

Repainting his truck the first time points to him being involved in an altercation or misdemeanor he could have lost his job over, I imagine he's 'a slash their tyres and run', type of guy. Jmo

Repainting his truck the first time points to him being involved in an altercation or misdemeanor he could have lost his job over, I imagine he's 'a slash their tyres and run', type of guy. Jmo

Yes I've wondered what was happening around the first time he repainted the vehicle.
I think something happened that he wanted to try and keep his distance from.
And I don't believe either times were because he just wanted a change of colour or to make it look better.

He wanted it to "look like a different vehicle" Both times, in my opinion.

Last edited:

I remember this case in Melbourne a few years back where the accused claimed he acted in self defense and was aquitted of murder. Interestingly he'd wrapped the body and stuffed it into an air conditioning pipe and was going to dispose of it before handing himself to police.
I thought some may find this interesting as there are similarities to this case.

I remember this case in Melbourne a few years back where the accused claimed he acted in self defense and was aquitted of murder. Interestingly he'd wrapped the body and stuffed it into an air conditioning pipe and was going to dispose of it before handing himself to police.

I remember that case. I don't think it should have been classified as not murder.

I thought some may find this interesting as there are similarities to this case.
I suppose abig difference is that person handed themselves in, where IMO GL would never have done this and went to again IMO extreme lengths to try and cover this up

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back